Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Image created using UEFI, this computer using BIOS

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sjf99

sjf99

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

I'll try to be succinct

1)   Gigabyte Motherboard Z170X-Gaming 7 was swapped out with the exact same make and model (due to damaged pins).

2)   Booting from a system repair disk created during the old motherboard boots just fine.  Unable to boot from a system repair disk created with the new motherboard.

3)   Attempts to restore system image (created with the old motherboard) will not work, get error message "Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware.  The system image was created on a computer using EFI and this computer is using BIOS".

4)   I confirmed under "Disk Management" for the primary drive, that there is a 450 mb partition, a 99mb EFI partition, and the rest a NTFS partition.  Which my research shows indicative of a computer using EFI.

5)   Under system information bios mode says UEFI.

6)   So, I think everything shows that my computer and OS is EFI/UEFI yet when I try to restore to an older image it seems to think a firmware difference and that the it's really operating under the old bios mode.

7)   I am perplexed, I have checked the settings in the BIOS and from what I can tell it is setup to indicate EFI/UEFI.

Any help would be great.  Thanks.

Scott

My System Specs

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/K84LZjoRgC1r2fJ2J7PBpYF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

Are you restoring this system image to a blank new disk drive?

#3 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

No

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

Do you need data on this drive or can you backup the data on the drive to another device before doing the system image restore?

#5 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

To be honest, I no longer need to do a system restore.  But in the event I do I am trying to understand the potential disconnect I have between EFI/UEFI vs. BIOS boot mode

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

If this computer can boot open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is there an asterisk under the GPT column? I would have to believe there is if you have an EFI partition. I can't explain why the system restore fails if both MBs was UEFI unless the firmware is different enough between MBs where it thinks the new computer is MBR.

With what software was the system image created? If the computer is currently running okay, I would create a new disk image with either Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper Free unless you are using some purchased imaging software.

#7 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Yes there is an asterisk.  So I am not sure I am following you exactly John, the difference in the Motherboard versions between the two maybe significant enough to cause this error?

The system image was orginally created by Windows 10.

I have recently installed Acronis TrueImage.

Thanks.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

That is the only explanation I can think of. The firmware between the motherboards was different enough where the Microsoft Imaging software thinks the new MB is MBR. I would be hesitant to restore a system image from a different motherboard even if the models were the same. Motherboards have different versions. Your MB has a rev 1 and a newer 1.1. I don't know if that would make a difference or not. 

#9 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the information, appreciate it.  A follow-on to that question.  I can boot from a system restore disk (created with windows) that was created under the old motherboard, but not the new motherboard?  Is that a similar reason?  

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

This is the system repair drive under Windows 10 using a USB flash drive?

Are you saying a repair disk or drive created on the old motherboard could boot but a repair disk created on the new motherboard cannot boot or are you saying the repair disk from the old motherboard cannot boot on the new motherboard.

The only reason I can think of it not booting is if there was some setting in UEFI that was preventing it or the hardware between motherboards was just slight enough to prevent a boot. I believe tapping F12 at boot would give you an option on what boot device to select. 

#11 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:16 PM

It's strange and little hard to follow, let me try below:

1)   A system repair disk created with windows 10 on old motherboard will boot on new motherboard without issue.

2)   A system repair disk created with windows 10 on new motherboard will not boot on new motherboard.

Odd?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:32 PM

Okay, I have absolutely no idea why that is, sorry. You can use the Windows 10 install DVD/USB as a substitute for the system repair drive.

#13 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

thank you

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

Your Welcome, sorry I could not answer your questions completely but I have never run into a problem like this. I think you will find Acronis a much better solution than what you get with Windows. The only advice I can give is to create an Acronis bootable disk or USB and make sure it detects all your drives including any external drive you will be backing up to or restoring from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users