Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate bookmark Removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:04 AM

My apologies if I have got the wrong section for this question.

My Firefox has got around 10,000 bookmarks, probably 9,000 of these are duplicates created by importing from other browsers. I used to use AM-Deadlink to mass delete all the duplicates, but they no longer delete, just list the items - which is about as useful as a bucket with a big  hole in it.

All the Bookmark duplicate delete links I have found on the web only allow single deletes - what a stupid mentality - deleting 10,000 singularly will take more time than I have life left.

Question ? Can anybody please tell me of a program that will list all duplicate bookmarks and allow a mass delete with a single mouse click.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

@Beaker77

This looks pretty cool

About this Add-on
To remove duplicate bookmarks, navigate to the Add-ons Manager, open the Bookmark Deduplicator preferences page, and press Search.
A popup showing all duplicate bookmarks will be opened. After a confirmation your duplicate bookmarks will be removed and the amount of removed duplicates will be presented.

Note: Bookmark Deduplicator will sequently read the addresses of every bookmark and mark each one that points to the same address as a previously checked one for deletion. Consequently, the bookmarks that have been checked first - usually higher up in the folder hierarchy - will not be affected.
With a huge amount of bookmarks, the browser may appear frozen while the extension is at work, this is no sign of an error - simply wait for or continue the finalization of the cleanup process.

Please make sure to create a backup of your bookmarks before using a removal tool! Also, carefully read the above description of the current extensions features. An extended version with customization options will be provided at some time in the future.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bookmark-deduplicator/

Hoping this helps, I am not a Firefox user but I know plenty of them.

Old Rocker

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

I installed the Firefox bookmark cleaner add-on. It brings up nearly 10,000 bookmarks of which 8,000 plus must be duplicates.

When you manually click any one of them, a list appears in the R/H panel of duplicates, BUT it is not listing just duplicates, it is listing all the bookmarks. If you then click delete, they all go, without leaving the master bookmark untouched. That is useless.

You can manually click the duplicates listed and leave one, then the  duplicates go and just the single bookmark is left. But who on Earth can do that for almost 10,000 items ? Nobody ! So the add-on is useless.

If the program listed only duplicates, it would be fine to just click the delete.

Back to square one.

AM-Deadlink used to list all the duplicates under a master record, then on delete the whole 9,000 would go leaving the master record. It was great, but for some reason AMD no longer deletes. It is fairly useless just looking at this massive list and do nothing.

Edited by Beaker77, 03 June 2017 - 04:41 PM.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

Beaker77,

I am not quite sure of what you're saying because you describe a right hand panel.  Also, if you read the description of how the de-duplicator works, all of those things showing up in the only panel that it has when you do the search are duplicates.  From the add-on page:

To remove duplicate bookmarks, navigate to the Add-ons Manager, open the Bookmark Deduplicator preferences page, and press Search.

A popup showing all duplicate bookmarks will be opened. After a confirmation your duplicate bookmarks will be removed and the amount of removed duplicates will be presented.

This part of the description is inaccurate.  What the popup is showing is actually a list of all your bookmarks.  I do not know why they say it shows only duplicates, because it does not.

After you confirm, it will tell you how many were actually duplicates that were removed.   I just did my own bookmarks after having made a backup by exporting them to HTML in case something went wrong.  It told me that 67 duplicates were removed, which seems about right, and my bookmarks still appear to be just fine.

Note: Bookmark Deduplicator will sequently [sic, should be sequentially] read the addresses of every bookmark and mark each one that points to the same address as a previously checked one for deletion. Consequently, the bookmarks that have been checked first - usually higher up in the folder hierarchy - will not be affected.

This is the actual behavior I've seen.  It starts with bookmark one, scans bookmarks two through end and deletes any that are the same as bookmark one.  Then it moves on to bookmark two, scans bookmarks three through end deleting any that match bookmark two.  Etc., Etc., Etc.   Thus, the first occurrence of any duplicated bookmark is what will be preserved while all duplicates that are further down in your hierarchy somewhere will be deleted.

They just incorrectly described what shows up in that box when you hit the "Search" button as being *only* duplicates.  It isn't, it's all your bookmarks that will then be processed to remove duplicates when you hit the "Remove" button.

When I try the "Search" after having done a "Search" and "Remove" cycle no duplicates are found and no pop up window with the bookmarks appears.

After you've made an HTML backup for safety of all your bookmarks try this and you'll see that it works.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users