Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time for a new CPU...after I bought an AMD turd...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 7sixes

7sixes

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

Hello everyone,

About 2 years ago I came on here and asked for some PC upgrading help and you guys were great. You guys gave me some good tips and I followed all of them, except for the CPU. I chose the 8 core FX-9370 because I thought "Oh, I can run more programs, bla bla bla...my H100i will keep it cool, who cares about the warnings about it being hot." You all said to get the Intel processors and boy were you guys right. Whenever I have a game open (CS: GO, Path of Exile, doesn't matter what it is), it runs between 58c and 65c, often with it shutting down to prevent from melting the CPU. I have the H100i set on PERFORMANCE mode so it is working its hardest to keep it cool...its loud as hell but I don't mind....it still goes to 65c. I have also adjusted different voltage clocks, does nothing but lowers my FPS and STILL overheats. My games are all set on LOW quality too when they can easily run on high.

I have reset the liquid cooler on the CPU several times, added extra fans, etc. and it still goes to 60c+.

Can you guys give me some help choosing a new CPU?

These are my current specs:

Processor: AMD FX™-9370 Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 16384MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z AM3+

Thanks a ton for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

Maybe my set up is just dumb in my case? I'll post some pics soon

Currently sitting at 41C with just firefox...

Edited by 7sixes, 03 June 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#3 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Arrows are the air flow... case cover has a large fan that blows in (but honestly does not do much)

Top of the case has vents for airflow...could it not be clear enough?

jL0v0Jf.jpg

Edited by 7sixes, 03 June 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

61C under heavy load?

And.......?

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

I thought the AMD FX has a 60C limit? When it gets higher to 65C it just shuts down and won't start up for about 15 min

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

I thought the AMD FX has a 60C limit? When it gets higher to 65C it just shuts down and won't start up for about 15 min

I have a FX8320, using stock cooler...and I've seen temps run into the mid-70s...and it has never shut down.  The fan just works harder.

Have you ever cleaned the fan, replaced the thermal grease...done anything to try to alleviate stated temps? 

I'll take temps in the 60s any day with no worries.

Louis

#7 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

I have a FX8320, using stock cooler...and I've seen temps run into the mid-70s...and it has never shut down.  The fan just works harder.

Have you ever cleaned the fan, replaced the thermal grease...done anything to try to alleviate stated temps? 

I'll take temps in the 60s any day with no worries.

Louis

Thermal grease? Is that the same as thermal paste? If so yes, several times.

I'll try to change some auto off settings from temps and see how it does in mid 60s...what is the worst possible thing that happens? CPU melts and I have to replace it?

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

Back case fan should be pointing out not in, better airflow even with a liquid cooler.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:26 AM

I'd be checking all of the assorted monitoring/fan control/thermal settings in the BIOS....

Perhaps there is some setting causing the hard shutdown at 60C....

And when it comes to thermal paste....the thinner coating is usually better....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#10 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

That Asus 990fx CHV is the best AMD motherboard you can use for an FX 9370-8350 processor. Your temps are actually ok for the processor you are using. When you install an H100-100i-100i-115-H80 you're going to want to be sure and disable any BIOS fan control for the CPU, and then use the eVGA software.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/corsair-link-dashboard#page=system-panel

Secondly, I would definitely reorient the back fan placing it inside the case and exhausting and also reorient the H100 itself with the water tubes facing the other side. I do notice that your optical drive may block it and you could lower the optical drive down to he bay below it if that's the case. It seems to me that either your board or maybe some installed Asus software is idling down the performance of your PC and also shutting it down so like mentioned above I would check on that. In fact I would uninstall any and all Asus software as well you really do not need it the BIOS will give you everything you need. You may have temperature warning +60-65c enabled as shutdown within the BIOS as well check on that. I would also download and run HWMonitor and see what that reports with your running temps. If nothing seems to works proper still then I would check to see if there is a new BIOS release etc, and reseat the processor once again and test again. Still no joy then if it were me I would get an FX 8350 for about $129.00 and OC it to 4.7 @ CPU Vcore of 1.375v-1.4v and be done with it. 

Edited by Zone_86, 06 June 2017 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users