Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many use the "Classic Shell" Menu?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: How many people use the Classic Shell Menu? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

How many people use the Classic Shell Menu

1. How many people use the Standard Menus (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. How many people use the "Classic Shell" Menu on Windows 8 (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. How many people use the "Classic Shell" Menu on Windows 10 (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

I have been really curious how many people use this Third Party Software "Classic Shell"?  I would really love to hear as many opinions as possible! or just a Vote would be great!

Edited by pcpunk, 04 June 2017 - 09:18 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

Whose sent spy you are?
And what happens to it, if you have got some randomly generated numbers?
Everyone uses, what likes to use. That's it.

Edited by zainmax, 03 June 2017 - 07:15 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,484 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

Now I see this other product that I did non know about, looks very nice also!

https://www.stardock.com/products/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,884 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

I don't use any of these products that attempt to make newer interfaces look and behave like old ones, and I strongly discourage my clients from doing so as well.

I have seen far too many people who love these freeze like the deer in the proverbial headlights when they have to deal with the native OS interface when visiting someone, wanting to look something up while they're in the library, etc.

It is well worth the effort to learn the native interface since the vast majority of machines that you encounter will be using just that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

I use Classic Start Menu on all of my W10 systems and wouldn't consider using Windows 10 without it. It's a great piece of software.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,484 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Brian, that's kinda how I feel also, but wanted to see how others felt!  I may consider this with Windows 8 because it is just a little confusing to me, but Windows 10 is pretty good IMO.  I'm impressed with it though, we don't make any crazy changes with it, like File Explorer, just the simple Menu that looks like Windows 7.

@Allan, Thanks again, this is all very important to me, any info coming from this community I really enjoy.  We use it on most all our installs also, but I need to use it more to see if I really like it.  I'm a sucker for shiny graphical stuff LOL and that is one reason why I like it.  I also feel it is super easy to maneuver around in, and find all the things I need.  Don't need the Tiles though, but some folks like that Live Feed and I'm not against it, it's pretty cool! 

I'll comment more when time allows!

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

You're welcome pcpunk. In my case it's not a matter of not being willing to accept change - in fact, I generally like "new" and tend to be the first to beta test or implement "new". Having said that, I prefer to be comfortable with the interface and have it look and perform in a manner that suits me. Windows 10 default tile interface is more "cutesy / shiny" than I need, so Classic Start Menu does suits my purpose perfectly :wink: 

Edited by Allan, 05 June 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,884 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

. . . have it look and perform in a manner that suits me. Windows 10 default tile interface is more "cutesy / shiny" than I need, so Classic Start Menu does suits my purpose perfectly :wink:

I hasten to add that "your sort" is not the class of user that generally concerns me.  People who can function "across styles" but who then elect a specific one that suits them are far more informed and experienced than the average computer user.

For anyone who's perfectly capable of using WinXP, Win7, Win8/8.1, and Win10 interfaces (and at this point I'd be willing to limit that to Win7 and Win10) but chooses to use an overlay program of some sort to make it more comfortable for them has my blessing [not that they need it, either].

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

I have classic shell on Windows 8.1 or it would be unusable in my opinion.

#10 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

+1   just repaired ( then gifted ) a Win 8.1 laptop & the user, who is suffering from a number of health issues, asked if there was anything that could help her 'learn' Win 8.1 and that's when I installed Classic Shell, which I love.

I don't mind the new look of both 8.1 & 10 but there are times when Classic Shell just fills a need.

I purchased the Stardock app years ago (before I learned about Classic Shell) and liked it well enough.

On the other hand, at home, I'm still loving my Mint

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

I'm still loving my Mint.

I get where you are coming from.  :)

Edit: Before 8.1 in order to shutdown 8 on a desktop you had to open the charms bar, click the setting gear, then the power button then shutdown. No wonder Classic Shell was developed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 June 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,484 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

I tend to agree guys, I'm using Windows 8 on my main work laptop and feel most of the time Lost when trying to find things I have not used in a while.  But, I'm still young in the Tech world, only started using Windows 8 in late late 2016!  I've learned Windows XP, Linux (which spans many OS's), W7, W8, W8.1 and now W10 all in a somewhat short time.  Then Windows 10 Creators Update they change a few little things on us again LOL.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 jmoore0602

jmoore0602

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

I'm perfectly happy with learning new things. Got my first Win 3.1 computer when I was in 6th grade, and I've used every Windows operating system since then (except Vista) and can deal with them all. Like most others (so it seems), I liked 3.1, 95B, 98SE, XP, 7, and 10. I don't mind the Win10 interface, they're making changes that I don't fully understand though. A lot of customization has been removed. And the worst part (in my opinion) is the spreading out of Control Panel features from a central source and overlapping features of it. For example, there are 3 different network connections, one that looks like classic control panel, one that looks like a Win10 app, and one the looks like a hybrid of the two. I'd prefer to keep the controls in the control panel, and I while I don't mind change, changing without increasing functionality is just a waste of effort.

Edited by jmoore0602, 17 June 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,484 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

@jmoore0602, Thanks for the comment!  First off, I work with lot's of seniors, most of which has used older operating systems.  Now that they are getting older it harder for them to learn new things as fast as they used to, so this program is a big help to them.  This led me here to see how many on the forum used the tool also.  I don't use it yet, but would have had I bought a Windows 8 computer when they first came out.  I was lost on Windows 8 at first, and in a big way.  Did not have it at home, only at work, and didn't have anyone to teach it to me.  I was always loosing the programs I had open and could not get them back etc. LOL, it was horrible.  Now, much later, I'm trying to use it as intended - and it's not all that bad - but as you all know a big departure from Windows 7 in a very unnecessary way IMO.  So just trying to get some idea of who and why folks are using it, that may benefit me and others reading this Thread.  I thought Windows 10 Menu was not all that good either at first, but that is because I don't really want to learn new things that I feel I don't need to.  I don't understand sometimes why MS would do such a thing, and make it harder on CUSTOMERS to get into a new environment and be productive!  Sure it's fun to learn new things, but to be forced to for no good reason is questionable to me.  Maybe there are reasons to do what they've done, and I'm sure there are, but I think most of it is to just put out something new and shiny sometimes.  I favor more functional, not more different.  All the Tiles and such are not my cup of tea either, in fact find them distracting.  Perhaps it's my ADD or whatever, but the tiles really annoy me.  In fact, when Google Chrome unleashed their Tiled Bookmark Manager I almost lost my mind lol.  Same thing with their new Settings Page, yes, they have a new Settings Page and I hate it.  No Indexing, just a long list of stuff that we've all seen before with some small changes in order and names.  Don't know when you will see it, but just did a new install and it came with the new Chrome.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users