Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4K monitor, how do I make things larger on Linux Mint 18.1?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:03 AM

The time has happened (as I stated it would), sooner than I thought, am into the World of 4K! :thumbsup:

Now I have a issue with screen resolution, which was fixable automatically in Windows 10, haven't tried W7 yet. How do I make everything larger so that I can see things? Everything is so small, other than the browser, which I now have magnified at 150% (same as native view for everything on W10), which I had to do in order to type this post. Have checked for newer drivers, any that was installed was via the PPA with the rest of updates (NVIDIA 381.22). 

Yes there's lots of real estate, just need to learn the settings. Specs below (even the Terminal is tiny, had to enlarge to full page to use). :lol:

Spoiler

BTW, have already tried the trick that Al shown me back in this older Topic (Post #38), the Grub menu is small, even though after going into Recovery Mode, typing 'c' then videoinfo, the suggested mode was 3840x2160, so followed Al's instructions to set the video in that mode, to no avail. BTW, this is the Linux MInt 18.1 install that required the Grub Rescue repair, there's more than the usual number of choices at boot, and this may be the root of the Grub issue. Yet likely not the desktop viewing one, will be soon removing Mint off of this PC & onto my XPS 8700, which is a bit more powerful & has nearly the same GPU, only the EVGA 1060 SSC edition rather than FTW + ACX 3.0 on here (the SSC also has ACX 3.0). Not much difference between the two other than a upwards bump in clock speed on the FTW, and obviously, both are 4K ready, maybe not so much for gaming though. Although that was never my intent, just wanted a 4K capable card (is actually 8K capable) at a fair market price ($260-300 range). 

Ironically, this monitor was $20 less than the 24" ASUS (1920x1080) that's served me well for over 3 years, not a single bad pixel, won't be ditching it, will be used for secondary computers, to include one AMD build & a surprise rebuild of a legendary (or infamous) PC to be announced upon completion, will also be running Mint 18.1, or 18.2 if released at time of completion.

Any solution to the graphics issue will be highly appreciated. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:43 AM

This is a glimpse of what I now have. 

pPrSPE0.png

Everything is so small, have to magnify much anything to see, desktop icons, folders & Start Menu cannot be adjusted like browsers, and have searched extensively for an answer. Kind of surprising there's none, not like 4K arrived on the scene last week. :lol:

Makes me wonder how 8K will be handled once more widespread, there's a few monitors already on the market, Dell released the first a few months back, although will be out of my budget for the next decade! :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

Open up your system settings and go to "general" and play with the "user interface scaling"

Cinnamon doesnt enable hidpi by default as it can be wonky on some setups.

Also this is very hardware/firmware intensive and some of those things can be funny under linux

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 June 2017 - 07:54 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:31 AM

MadmanRB, thanks for the assist, maybe I'll find a setting. :thumbup2:

Speaking of which, all are shown while on this page at the same time! :P

iEwUyka.png

Glad the the browser holds settings, or at least on this site, if there was any single thing I learned from a former member whom I won't call by name, this was the one. Although don't understand why Google doesn't implement the magnified setting globally, rather than just here. Guess will have to do my email next, while some may consider seeing 48 emails a plus, kind of hard for me to read. 4K is cool, yet it's better for video, which I watch a lot of, and text is OK if setup right. W10 auto increased everything by 150%, although I feel that for text, 175% is optimal for myself (in need of a new set of glasses, maybe I can find some cool '3D' ones). :lol:

My system settings must be different from yours, have yet to find one, in fact, checked these before creating this Topic & after you brought to my attention, have searched again, maybe am looking in the wrong place, or need to heed your advice above, because as soon as I wrap up a few loose ends, LM is coming off of here, have another PC it's going on, although still will be connected to the slower HDMI port (30Hz). I would had liked to had two DP inputs plus two HDMI, or one HDMI & DVI-D, although a 28" Samsung 4K for $299.99 at Costco ($100 less than on the Samsung site), it was a steal. My thoughts were in the $500-600 range, and after talking to others, most stated that a 2K would be better & have a much faster refresh rate (144Hz) at that price range, a few had one connected to gaming consoles. Yet to me, 2K at $500+ is highway robbery. :hysterical:

I was figuring that by now, most everyone except me would be into 4K, seems that in other areas, I'm struggling to keep up, and honestly, am getting tired of trying. Yet I did want the ultimate monitor for video, have other plans, to include a TV tuner installed in my main PC & a quad core Amazon Fire Box installed, which has lots of 4K content. Plus NFL games looks great in 4K & will sound great on a set of these, as well as all of my content, to include music. :thumbup2:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011UB9CQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2VHZ4U78MTNA0&colid=2T3N3UM3BB2Q3

Price has dropped by $30 since placed on my wish list. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 05 June 2017 - 03:37 AM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:41 AM

By chance, would this have anything to do with the fonts? 

