Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet after malware removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

#1 chaithep3

chaithep3

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Quite new but I require help.

So earlier today, I decided to get a malware scan on my (4 year old) laptop through Malwarebytes ver. 2.2.1 (I downloaded this program ages ago) and it had detected less than 10 malware so after the scan and removal, I was prompt to restart my system so I had decided to do so. Once that happened, I was unable to connect to the internet. I looked through my wi-fi drivers and it said's that it is working properly. All I've done now to try to fix this problem was to use ADwCleaner.exe to re-scan my laptop; after the scan, there were 60 files that were infected so I had it cleaned afterwards; but it still didn't fix my problem.

I'm in no rush right now but I'd like to solve this issue as soon as possible.

specs (if it helps):

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

EDIT: Safe Mode w/ Networking works perfectly fine.

Edited by chaithep3, 04 June 2017 - 11:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

See if the following helps. Type cmd in the search box and right click > Run As Administrator. Type the following commands

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

Reboot

#3 chaithep3

chaithep3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

See if the following helps. Type cmd in the search box and right click > Run As Administrator. Type the following commands

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

Reboot

Did not work sadly.

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

Navigate to Device Manager, click "show hidden devices", uninstall all flagged devices, and everything under "Network Adapters" and reboot.

Report what devices were flagged here.  (Pasting screen shot is easiest.)

Do you use a VPN?

#5 chaithep3

chaithep3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:29 PM

Navigate to Device Manager, click "show hidden devices", uninstall all flagged devices, and everything under "Network Adapters" and reboot.

Report what devices were flagged here.  (Pasting screen shot is easiest.)

Do you use a VPN?

I don't know what flagged devices would be but I do not use a VPN (at least I am very sure of it.)

Also, I wanted to clarify if you wanted me to uninstall all of my Network Adapters?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

Download Windows Repair. Only check Network Repair. Before checking Network Repair powercycle the computer. Pull the power and main battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power and main battery.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to you Network Adapters? Are you connected via Wifi or Ethernet? If Wifi can you connect using Ethernet?

#7 chaithep3

chaithep3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Download Windows Repair. Only check Network Repair. Before checking Network Repair powercycle the computer. Pull the power and main battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power and main battery.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to you Network Adapters? Are you connected via Wifi or Ethernet? If Wifi can you connect using Ethernet?

No errors with my adaptors, and I'll try it the Windows Repair program right away.

#8 unopie

unopie

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:45 PM

I've had this problem before after a fix was done on my computer, however, windows troubleshooter was able to fix it right away. Did you try that already? 

#9 chaithep3

chaithep3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

I've had this problem before after a fix was done on my computer, however, windows troubleshooter was able to fix it right away. Did you try that already? 

I've never used windows troubleshooter so you'll have to help me on that.

#10 chaithep3

chaithep3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

Downloaded Windows Repair; installed it and ran the program (only checked Network Repair); tried to power cycle my laptop (I of course did this before using Windows Repair); in the end; it didn't work.

#11 unopie

unopie

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

Uh, try right clicking the network icon in the system tray and press troubleshoot problems: aa4b99d133af9b322f4842176cf5959b.png

^It might look like a wifi symbol if you use a wifi adapter and not ethernet

#12 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

Downloaded Windows Repair; installed it and ran the program (only checked Network Repair); tried to power cycle my laptop (I of course did this before using Windows Repair); in the end; it didn't work.

Do Windows Repair again, this time check everything.  Just because it's the internet that doesn't work doesn't mean the cause couldn't be something else, like a corrupted system file, or permissions issue.  Also a necessary Service might be turned off.

Do Windows Repair again, this time check everything.

#13 chaithep3

chaithep3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

Uh, try right clicking the network icon in the system tray and press troubleshoot problems: aa4b99d133af9b322f4842176cf5959b.png

^It might look like a wifi symbol if you use a wifi adapter and not ethernet

It did not work; to be more clear, I had the icon of that the internet was working but it then went back to the normal icon of no access to that network.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:15 PM

If troubleshooting does not help then at an elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow

Edit: you may want to try reinstalling your network drivers from your computer's support site.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 June 2017 - 10:16 PM.

#15 chaithep3

chaithep3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:59 PM

Do Windows Repair again, this time check everything.  Just because it's the internet that doesn't work doesn't mean the cause couldn't be something else, like a corrupted system file, or permissions issue.  Also a necessary Service might be turned off.

Do Windows Repair again, this time check everything.

Sadly, it did not work.

If troubleshooting does not help then at an elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow

Edit: you may want to try reinstalling your network drivers from your computer's support site.

Seems logical to reinstall the driver after all of my attempts but I'll do so after trying out this command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users