Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Software Shuts Down Laptop - Help!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rachael

Rachael

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

Hey
Thanks to alot of reading thru the helpful advice on these pages, and 48 hours of blood sweat and tears, I finally have a full range of free security software protecting my laptop. there's just one more problem that I can't solve with my limited knowledge of computers - one or more of the programmes has taken it upon themselves to turn off my laptop when I leave it, after about 10 or 20 minutes...

I know its not a good idea, but what I love about my laptop is that I can shut the top down but not have to shut down completely, when I go for a half hour break of something. Since I downloaded the security software I can't close the top as it shuts down immediately, and if I leave it for more than about 10 minutes it does the same. It looks kinda weird - normally there is a blue light on when the laptop is on, which flashes when it's hibernating (i just press the power button to resume power) and goes off of course when i shut down. With these programmes the screen goes black but the blue light is still on - pressing any button doesn't power back up, and i have to restart...

so, its a packard bell easynote with Windows XP. the programmes I went with for security are all free: Kerio Personal Firewall (XP is disabled); Avast anti virus; Spybot S&D; Spyware Blaster and Adware. I can't see a function in any of their settings that describes powering down the laptop, and the Windows settings for screen saving, hibernation and powerdown are still exactly the same as they were before.

Has anyone else had this? any idea how to fix it? I know its a small problem for free security software - i went thru hell for 48 hours with Messenger and Firefox - but this last little problem is driving me mad! Also anyone with solutions will have to speak very slowly and clearly as i don't really have a clue what i'm doing - if i have to go into MSDOS there is every possibility i will get lost forever...

Thank you - sorry for long post!

Rachael

Edited by Rachael, 09 September 2006 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users