Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Impossible to clean install win 10 from usb/iso after drive has been formatted.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kinotropiks

Kinotropiks

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

Hello Bleepingcomputer 16x16_smiley-happy.png

Im new on the forum, al though i have been reading articles or forum topics here a couple of time. Now, reading is not enough, and i would apreciate some help or suggestions about issues Im having with win 10 on my acer aspire laptop.

over the past week, i have tried to clean install win 10 on my aspire e17 (using every possible recovery and reset option from both the usb flash drive i had created after the very first install one year ago AND from an Iso dvd also created from my windows 10 with media creation tool recently.)
Every attempt to do so has failed, at various levels of progression. It's Been driving me crazy ! I have asked a friand for advice (not sure i shouldve trusted him..)He Told me He had formatted the drive to try and solve the problème. I ended up with an empty hard drive, even the partitions are gone (Acer, esp, recovery, system... Everything is gone after the failed win 10 recoveries/reset attempts !!!), making my hdd non bootable device .
If I believe these issues and install errors are caused by the system image partitions on usb/iso not matching the hdd ones (ie NONE), im not an expert and would really appreciate the help of the community in order not to create more issues than these resets attempts have already created.
I have à Win 10 64 bits family edition, that came installed when i purchased my aspire e17(snid is 61107258766.) i bought it in a french shop in may 2016(i'm french).
Thanks for your help 16x16_smiley-happy.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

I would try the following. Instead of letting the Media Creation Tool create the DVD or USB flash drive use the iso option. After downloading the iso file download Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Attach your USB flash drive and start Rufus. Make sure your flash drive is detected. In the partition scheme dropdown box select GPT, not MBR. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see iso image in the dropdown box click the small icon and browse to the iso file. Press Start.

Boot the USB flash drive and at the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart   Opens diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clean        Removes all partitions if any and sets the drive for a clean install

convert GPT       Required in order to boot from a UEFI computer.

exit      exits diskpart

exit      exits command prompt

continue with the install.  I think your computer is UEFI from what I have read. You can verify this if there is a SecureBoot setting when you tap F2 at boot.

Edit: From your thread title it seems you have downloaded the iso already. If so, try downloading on a different computer. It's possible the iso file is being corrupted in the download.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 June 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#3 Kinotropiks

Kinotropiks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

Hello johnC, thanks for the reply. 

I have already donne the diskpart opération to clean and convert gpt on the drive. Choosing "troubleshooting">reset this pc> delete everything (not keep my files) and it have me an error : (translated from french) impossible to reset your pc. A needed diskpart partition is missing.

but thats when i try to boot from Iso dvd i created with media creation tool.

ill try your tips, but i wont be able to acces another pc immediately

I have 2 questions : 

- where can i download a win10 iso? 

- can i do it from any pc, No matter it's os or build ?

- should i overwrite my old usb win10bootable flash drive with new Iso and Rufus , or buy a new usb drive. In other words : do i NEED to keep the "original usb boot drive ? (The one i created just after 1st install, and that apparently never worked, even the first Time I tried to reinstall,6 month ago...)

thanks again for helping :)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

You can use the Media Creation Tool with the option to download an iso for use later vs a DVD or USB flash drive. You can run the Media Creation Tool on any Windows 7 or later computer.

You do not need to keep the original USB boot drive. The Media Creation Tool will download the latest iso. I believe the Media Creation Tool will offer you the latest version of Windows 10. I did notice that you said the version installed was the Windows 10 Family Edition. Is this Windows 10 Home?

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You will need to download a new ISO file from here and during download choose your language and country and all that!!

Good luck!!!!

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

@Kinotropiks

Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

If I believe these issues and install errors are caused by the system image partitions on usb/iso not matching the hdd ones (ie NONE), im not an expert and would really appreciate the help of the community in order not to create more issues than these resets attempts have already created.
I have à Win 10 64 bits family edition, that came installed when i purchased my aspire e17(snid is 61107258766.) i bought it in a french shop in may 2016(i'm french).@Kinotropiks

Unfortunately as you know your System was rendered useless and unless your Personal Files and Data were backed up, they were lost also when the hard drive was formatted. Not to worry though, help is available.

You will need access to a working computer, or a friend with a working computer to help you. You will need a flash drive Larger Than 4GB. (a 4GB flash drive does not have enough room after formatting to hold the 64bit. version of Windows 10 Home.(Important... Format the USB Drive prior to using)

Choose the Create Windows 10 installation media by clicking the Download tool now.
When asked What do you want to do with MediaCreationTool.exe (17.5 MB)? From: download.microsoft.com
Click Run.

After a short time a UAC box will display asking you to grant permission for this program to make changes to your system
Click Yes.

On the Applicable notices and license terms screen
Click Accept

On the What do you want to do? screen
Place the bullet in Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC
Click Next

On the Select language, architecture and edition screen
First Uncheck the Use the recommended options for this PC box.
Then Select the Language you prefer: The default is English if you desire a different language, ex. Francias choose from the dropdown list.
Then Select the Edition: The default is Windows 10 Leave It Windows 10
Then Select the Architecture: 64-bit (x64)
Click Next.

