Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on which HGST HDD SATA to get

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LeeScott

LeeScott

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

Im getting quite frustrated trying to figure out which and where to get a new hdd.

I used to get the hgst 4tb from amazon, deskstar one i think the 7200rpm which used to fluctuate between £14 0 odd to about £120.

Ive put in an order from amazon for one since last year and it seems these are no longer valaible.sold. WHich is very frustrating in itself i was happy woth the price point for the TB.

What im getting more frustrated at is getting a higher capacity hgst drive which is not too expensive but the prices are much higher. Ie a 6tb is around 25% more and 8tb is around 30+% more compared to a 4tb at £120 price point.

I really need around 8tb straight away. And then would like to get ideas fo what to do as i know SSDs should have some massive storage capability soon, how soon not sure.

These drives should have lessened in price but with those floods in thailand and brexit it seems any reason is used to keep the price high despite increases in storage space.

So Looking on amzon there are so many hgst 8tbs. I checked Scan which had a good priced 6tb but reviews left said that a lot of people had recieved secondhand units and review (apart from one site which all had glowing reviews) all other review sites had very negative reviews - pretty much all one stars. I also saw another company Senetic i think, who had really good prices but it seems its a polish company operating in the UK so no idea of warranty from hgst if things go wrong plus the usual uk warranty it seems may not be honoured as the senetoc website only shows a link to the hgst support website in case you want any warranty - not good.

So, id like a 8-10tb or at least a 6tb hgst. It must be hgst. Unless WD has something with as good as the hgst ones in terms of failure rate/quality. I know WD own hgst.

Im torn, looking at:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HGST-Ultrastar-10000GB-Serial-internal/dp/B01HEF72ZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496546374&sr=8-2&keywords=10tb+hgst

Theres also another:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HGST-0F27452-ULTRASTAR-10TB-HUH721010ALE600/dp/B01IF644A2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496546374&sr=8-1&keywords=10tb+hgst

What is the difference between them. Its so confusing. Different model numbers too.

I previously thought of the 8tb from amazon at £354 but the above are better value for money. My other hesitation is that the above 10tb are from a company called DigitalShopper EU who ive never heard of and also not sure what the situation would be if i need help from hgst in the future just in case.

The hdd will be used in an external caddy or JBOD. Im not interested in a NAS as previously when i researched hdd's it seems these can be troublesome. Just looking for a sata one to use simply in a jbod or enclosure.

Thanks all

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2017 - 11:15 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

Im getting quite frustrated trying to figure out which and where to get a new hdd.
I used to get the hgst 4tb from amazon, deskstar one i think the 7200rpm which used to fluctuate between £14 0 odd to about £120.
Ive put in an order from amazon for one since last year and it seems these are no longer valaible.sold. WHich is very frustrating in itself i was happy woth the price point for the TB.

What im getting more frustrated at is getting a higher capacity hgst drive which is not too expensive but the prices are much higher. Ie a 6tb is around 25% more and 8tb is around 30+% more compared to a 4tb at £120 price point.

I really need around 8tb straight away. And then would like to get ideas fo what to do as i know SSDs should have some massive storage capability soon, how soon not sure.

SSDs are getting up in capacity. Samsung now offers a 4 TB SSD, but it is EXPENSIVE. It is about $1500 US for a 4 TB Samsung SSD. So, they are not quite to the capacity you want/need, but even if they were, you would have to sell your house and your car and half of your blood to be able to afford one. That means at this point, the only practical (ignoring cost) solution using SSDs that would provide the capacity you are looking for is if you use several SSDs in a RAID configuration...but then you would be looking at $3000 or more (you would need at least two 4 TB SSDs in RAID 0, aka stripped, or concatenated to get to at least 8 TB).

These drives should have lessened in price but with those floods in thailand and brexit it seems any reason is used to keep the price high despite increases in storage space.

