Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop stuck in continuous automatic repair loop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Splatman

Splatman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:15 PM

So got the prompt to update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8, ok go to do that update fails. Next thing  I know I am stcuk in the automatic Repair loop and have been stuck in it ever since. I was advised to download WIndows 8.1 on to a USB stick ( which I did) and try to get the computer to boot from the USB Stick so it could repair Windows and then I could get back into my laptop and get everything straightened out from there. ( This laptop is an HP Pavilion G7 that game with Windows 8 )

So I am at a loss of how to fix this with out loosing all the stuff on that laptop I have been reading and reading and reading all sorts of different methods, but the automatic repair loop just is driving me batty as it wont let me past it.

I tried to do the restore to an earlier point but it indicated there are no earlier restore points but that didnt work. I have tried to boot into safe mode, safe mode with networking etc from the numbered F opition from F1 to F10 and that didnt work, so now I am here because I am all out of ideas.

Any ideas or suggestion of what to try next that WONT make me loose all the information on that laptop would be greatly appreciated .

It seems that HP's secure boot isnt allowing my Lap top to do the boot from the USB Stick and I am stuck in Automatic repair loop hell ( or at least it seems like it )  I have to be able to get this laptop back working again. This laptop contains a lot of information and correspondence and files etc dealing with my brothers estate since he passed just a short time ago ( this was his laptop which is why it has all the aforementioned stuff on it and I can not loose this by doing a system recovery that wipes everything.

I had posted on the HP forum and got zero response and most of the responses I have seen that were similar 9 or seemed that way to me were to do a complete wipe and start over )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

After creating the flash drive installation media did you change the BIOS boot order to make the USB device the first device in the boot order and the hdd/ssd the second device.  If you haven't, you need to do that.  After you have done that, inserted the flash drive in a USB port and turned the computer off and then back on you should see a screen which will tell you to press any key to continue.  Once you see this you will know that you are on the correct path.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 001dek

001dek

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

• how do you get into the BIOS?
  •  

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

We will need the make and model of this computer in order to find which version of BIOS you have.

If this is a custom build please post the make and model of the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 EthanStark

EthanStark

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hello,

I beleive the operating system reinstallation will be the only way to resolve this, as even i was facing the same issue and I tried everything but after all OSRI was the only servival. If you get any other alternatives from any where then please do not forget share them here as well, that will be the great help.

#6 Splatman

Splatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:39 AM

@001dek  You can get to BIOS by tapping the F10 key on the HP Pavilion G7 laptop

----

Hi There Bleeping Old Fart  (had a chuckle at the nic btw )

So the Laptop is an HP Pavilion G7-2273ca and it came preinstalled with Windows 8 on it

The setup Utility on the laptop is the InsydeH20 Setup Utility

The BIOS version looks to be F.16

As to your question of whether I change the boot order so it would boot from the USB, I did do that. Looking at it in BIOS right now this is the order:

UEFI Boot Order

-------------------------

USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk

OS Boot Manager

! Network Adapter

Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive

----

Legacy Boot Order

-----------------------

USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk

Notebook Hard Drive

Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive

!Network Drive

So this is the setting I have BIOS currently sitting in, but even when restarting with my usb in place, the laptop still tries to go into the preparing automatic repair and then diagnosing your pc and  of course gives me the automatic repair couldnt repair your PC message and then of course you get the shut down or advanced options clickable selection and your right back to where you started from with this continuing loop.

And no this Laptop isnt a custom build, my brother bought this from Costco. Appreciate the help and advice, this is enough to drive a guy crazy

#7 Splatman

Splatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:43 AM

Hello,

I beleive the operating system reinstallation will be the only way to resolve this, as even i was facing the same issue and I tried everything but after all OSRI was the only servival. If you get any other alternatives from any where then please do not forget share them here as well, that will be the great help.

I have seen a lot of  that solution being given out, but I am hoping that I wont have to do that because that would be a devastating loss of all my brothers financials, personal information and so on that is on the laptop that is stuck in automatic repair loop and we have no back up to retrieve top get any of it from it is all on this laptop and my Mom and I would be really pooched when it comes to trying to get everything settled with my brothers estate.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

We have not reached the point where we need to consider reinstalling the operating system.  There are other options which haven't even been mentioned yet.  One of these options is a Refresh.  This will basically reinstall Windows without effecting your personal files.

If you wish to do this, here are the instructions.

You need to be aware that a refresh will remove all third party programs, but will not effect your personal files.

1. Open the Settings charm, tap/click on Change PC Settings.

2. Tap/click on Update and recovery, then tap/click on Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap/click on Get started.

Follow the instructions as they appear.