On the Choose which media to use screen
a. If you are using a USB Flash Drive make sure it is plugged in now!
Place the bullet in USB flash drive. This is your best choice!
Click Next and Follow the instructions in a. below
or
b. If you are creating an ISO File, please note: You will need a tool such as Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to create a bootable media which you can download later (*1).
Place the bullet in ISO file
Click Next and Follow the instructions in b. below

a. If you chose USB flash drive On the select a USB flash drive Make sure the USB flash drive is identified
Click Next

b. If you chose ISO file you will be prompted the save location for the ISO file. I recommend saving the ISO file to your desktop for easy access later. The default name is Windows ISO Click Save
Sit back and relax as your selection is processed. When the process you've selected finishes you will either have a bootable UDB flash drive (a.) or the ISO file (b.) from which you will create bootable media USB drive or DVD.

(*1) The Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, available here: http://wudt.codeplex.com/

When you are ready to install Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit. be sure to change the boot order in the BIOS to reflect the media you will be using. (Use F-12 Key to temporarily change the boot order for the installation) do not make the change permanent because the hard drive will be the primary boot device at the next reboot which occurs automatically)

If you need further assistance, the Community is here to help!

Best Regards

Old Rocker

#7 Kinotropiks

Kinotropiks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

Hello johnC, hello all, thanks for your numerous replies. A lot of question again, thanks for your patience ;)

- has the usb/dvd download tool the same function as Rufus (ie create a bootable usb ?). Which one is the best ?

- johnC, yes I bet what i called family is actually home (but is called famille in french, which me and family)

- whats the mots reliable option : download iso from windoWs web site or download with media creation tool ?

- is the fact that i have No oem partition anymore a warranty -voider ?

- is it better to do sys backups from dédicaced 3rd party softs or from the acer recovery manager ?

Ps: i backed up my personnal files on an external hdd before my friendster formatted. Only thing ive done right i guess ah ah;)

thanks all

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

People have had success with Rufus where the USB created with the Media Creation tool failed. I suggested it as a possible alternative.

If Windows 10 was pre-installed on the desktop then the key is embedded in firmware. If you upgraded from a previous OS then you have a Digital License stored on Microsoft servers so it's no problem to reinstall Windows 10 and have it activate.

Not having an OEM partition will not affect the warranty. 

I can't say which version of the iso is more reliable. You can try downloading from one and if it fails try the other.

I would do disk image backups using a third party software either free using Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper, or paid using Acronis True Image. Macrium also has a paid version that allows file backups in addition to disk image backups.

The last option would be to test the hard drive and memory using a bootable disk like UBCD if you still get Windows 10 failures.

#9 Kinotropiks

Kinotropiks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

thanks a lot JohnC, your answers are very clear.

I have downloaded iso from windows off. site+rufus.

Im creating the bootable flash drive tonight and and try to install.

I'll let you know :)

#10 Kinotropiks

Kinotropiks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

Hi everybody,

Yaheeeeeee !!

This time, thanks to your support, the install was successful ! :)
No error during the whole installation process :) Thanks a lot ! :) I'll remember this for the next time :)

Everything seems to work fine, except for some errors I noticed in the events log though...

Is this the right thread to ask for help about them here, or should I ask in another section ?

I'd like to understand what these errors are, and why they occur.

(I think I might have done something I shouldn't have, that confuses windows a little bit :
After the 930 Go c: (sytem) partion was created automatically, I wanted to add a D: patition for all my data. (should have done it during the installation process I guess...)

I tried to shrink the c: partition via windows tools, but it would only allow me to shrink it to 450Go or so (leaving half of my drive for the OS...). So, after reading some tutorials, I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to split the only existing partition (c:), leaving 100Go for the system, and the remaining space for data...
Does that mess with the way windows classifies files etc...

I know I'm asking you guys a lot, but could you have a look at the events log errors here. If not, I totally understand, and I'll open a new thread in the right section :)

Once again, thanks for your help ! :)

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

Glad you were able to successfully install Windows 10. :thumbsup:

If you used Minitools to do the job and the computer boots normally then everything is fine. If possible please post a screenshot of the Minitools Window showing partitions.

In regards to the Event Errors I would start a new thread.

#12 Kinotropiks

Kinotropiks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

Hey John,

Yeah, glad it worked too ;) Thanks again :)

Ok, I'll post my questions about error logs somewhere else :)

Here is the screenshot of MiniTools after installing + splitting c: to get c:(system) and d:(date). How does it look to you ? Looks ok to me..
Attached File  Partitions.jpg   89.99KB   0 downloads

Edited by Kinotropiks, 05 June 2017 - 02:55 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

Looks good. Take care and good luck on the Event Errors.

#14 Kinotropiks

Kinotropiks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Thank you very much John :) Take care :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users