Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - CMD opens, immediately closes periodically

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mashko

mashko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

Hello everyone,

It seems that I have been having a strange issue that seemed to pop up almost out of nowhere.  About a week ago, CMD started to pop up and close immediately.  The window pops up spontaneously, and closes too quickly for me to take a screenshot.

Malwarebytes scan didn't turn up anything, neither did a full scan from ESET Antivirus and SpyBot.

Are there any steps I can take to try and ascertain where this is coming from?  I'm not sure if a HijackThis log would help as this is the wrong forum for that, and this doesn't seem to be malware.  However if I should still redirect this post to the Malware forum I will do so.

It would be great to know where to go from here.  Thank you very much for reading.  :)

Edited by mashko, 02 June 2017 - 09:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlius

arlius

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:35 AM

I've been getting this too, for about a week also.  Malwarebytes found nothing.   I have a Dell laptop.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:08 AM

One of the startup program or scheduled task could be cause of this issue. Use Autoruns  to view and disable what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login. Do not disable any startup program you are not sure its not needed to be started at login time.

Edited by FreeBooter, 03 June 2017 - 03:10 AM.

Posted Image

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

If there are any startup programs that you don't recognize you can download and use Should I Remove It to determine exactly what a program is and if you need to leave it alone.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mashko

mashko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

Thanks everyone, I am looking through my Autoruns and checking with Should I Remove It at the same time to determine what needs to be deleted (if anything).  I did see a Windows Media Player autorun 'file not found'.  Perhaps this is the program that's causing issues?

Will research further.

#6 Saphira2021

Saphira2021

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Interesting. last 2-3 weeks, I started seeing something (a box blue in color) quickly pop up and immediately close as well. This is happening so fast that i can't even tell what it is. not black though. wonder if this is the same issue? I will do the same checking to see.

Win 10 64bit. new computer only about 6? months old.

#7 mashko

mashko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hello everyone, good news as it seems I found out what the issue was to cause CMD to pop up!

The CMD window lagged long enough for me to finally read what it was.  Looks like it is a Microsoft Office Background Task Handler that keeps popping the CMD up.  I opened the task scheduler in admin, went to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Office, then disabled "OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration".  Hopefully now it will stop.  If not I will also disable OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerLogon as I never use office in the first place so it is basically useless to me.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue! :)

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for letting us know how you have resolved the issue!

Posted Image

#9 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:08 PM

How are you opening it?

There is a possibilty that you have the following Registry setting configured:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System!DisableCMD
If you see the value 'DisableCMD' in the above location then simply delete it.

If you are not comfortable with editing the Registry then you will find this setting by going to:
Start > RUN
Type gpedit.msc and press OK

Navigate to: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System
Look for the option 'Prevent access to the command prompt'
Double click it and choose 'Not Configured'

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

+1  I too am glad to hear that you have figured this out.

I would suggest not doing anything further than what you have posted.  You shouldn't need to change the registry which is risky since you can brick the computer if errors are made in the process of making a registry edit.  I would also not disable the Elevated Command Prompt.  There are commands which can run scans which be real time saving tools when repairing computers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

Same thing has been happening on a computer here, tower-shaped computer with Windows 10 fully updated.  No noticable behavior of functionality problems, so the thing seems to be not any kind of problem.  Seems to me Microsoft or Windows should INFORM us of this thing so we know what it is and why.  Not everyone should be required to be a software expert just to normally use their computer at home.

Poist #9 instructions not completely clear.

you will find this setting by going to:

Start > RUN

What other settings, options, or checkboxes should we watch for there?

THE QUOTATION SYSTEM FOR THIS PAGE OR SITE IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY!

Edited by cafejose, 10 June 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#12 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

If you are not comfortable with editing the Registry then you will find this setting by going to:

Start > RUN

-

Not present on this computer.

Looking under C:\Windows\system32\ there are two folders:

GroupPolicy 

and 

GroupPolicyUsers

Both folders are empty; and a 'search' on Windows does not show any gpedit.

also, the quotation tags are still failing here.  Maybe the copy and paste from a different post has something to do with this failure, since quotation tags did work in the TEST Scribbles board.

Edited by cafejose, 10 June 2017 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users