Edited by dc3, 07 June 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#9 Splatman

Splatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

We have not reached the point where we need to consider reinstalling the operating system.  There are other options which haven't even been mentioned yet.  One of these options is a Refresh.  This will basically reinstall Windows without effecting your personal files.

If you wish to do this, here are the instructions.

You need to be aware that a refresh will remove all third party programs, but will not effect your personal files.

1. Open the Settings charm, tap/click on Change PC Settings.

2. Tap/click on Update and recovery, then tap/click on Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap/click on Get started.

Follow the instructions as they appear.

After doing as you explained, Once I clicked on Refresh your PC without affecting your files , It then came up with the message  stating

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

So no clue as to how it would be locked nor how I would unlock it.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:54 AM

Let''s go back to using the Windows 8.1 installation media.

1. Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the I key to open Settings.

2. Go to Advanced startup.

3. Access the UEFI settings and disable Secure boot in UEFI.

If you have changed the boot order back to the default settings you will need to change it so that the UBS device is the first device in the boot order, the hdd the second device.

Insert the installation media and restart the computer.  You should be able to at least get to the Repair option and run it.

#11 Splatman

Splatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

Let''s go back to using the Windows 8.1 installation media.

1. Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the I key to open Settings.

2. Go to Advanced startup.

3. Access the UEFI settings and disable Secure boot in UEFI.

If you have changed the boot order back to the default settings you will need to change it so that the UBS device is the first device in the boot order, the hdd the second device.

Insert the installation media and restart the computer.  You should be able to at least get to the Repair option and run it.

I wasnt able to access access advanced start up thru the method using the windows symbol & the l key, automatic repair just wont let me get by that,

#12 Splatman

Splatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:07 AM

So a little bit of semi good news. I was able to get Windows 8 somewhat installed....but I dont have any access to administrator privileges which means I cant validate my windows key or install any software. Also when I shut the computer down and then start ir or re-start it, it seems like it is trying to install Windows 8 as it takes me to a screen and asks me the options of using the RM or Windows 8 operating system.

I was also experiencing instances where I could download all the windows updates and after downloading them, the installation of the updates would start and then somewhere along the line fail and I would then see a message saying something to the effect that the updates were being rolled back or removed and this happened a few times.

So as of now Windows works but not correctly in my opinion. I have been attempting to get the administrator privileges working on the account but needless to say everything I have tried and read is leading me back to the same spot where I cant change the privileges. My thought now is that I need to reinstall windows to get everything working right, but I think the underlying issues that happened while trying to update from windows 8 to windows 8.1 are still lingering and are causing part of the problems

Edited by Splatman, 16 June 2017 - 12:09 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

takes me to a screen and asks me the options of using the RM or Windows 8 operating system.

It is requesting that you provide the RM (Recovery Madia) or the Windows 8 operating system (Windows 8 installation media).  If you have not gone back into the BIOS and changed the boot order you should be able to insert the requested installation media when this request is made.  Do this and follow any prompts you see.

#14 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

From my travels, when the hard drive is installed on AHCI settings instead of IDE in the SATA controller setting and it does not match up with what is installed on the HD then it does this repair loop because the data is installed with AHCI mode and the SATA controller is in IDE mode. 

Another thing is if your installs fail then you just need to flush the windows update cache and update again.

#15 Splatman

Splatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

So it looks like I may have Windows 8 back installed ( This is of course after this laptop went flying out a second story window, bounced off the dog house and landed in some bushes... this may not have happened like that, could be a fantasy I had ) after trying your suggestion Bleeping Old Fart to get Windows working it seemed like Windows was stuck in a recovery loop.

Seemed like no matter what I did, it wanted to go back into this recovery loop. I changed the setting in BIOS like you instructed but It still wanted to  go thru that same loop. I was wondering if the BIOS was dickered, so I thought maybe I should try a BIOS restore and see if that would help.

So looked up the info on BIOS restore ( believe it or not found a YT video by HP on how to do it ) Did that and then decided I would try again and see if I could get Windows reinstalled,  Well first round didnt go so well I got to where I tried the recovery option and it went thru the paces and then at the very end there was an error saying that the recovery had failed.

After I finished banging my head on the coffee table I decided to try again but choose a different method than thru that same recovery option, and blank the drive and then install Windows. now this seems to have taken so far ( there is like 159 updates to install )  So I have not shut it down or anything like that since Windows got to the point of working so far. 

I ended up using Recuva to try and save some of my brothers information from his laptop have to figure out still how to get it back into a useable form ( doesnt look like a file format I understand at the moment...lol ) I am hoping Windows will be stable, but it looks good so far. Not 100% certain I wanna update to Windows 8.1 after the last mishap

Edited by Splatman, 19 June 2017 - 08:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users