Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't to connect to Windows app store or download apps/themes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:03 AM

I can't connect to the Windows app store or install themes.

I just reinstalled Windows 10. I added and verified an outlook.com address for the computer, but I'm using an unrelated user name and password to log on to the the computer.

When I try to add a theme through personalization or add apps through the store, I get a pop-up that says that the page cannot be loaded. Code: 0x80131505, CV: yptIss2cSkiyvyRD.

The computer's time and date are accurate. WSReset did not work. I'm running AVG and PrivateFirewall.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3053099/windows/3-quick-fixes-for-your-windows-store-problems.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

I found the same article and tried the first two steps as mentioned, but the link for additional details on the third step is broken so I was hoping for more information before trying it (deleting everything in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download).

If I delete everything in these folders, will it affect automatic updates in the future, or affect my ability to roll back updates if they turn out to be problematic?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

I don't know why Windows store would be borked on a clean install of Windows 10 but see if registering it with powershell works. 

Step 5 here. You can copy and paste the command in an elevated powershell prompt. Type powershell in search > Right click run as Administrator.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-tips-fix-windows-store-app-issues-windows-10/

#5 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

A caveat about the last suggestion in the PCWorld article:

The last suggestion can't be implemented without turning off windows update long enough to delete the items in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore folder--and to do that, you have to go into administrative tools > services and turn off windows update. On my system, following this third suggestion produced a breaking point error message on reboot, and did not solve the problem. Your mileage may vary.

#6 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

I don't know why Windows store would be borked on a clean install of Windows 10 but see if registering it with powershell works. 

Step 5 here. You can copy and paste the command in an elevated powershell prompt. Type powershell in search > Right click run as Administrator.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-tips-fix-windows-store-app-issues-windows-10/

This step didn't work, so I'm working my way through the other steps. The Windows store troubleshooter says that the store cache is damaged but wasn't able to fix it. All of the other potential issues it checked were ok.

Edited by WheresMyOS, 03 June 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

but I'm using an unrelated user name and password to log on to the the computer.

I am assuming you tried wsreset and it failed. If you create a new admin user account it still fails?

#8 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:00 PM

I am assuming you tried wsreset and it failed. If you create a new admin user account it still fails?

Yes, wsreset failed.

However....creating a new admin user worked! I was able to access windows stores themes and apps through the new account.

Does that tell me anything about how to fix the issue for the original account?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

There is a way to transfer to a new account but it takes a few steps. 

http://www.thewindowsfan.com/fix-corrupt-user-profile-error-windows-10/

Sometimes it's easier to transfer any user data from the corrupted account to the new account you created. Delete the corrupt profile and create it again then transfer the user data back. 

#10 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

I found the user profiles in the registry. There is a state value for each profile as the article says, but no refcount value. Safe to proceed with changing only the state value?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

As long as you have another admin account to login to I would say go ahead. You can also add the Dword Refcount and give it a value of zero if only changing the state value does not work.

What was the state value on your machine?

#12 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

I will try adding Refcount. I already reset the state value and I think it was 68 but don't remember for sure.

What's the easiest way to move all of my files to my new user account? Can I cut and paste cloud-synced folders without messing up the sync index and creating duplicates or accidentally sending files to trash?

Just a thought--could playing with graphics drivers corrupt a user profile or otherwise cause the issue with connecting to the Windows store? (I followed Adobe's recommendation to install AMD's beta Catalyst driver so my graphics card will work with Adobe's Creative Cloud. The Catalyst installer took over the appearance of the desktop but doesn't seem to have successfully installed the driver. Since that didn't seem to be the most pressing thing to troubleshoot, I went to AMD and installed the latest driver til I have time to figure out which Catalyst driver I need.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

I can't say what would happen to cloud synced folders. I was thinking more along the lines of simply transferring user data from the one USER profile folder to the the new. 

I never heard of a bad graphics driver affecting the Store. I would not install a beta driver though unless absolutely necessary. AMD used to have a good driver detection program but for some reason it got bloated.

I used the wayback machine to get the correct utility as it's about 5MB. The new one is almost 70mb

https://web.archive.org/web/20151231184737/http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

#14 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

Update time: adding  Refcount didn't work. However, moving everything to a new user account worked.

Thank you for the help!

:hello:

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Your Welcome.

I would suggest that once everything is up and running and updated you create regular disk images to an USB external drive. Programs that can do this for free are Macrium Reflect Free and Aomei Backupper Standard. Both allow the creation of a bootable DVD/USB flash drive that allows you to restore the image from the external drive should your computer no longer boot due to a malware infection/file system corruption, or a bad hard drive. Both allow you to explore the image to recover any file from the image. 

Doing the above would let you be back up in minutes vs hours doing a clean install, reinstalling your programs, and updating the OS. It is highly recommended to do a disk image before any major Windows 10 upgrade such as the Creators update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users