Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes during gaming. Tried nearly everything.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tiovon

Tiovon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

So a month or so ago my PC started crashing during gaming. First things first, the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3
CPU: i7 3770k
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX 
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 MHz
PSU: EVGA 700B, 700W 80+ Bronze

So this issue so far has only happened during gaming. Stress tests including Furmark, prime95 and combinations of pretty much every stress test known to man won't crash the computer.

When it crashes, all screens go black and the last bit of sounds loops. It's completely unresponsive and requires a hard reset.

Some times, but not all, the GPU fans ramp up to 100% when the PC crashes. If this happens, then I get a log on the event viewer accusing a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION pointing to nvlddmkm.sys. So, driver issue, right? Well, I DDU'd the thing almost 10 times so far. I did a clean install of Windows 10 to a version before the Creators Update, which I figured might be the issue since it was the only thing I changed before the crashes started. The crashes happen regardless of a completely fresh install of absolutely everything. I tried old drivers, new drivers, recommended drivers, every driver under the sun, every time DDU'ing religiously, and nothing.

When the fans don't ramp up, then I get nothing. No dumps, no logs, nothing. It's as if a crash never happened at all.

At first I figured it might be a PSU issue. My previous PSU was running almost 5 years old, so I replaced it with a brand new 700W PSU from EVGA. Nothing, same issue.

I switched the GPU to other PCIe slots. Nothing, same issue.

I switched the RAM sticks around, tried without either. Disabled XMP, Enabled XMP. Nothing, same issue.

I underclocked, overclocked and undervolted the GPU and CPU. Nothing, same issue.

I thoroughly cleaned every component. GPU stays under 80C, CPU stays under 70C, even in heavy stress tests. Nothing.

So finally I took a GPU from another PC I had laying around and stuck it in my PC. This time, it appeared to be working normally. I managed to run games for 6 hours straight without any sign of crashes, whereas before I wouldn't manage a single hour.

So, all of this seems to point straight to a GPU failure, right? Well, here is the most infuriating part. I took my 780 Ti and stuck it in the PC I took the other GPU from. Guess what? It ran flawlessly. Never crashed once during hours of gaming. Then I changed them back, DDU'd again, and the PC crashed in under 20 minutes of gaming.

So that's my situation. I don't know what's wrong. Nothing changed in my PC from before the crashes started to when they did, so I reckon it shouldn't be any compatibility problems. The GPU works except when it doesn't.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Does this happen with a specific game or any game? I ask because about the only thing that I did not see you said you tried was to uninstall the game and reinstall it. You likely in effect did this when you did a clean install of Windows (kind of has to be done when you do a clean install of Windows), but thought I would ask any way.

#3 Tiovon

Tiovon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:56 PM

Does this happen with a specific game or any game? I ask because about the only thing that I did not see you said you tried was to uninstall the game and reinstall it. You likely in effect did this when you did a clean install of Windows (kind of has to be done when you do a clean install of Windows), but thought I would ask any way.

Thanks for the reply. It happens in every game I've tested so far. I did reinstall a few of them, not all since some are in a different drive. Problem still happens though.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:29 PM

I would look to the differences in hardware between the two computers. Maybe a new driver got installed on the one computer that is causing the crashes. Again, not really likely since you said you tried old drivers and other potential fixes related to drivers. Just kind of grasping at straws here.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Just to make sure... have you used the drivers directly listed on EVGA's website? Those are usually specifically tuned for your model. Before calling your graphics card bad, try updating your BIOS to help rule out some compatibility issues.

Best regards,

bwv848

P.S. Have you tried installing nothing but the drivers (no 3D Drivers and unnecessary stuff)?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 Tiovon

Tiovon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

I would look to the differences in hardware between the two computers. Maybe a new driver got installed on the one computer that is causing the crashes. Again, not really likely since you said you tried old drivers and other potential fixes related to drivers. Just kind of grasping at straws here.

I might try switching parts around one by one. They are both LGA 1155, so should work.

Just to make sure... have you used the drivers directly listed on EVGA's website? Those are usually specifically tuned for your model. Before calling your graphics card bad, try updating your BIOS to help rule out some compatibility issues.

Best regards,

bwv848

P.S. Have you tried installing nothing but the drivers (no 3D Drivers and unnecessary stuff)?

Yep, using the latest drivers which are listed on EVGA's website. I did try only installing the essential, no dice.

I just flashed the BIOS with a modded version that is more recent than the latest release from Gigabyte. I'll update if it changes anything.

Some new developments:

Apparently the PC is still on after the "crash". After the screen went black, I left it on seeing if it would restart after some time. It didn't. When I booted it back up I saw a few logs on the Event Viewer that were registered after the screen went black.

The first one was a log of me pressing the sleep button on my keyboard, which I did about 2 minutes after the screen went black.

The second was this:

Event ID 4101 - Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I searched for it online and there are a ton of issues with similar messages, although none of the possible solutions worked so far.

What I'm trying now:

Setting TdrLimit to 10 on the registry.

Using the modded BIOS.

#7 Tiovon

Tiovon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:27 PM

Well, had yet another crash. This time, nothing at all in the Event Viewer. PC completely unresposive. Couldn't ping it or remote into it.

It would be better if it was at least consistent...

#8 Tiovon

Tiovon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:38 AM

UPDATE

After removing the TdrLimit option and adding TdrLevel on 1, I managed to finally, at long last, produce a blue screen for my troubles. The official cause of death: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE.

So apparently, lump me in with the hundreds of people having this same issue. The only difference is that my problems just started around the time of the Creators Update, much later than the others.

I'll try setting TdrLevel to 0 and see if that changes anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users