Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Dropouts on multiple Interfaces (hardware problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lexusminds

Lexusminds

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

Hello everybody  :) I ran into the problem of audio dropouts with multiple audio interfaces the last few weeks and am hoping to find some hints and help here.

First things first: I built myself a new PC and set up windows 10. My Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 audio interface, which worked nicely before, does not work on the new machine. I get audio dropouts both in my DAW and while
playing back audio through windows (browser, music player) - sometimes some distortion as well. For testing purposes I tried a Steinberg UR44 interface which caused the exact same problems. 

So I did a clean windows install again to make sure no drivers were interfering with each other - still the same problems. It must be a hardware related problem then I assume. I changed the gpu, cpu and motherboard 
when upgrading my pc. These are my current specs:

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4-3000
  • Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4
  • Graphics Card: 8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
  • Storage: 465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2 (SATA), 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 (SATA)
  • CPU Fan: Scythe Mugen 4
  • Power Unit: bequiet! Straight Power 10 600 Watt
  • Case: Cooltek Skiron

Let me explain the dropouts a little bit more. They mostly happen when I drag the window, open another program or minimize/maximize any programs. I uploaded a small video file here for you to watch the problem occuring:

Some things I've tried are:
- various drivers and versions for both audio interfaces (with different buffer sizes)
- using different usb ports
- using different usb cables of different length
- reinstalling windows ofc.
- checking for latency issues via LantecyMon

I'm hoping for some hints on what to try or which components to remove first. I will gladly provide more information if needed. Thanks in advance for your kind help  :)

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2017 - 11:13 AM.
Moved from AV Audio/Video Software to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:40 AM

good morning lexusminds,

the symptoms you describe i think is so common with any audio interface under windows 10 

i guess that your problem have to do with the focusrite drives or with your daw latency settings

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849319-Windows-10-Compatibility

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

if your audio interface works well under windows 7 then stay with that os either 32 or 64 bits

wait till focusrite  release any new windows 10 x 64 bits drives or jut call them for further assistance

Edited by nickos, 04 June 2017 - 03:41 AM.

#3 Lexusminds

Lexusminds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

ADDITIONAL HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

After uninstalling the Radeon drivers for my AMD Radeon R9 390 and disabling the graphics card the distortion is completely gone! Now what do I do?

Edited by Lexusminds, 31 July 2017 - 05:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users