I ask because a setting was found, that by increasing a number, the test was enlarged a bit. The bad is, there's 4-5 sections to adjust, don't want to throw everything out of whack. :P

Cat

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

For your browser, I would just set the zoom in a bit to enlarge everything. I'm sure there is a way to enlarge everything in Mint as well... I know you can in Ubuntu.

Sorry, not much help other than that.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 05 June 2017 - 09:48 AM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

Have you tried a lower resolution?

To change the resolution, launch the System Settings application by going to the mintmenu, searching for “System Settings”, and then clicking on its icon when it appears in the search results. After Systems Settings appears, click on the Display icon, which will be located under the Hardware category.

The Display item will then expand. To change the resolution, click on the Resolution drop-down menu, and you will see all the available resolutions listed. Select the appropriate resolution and click the Apply button, and Linux Mint will change to that resolution. You will then see a prompt asking if you want to keep the current display configuration, or to move back to the old one. This is a failsafe measure in case you select a resolution your monitor cannot handle – if you do not confirm the new resolution within 30 seconds, Linux Mint will move back to the old one.

Change Display Resolution In Linux Mint

Edited by Al1000, 05 June 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:05 AM

For your browser, I would just set the zoom in a bit to enlarge everything. I'm sure there is a way to enlarge everything in Mint as well... I know you can in Ubuntu.

Sorry, not much help other than that.

DC, this may be the answer, because every time I visit this site, the 150% browser setting holds. :)

Will have to do the same for most frequented sites, to especially include email, while being able to see 50 emails would look to be good, not so much when tiny & more so when one's eyesight isn't the best. 

It'll be that I'll want the 4K for other things, such as Google Earth & video viewing, of which am adding a TV tuner to my main PC (no LInux distro) to use with a Amazon Fire Box, or anything where 4K content is optimal. After all, had I wanted a 1080p monitor for everything, then I could had put that $299.99 into (another) needed GPU upgrade, as I have three 1080p monitors & two more that runs at 1600x900 (also considered some type of HD), as well as a nice flat screen (with genuine steel frame) 1920x1024 monitor of the NEC brand from 2003 with a DVI-D port, back in the day when most had only VGA. 

Speaking of which, one of those 1080p monitors cost me $20 more than this 4K, and the NEC was over $450 more (had I purchased it new), it's still in mint condition & was gifted to me by a relative, along with a PC that I'm restoring.

So your answer may be the best one, although still need to find a way to enlarge the panel icons & folders a bit. Messing with the font adjustment only served to block the Start 'Menu' text. :P

Cat

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:49 AM

Have you tried a lower resolution?

To change the resolution, launch the System Settings application by going to the mintmenu, searching for “System Settings”, and then clicking on its icon when it appears in the search results. After Systems Settings appears, click on the Display icon, which will be located under the Hardware category.

The Display item will then expand. To change the resolution, click on the Resolution drop-down menu, and you will see all the available resolutions listed. Select the appropriate resolution and click the Apply button, and Linux Mint will change to that resolution. You will then see a prompt asking if you want to keep the current display configuration, or to move back to the old one. This is a failsafe measure in case you select a resolution your monitor cannot handle – if you do not confirm the new resolution within 30 seconds, Linux Mint will move back to the old one.

Change Display Resolution In Linux Mint

Al, I believe that DC gave me my answer for Web browser usage, although your input as always, is highly appreciated. :)

In fact, went back to my first GPU upgrade Topic in 2015 & tried your settings in Post #38 (using Nano) below to enlarge the Grub text, to no avail. Using the recommended option (3840x2160) placed it in the center of the monitor, so reverted to 1080p defaults, where it was at to begin with, didn't bother with others. I believe that somehow or the other, the Grub Customizer bootable ISO messed up some things, adding unneeded boot entries (total of no less than six & I believe 7) that's not present on my other UEFI PC (nor was on here prior) & who knows what else was borked? The reason why I used it was that unlike one of my other UEFI installs, placing the Mint bootloader in the Microsoft bootloader partition along with the W10 one didn't pan out, have no idea why, should had reinstalled at that point. I won't be recommending the tool to others, except those who are desperate for any solution. :lol:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573401/nvidia-graphics-issue-new-gpu-install/page-3 

Even the article you linked implied that it's best to run native resolution.

