Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Anti virus -> Avast or Windows defender <- Windows 10.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

hey there,

i recently used for 2 years right now no anti virus

but i'll want to use a anti virus

but i'll don't know wich one.

Windows 10 (windows defender)

or

Avast 2017 (for windows 10)

Please help me decide, and tell me the useful features of each anti virus that i'll named here 

and i find avg so bleep. please help me :(

-greetz brent  :bounce:  :bananas:

Edited by hamluis, 03 June 2017 - 10:00 AM.
Moved from Introductions to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

i find avg so bleep

why?....its one of the best IMO

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

Doghrn,

This is one of those situations where you will likely get as many opinions as there are respondents.

I, too, had come to dislike AVG because it had become exquisitely oversensitive (or at least it was when I finally stopped using it.  False positives galore).  This may have changed.  AVG was my antivirus of choice for well over 10 years.

I currently use Windows Defender and am on Version 1703 of Windows 10, which introduced some significant additions to Windows Defender.

Better any antivirus than no antivirus.   If you have gone for two years interacting with cyberspace and not acquired a single nasty I'd say that you'll be OK with any product of your choosing.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

So, 

Yes iknow anti virus is important in these days.

But wich one should i use Avast or Windows defender (i'll find Windows defender a little bleepty) does not have Heuristic scan and that things

what avast do.

-greetz brent

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

I will repeat myself:  If you have gone for two years interacting with cyberspace and not acquired a single nasty I'd say that you'll be OK with any product of your choosing.

You seem to be well aware of the various parameters and only you can decide the importance of same to you, based on your own personal history and needs.  No one else can do that for you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

do some reading and pick one....it really isnt that difficult....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+anti+virus+2017

Edited by mikey11, 03 June 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#7 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

yes it is, because i will trust a company, i don't use bleep anti viruses programs that are bleep?

so please help me :(

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

You might start with these resources...

AV-Comparatives -

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

AV-TEST -

https://www.av-test.org/en/compare-manufacturer-results/?avtest[type]=3

Virus Bulletin VB100 -

https://www.virusbulletin.com/testing/dates/vb100-antimalware

#9 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

Avast do it really good at the tests so i think i use Avast or test it for a week or somethingg :) thankyou 

Jwoods301. 

in a week i will write here what i'll found of Avast :)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

Windows 8/10 Defender is Microsoft's free built-in (integrated) anti-virus and anti-malware solution which replaced MSE for newer operating systems. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits. If you have Windows 10 Anniversary update, it includes Limited Periodic Scanning and allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection.

Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Creators Update includes always-on protection which consists of real-time protection, behavior monitoring and heuristics to identify and block malware based on known suspicious and malicious activity. Windows Defender Antivirus Creators Update is also compatible with any third-party anti-virus.

Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups. The key word being "free".

avast! Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.

Further, avast! pushes a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:11 AM

Hi there, i have the latest windows 10 anniversary Update.. :)

and also my friends doe's have Windows defender and they are really happy about it,

it doe's it works good and have good SSL tests in the anti virus-test results on Popular sites from AV.

and they said to me that Windows defender doe's not have PUP-protection on Windows 10 home versions, but you can enable it on Pro, and later versions? lol

but i think Windows defender doe's it work really good, and have per day 2 updates for the definitions.. i'll find that it has been need 2-10 updates per-day for sure do you understand it.

and yeah i'll tested Avast, with High settings on all.

and my whole system looks weird, no icons, no tabs everything was different..

so i uninstalled Avast with revo uninstaller, and then i'll rebooted my system and no different, everything was still weird, and i was not to enable to activate windows defender again.. lol

so i did a system restore, from 2 days ago and everything workings as well good :) also did a fully searh on my computer and found Avast folders, i deleted this folders, and did all updates on Windows 10, and checked everything and everything workeds good as well know again :) 

but can you enable PUP-protection, and behaviour monitoring, heuristics and plus enhanced protection from rootkis and bootkits? so yes can you tell me how.

or is everything i just said already enabled, but i can't see that settings? :)

-greetz brent. 

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits, exploit kits and ransomware.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

If you choose to use Windows 8/10 Defender (or any other anti-virus), then I recommend adding an additional anti-malware solution. Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs which can find and remove adware, spyware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users