Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can't get in to Windows or do Image Recovery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BJTred

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:35 PM

UPDATE:  Don't waste your time with this now.  Found out the problem was a corrupt Registry.  Loaded the backups and now things appear to be working again.

I was given a computer to refresh for a new user.  The previous owner passed away and the family gave me the computer.  Easy peasy...not.  No one knew what the password was, which didn't really matter I thought, because I didn't need anything off of the account (pics, docs, etc).  Also, no disks, as is standard these days.   My plan was just to do a recovery of the original system.  Research showed the system came with Windows 8, but it was upgraded to 10 somewhere along the line.  I used an installation cd to access the 'repair my computer' options to do the restore, but when I click on it, it say Windows can't find any images to restore.  Great!

I accessed the command prompt and used diskpart to look at the disk.  There is one named "Recovery", not sure if it's the original Dell recovery partition or not, so I assume an image is there, but I can't figure out how to initialize it.

I could use the install disk I used to access the Repair feature, but my main worry is having  to pay for Windows since I don't have a key or any of the previous registration info used by the previous owner.  

Also, when it boots it does not boot up to the normal log in screen,  It boots to a blue screen, that says "Select Account".  There is one account listed, which as I stated, I don't have a pw for.  The other option presented is, "Forgot your password or don't see your account?".  When clicking that I merely get an option to restart, which just brings me back to the same screens. I will add this started happening after following a suggestion to hold shift and click restart, from the regular log in screen.

I tried suggestions on the web about activating the Administrator account, but even though it says it was successful, it doesn't show up as a usable user.  Any ideas on how to reinstall the image or I am just going to have to scrap it or buy a new copy of Windows?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by BJTred, 03 June 2017 - 02:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,864 posts
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

UPDATE:  Don't waste your time with this now.  Found out the problem was a corrupt Registry.  Loaded the backups and now things appear to be working again.

Thank you for letting us know. :)

If I do not reply in two days, please message me.
BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users