So Looking on amzon there are so many hgst 8tbs. I checked Scan which had a good priced 6tb but reviews left said that a lot of people had recieved secondhand units and review (apart from one site which all had glowing reviews) all other review sites had very negative reviews - pretty much all one stars. I also saw another company Senetic i think, who had really good prices but it seems its a polish company operating in the UK so no idea of warranty from hgst if things go wrong plus the usual uk warranty it seems may not be honoured as the senetoc website only shows a link to the hgst support website in case you want any warranty - not good.

So, id like a 8-10tb or at least a 6tb hgst. It must be hgst. Unless WD has something with as good as the hgst ones in terms of failure rate/quality. I know WD own hgst.

Im torn, looking at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HGST-Ultrastar-10000GB-Serial-internal/dp/B01HEF72ZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496546374&sr=8-2&keywords=10tb+hgst

Theres also another:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HGST-0F27452-ULTRASTAR-10TB-HUH721010ALE600/dp/B01IF644A2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496546374&sr=8-1&keywords=10tb+hgst

What is the difference between them. Its so confusing. Different model numbers too.

I previously thought of the 8tb from amazon at £354 but the above are better value for money. My other hesitation is that the above 10tb are from a company called DigitalShopper EU who ive never heard of and also not sure what the situation would be if i need help from hgst in the future just in case.

The issue you are facing with the Hitachi/HGST drives is that WD is no longer manufacturing them to my knowledge. As part of regulatory approval for WD to buy/merge with HGST, they were required to sell off all the HGST "desktop" (aka 3.5") drive manufacturing to Toshiba. See the following article:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2619224/federal-regulations/ftc-to-require-western-digital-to-sell-off-assets-in-acquisition.html

This likely means that any HGST drives you are finding are just left over stock. This likely explains why Amazon itself is no longer selling them, but rather just third party sellers selling them through Amazon. So, this likely means that if you are dead set on an HGST drive, then you will likely have to go with a lesser known seller who then has a lesser know reputation. FWIW, this is also true when I looked at Newegg...the 10 TB drives offered through Newegg where also only through third party sellers.

If you want to buy through a more well know retailer, then you are likely going to have to go with a Seagate or WB drive (it looks like Toshiba does not offer a 10 TB 3.5" drive at this point). Both Seagate and WD drives are pretty reliable these days. Seagate in particular was hurt by some big time lemon drive models that they let through their quality control system a number of years back. They seem to have corrected that. Here are some articles that deal with reliability of drives to look at:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2724690/seagate-hgst.html
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/hgst-hard-disks-still-super-reliable-seagates-have-greatly-improved/

The last two articles are entirely based off of Backblaze's report. It is important to note some caveats with Backblaze's report and their usage. These caveats are explained well in this post from the first link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2724690/seagate-hgst.html#r16270047

The main gist of those caveats is that Backblaze is using consumer level drives in a server environment, which is different than how you will use the drive(s).

For me personally, I would not get overly concerned about differences in reliability between brands. Focus more on the individual drive models. And even then, I would argue that as long as you are backing up your data, then reliability should not be huge concern...after all if the drive dies, your data is still safe as your backed it up. So, in that sense, I then tend to focus more on the warranty period of the drives.

The hdd will be used in an external caddy or JBOD. Im not interested in a NAS as previously when i researched hdd's it seems these can be troublesome. Just looking for a sata one to use simply in a jbod or enclosure.

Thanks all

NAS has its advantages and disadvantages. I personally like using a NAS that can use 4 or more drives in a RAID 5 array (or similar type setup). It can give me a large storage capacity using smaller size drives (which are typically closer to the sweet spot price-wise...i.e. it typically costs less to buy two 4 TB drives than one 8 TB drive...but then you do typically need one extra drive that does not effectively increase storage capacity with RAID 5) and also provides some redundancy (if one drive fails, your data is still good). The downside can be overall expense as while the cost of the smaller drives themselves might be able the same cost as a single overall drive (when you have to factor in buying one additional smaller drive than what you need purely for capacity), you also have the cost of the NAS device itself. And it can be a bit more of a hassle to manage that just a single drive (i.e. you have to setup users and shares, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users