Typically a display will look best at its native resolution, and will look grainy and pixelated if you go any lower

So I guess will simply adjust the browser as needed, and try to figure out how to enlarge the panel, found that setting & increased a bit, from 24 to 28 (more caused distortion) & the folders, rather than the entire screen, which defeats the purpose of 4K. :)

Cat

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

Those settings in the other topic are only for the grub menu. In this instance you said you wanted "everything" to be larger, e.g. "desktop icons, folders & Start Menu." Using a lower resolution would seem to be the obvious solution. That would do exactly what you want to do, i.e. make everything larger.

Even the article you linked implied that it's best to run native resolution.

I had a look through all my posts in that topic, but don't see any links to any articles. In any case, the concern in that topic was only for the resolution of the grub menu, which is a completely different setting to screen resolution for the operating system once it's booted up.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

Thanks to everyone, including Al, have reached a happy medium. :)

Al, sorry about not being totally clear in the OP (although after re-reading, I did mention the boot menu in my first post), after all, we have to boot/login before getting to the desktop (the entire experience), so that's why I added the link to the prior Topic. It wasn't meant to change direction of this one, rather to add details in regards to what I tried to do on my own prior to Topic creation. If I made any error, it was that I added the same link in two posts. :)

Have adjusted browser settings on frequently visited Web pages & left the rest alone, other than increasing the panel dpi slightly, otherwise will be defeating the purpose of 4K. There were misunderstandings on my part as to the technology (figured that all OS's would self-adjust), now I know why things are setup as is, and don't know if a clean install (or running from Live media) would make any difference. 4K is optimized for video/gaming, and why many chooses 2K (1440p) instead to have the best of both Worlds (or a compromise), although at an highly inflated price for half of the screen area or pixels, so will be using it for more of these things, and keeping future Linux installs on 1080p monitor(s). 

This monitor & technology is still new to me & am learning the features on the run. was figuring that just like many other components in years past, most everyone was ahead of me on this & folks were loaded with answers, was the last upgrade I waited on to perform. 

So while not totally resolved, have at least made the monitor more comfortable to use, therefore will consider the Topic resolved.

Everyone's input has been greatly appreciated. :)

Cat

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

Your OP was perfectly clear, however my suggestion of lowering the resolution related to your desire to make "everything" bigger, when you are using the computer.

Have you tried using a lower resolution with videos/games, to see if you can actually notice any difference in quality?

Edited by Al1000, 06 June 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:45 AM

Al, yes I have, the good thing is that with some YouTube videos, although not all, there is a 4K setting, and can go to full screen to get the best, seeing details that I couldn't on a 1080p monitor. :)

Thankfully found the Eye Saver setting, now am not having pressure in the eyes after hours of browsing.

And did find the setting to reduce to 2K level (1440p), which helps a lot when it comes to desktop icons & while still a bit small, a happy medium, no longer have to fiddle with the browser on every site. When needed, can always revert to native resolution. This has been & still is a learning experience for me, hopefully will be fully adjusted in a month's time, am alternating between computers when I'm mostly reading text, 1080p is best for that, no adjustments needed. 

This will eventually become my 'media center' monitor, will be adding a dedicated TV card, professional quality headphones & an Amazon Fire Box, really the primary plan all along, just had to decide to either go with Kodi (more work) or a 3rd party TV box to reach my goal. Still am three components away, the ones just mentioned, and will have my own PC & media center in one package. Of course, when content makes it possible, will use native resolution. nothing like watching content on a 4K screen, be it a TV or PC monitor. Dedicated TV tuner cards (quality internal models, not USB crap) & devices like the Amazon Fire Box makes this possible, although not w/out a little investment.

Will try playing a bit with Kodi (now Plex?) on Linux Mint in the meantime, when I get caught up with my other work to be done, just to see how the platform has changed since the last time I tried, wasn't the best of experiences. While not a bad package within itself, would be even better for these to be pre-bundled to meet the needs of localized markets, with a wide variety of channels ready to go. :) 

My 4K experience & Linux is far from over, has just begun, there'll be bumps & turns in the highway, will work my way through these, just as I have with Linux Mint for over 8 years strong & growing. :thumbsup:

Cat

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:57 AM

So long as you can see the screen, I suppose is what matters. :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users