Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC in start-stop loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EvertVd

EvertVd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:58 AM

2 weeks ago I bought a new PC (in parts; built it myself).

It worked fine until this morning. Yesterday I did nothing strange; just checked email and played some minecraft; turned PC off like normal.

This morning I pressed the power button, fans started spinning, LEDs turned on, and then it turned all off again. 1 second later it repeated this and kept repeating this until I turned off the PSU.

First thing I did was reset CMOS; and that worked. Computer is currently running fine again. But I would like to know why this happened. I did not change any hardware, software etc. nor did I change any BIOS settings. What could have caused this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EvertVd

EvertVd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

Happened again today. Had no problems since last time. If it was a hardware problem it should happen more often, right?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

No...unfortunately, hardware failures cannot necessarily be expected to be "all or nothing".  I know that hard drives and PSUs have not exhibited such to me (small sample size) and such might be true for other components.

When a system shuts down or loses power...my first suspect would be the PSU...because it's logical and easy enough to check if you have the skill/knowledge or simply have a known-good PSU around which can temporarily replace the installed PSU.

Another suspect would be system overheating, which is easy enough to check.

Although you state that resetting the CMOS changed your situation...I would suspect that it was more likely to have been turning the PSU on/off that contributed to the change...unless you were using an old CR2032 CMOS battery from an older system.

But others here are much more knowledgeable than I and have more/better experience levels, so I would await some inputs from other members here.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#4 EvertVd

EvertVd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Louis,

The problem is not that the system suddenly shuts down. It works perfectly fine, I keep an eye on the temperatures and such.  I use the computer every day for about 7 hours mostly for internet, writing, and some low-level gaming. No heavy lifting. I turn on the computer in the morning and shut it down completely in the evening (Windows 10 btw). No errors, no strange nothing. But twice now, in the morning when I want to turn it on, it just "loops" before going to POST and I need to reset CMOS. Also no errors in windows logs from the night before (during shutdown).

If it was a loose connection or a failure of RAM or PSU I would think the problem would be more frequent and sudden. I did flash the bios to the latest version after last time, and I thought that had helped, but alas no.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

Well...my personal experinces are confined to the systems I have bought or assembled...I've only reset the CMOS when the CMOS battery needed replacing or I have been fiddling around with a number of different drives.  If I had a system where resetting the CMOS resolved anything...I would believe that pointed to the CMOS battery.

Of course...it could also point to the motherboard itself but I have never HAD to replace a MB:  I've done so each time as my optional, whimsical choice.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2017 - 05:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users