I ran into the problem of audio dropouts with multiple audio interfaces the last few weeks and am hoping to find some hints and help here.
First things first: I built myself a new PC and set up windows 10. My Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 audio interface, which worked nicely before, does not work on the new machine. I get audio dropouts both in my DAW and while
playing back audio through windows (browser, music player) - sometimes some distortion as well. For testing purposes I tried a Steinberg UR44 interface which caused the exact same problems.
So I did a clean windows install again to make sure no drivers were interfering with each other - still the same problems. It must be a hardware related problem then I assume. I changed the gpu, cpu and motherboard
when upgrading my pc. These are my current specs:
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4-3000
- Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4
- Graphics Card: 8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
- Storage: 465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2 (SATA), 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 (SATA)
- Power Unit: bequiet! Straight Power 10 600 Watt
Let me explain the dropouts a little bit more. They mostly happen when I drag the window, open another program or minimize/maximize any programs. I uploaded a small video file here for you to watch the problem occuring:
Some things I've tried are:
- various drivers and versions for both audio interfaces (with different buffer sizes)
- using different usb ports
- using different usb cables of different length
- reinstalling windows ofc.
- checking for latency issues via LantecyMon
I'm hoping for some hints on what to try or which components to remove first. I will gladly provide more information if needed. Thanks in advance for your kind help
Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2017 - 11:13 AM.
Moved from AV Audio/Video Software to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.