Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FLOPPY DISK RESCUE PROGRAM FOR WINDOWS 98 START UP

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rittenhouse

rittenhouse

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

I have a TOSHIBA SAtelite laptop from the century past, (yes that's right). It allows me to get into the COMMAND PROMPT  (sometimes), but many times it stalls after it requested that I insert the WINDOW  98 (* startup disk number 2. I do not have such a disk. I do have several legitimate copies of win 98 on cd, but need assistance in either extracting the proper sequence of files from those cds onto a floppy disk that would solve the problem, or to find a diagnostic and repair tool that can fit onto a floppy disk and automatically sense and restore the machine. The files are not that import that were on the computer, so it is not important to try a factory reset. that is to say, I would sanction the proper command prompt to restore the device to its original; factory state. I do believe that it is so possible to do that.i had many programs on floppy disk that diagnostically corrected problems in the past, but of course things are getting scrambled and I am i n search of expert help on this matter.i am sometimes able to get into the MSD and need to change some of the BIOS settings that would allow the computer to boot up into the A. DRIVE AS WELL AS OTHER RESTORATIVE EDITS. I AM SURE that i am not   the only Legacy aficionado out here.Somehow the computer has installed conflicting editions of windows 95 and windows 98. It also reports that the windows   dos 3.22 is  no the correct DOs. I  have tried to manually install it but it will not happen. Also tried to xcopy the present copy  and then to overwrite it, but that didn't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

If I remember correctly Win95 and 98 required floppy startup disks to do an install. If data is not required on the hard drive you can burn an iso of Win98SE and install it if your computer supports booting from a CD. If not you will need to find a floppy that boots to DOS and from there install 

https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-98

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

I have to disagree with you about needing floppies John. I have an admittedly bent copy of Win 98 which came on DVD and installs perfectly, or at least it did when I was younger, more foolish and before I grew up and acquired XP legally. I am fairly sure I even still have it somewhere among the clutter !

My wife might call me a hoarder but it's not that - I just hate throwing serviceable stuff away.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

I had Win 98 (both versions) on CD.  As recall it...floppies were required when installing Win 98 to SATA drives...because Win 98 did not have drivers in their store for SATA.  Typically, the RAID drivers from the motherboard driver set...could/would be used to slipstream the drivers into Win 98 CDs.  nLite became popular.

It appears that memory did not fail me:  More On Same.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:32 AM

WIndows 98 SE (Second Edition) was indeed bootable from CD....a huge improvement.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

​DOES anyone know of the exact files need to diagnose and restructure a corrupt windows 98 installation? The disk would have to have the ability to diagnose missing files and to then give notice as to what files need to be inserted in order to accomplish the completion of the installation. Sounds strange but WINDOWS used to do this quite often. I have dozens of floppy disks from that era as well as legitimate windows 95 and windows 98 cds with files on them. i need the proper sequence to create my own installation disks.

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2017 - 08:54 AM.
Merged topics, moved topic to Win 9x forum - Hamluis.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,513 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

The only tool that I know of that can check for file integrity is the Windows 98 system file checker but it can only be run in Windows or in Safe Mode. It cannot be run from a boot disk. I remember there being a Windows 98 emergency boot disk offered through a third party but I can't find any reference to it doing a search. The closest I could find is here.Use Google translate.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-98s-system-file-checker-utility/

#8 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

The only tool that I know of that can check for file integrity is the Windows 98 system file checker but it can only be run in Windows or in Safe Mode. It cannot be run from a boot disk. I remember there being a Windows 98 emergency boot disk offered through a third party but I can't find any reference to it doing a search. The closest I could find is here.Use Google translate.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-98s-system-file-checker-utility/

I can get into safe mode easily (sometimes, and I  ran scandisk, scandisk and it found no problems. There was a flawed installation of windows 98 over windows 95 so there are two conflicting systems. years ago I knew someone who was very god with deep windows recovery issues. he could get into the command prompt and by using such procedures such as the following (dont anyone use these as these are just fanciful memories)  &&&&%%mmmo$33////^%$. Things like that did remarkable corrections. I need some one who knows how to overwrite the flawed files and replace them using the xcopy protocol which would reinstall the correct files even without my having to insert any new files.Even using the command prompt one line by line. I  need to know which ones to allow to start windows up normally and which ones to say no to ! Also does any one know how to use a printer cable connection to use as a slave to allow corrections from one computer to another. I recall some people could do that.It would allow me to transfer files from my newer desktop to the one laptop with the problem.the old laptop doesn't have a cd drive.. Also when I use the MSD feature I can alter the bios, what settings do I use to allow me to boot into the floppy disk drive?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,513 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:54 AM

Scandisk is not System file checker. If you want to check your system files in safe mode select Run and then type sfc.exe. As far as the rest of the questions I cannot help on that, sorry. Is there any reason why you do not want to do a fresh install of Windows 98SE? 98 is considered abandonware at this point. If Microsoft cared they would have issued a takedown notice a long time ago.

#10 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

Scandisk is not System file checker. If you want to check your system files in safe mode select Run and then type sfc.exe. As far as the rest of the questions I cannot help on that, sorry. Is there any reason why you do not want to do a fresh install of Windows 98SE? 98 is considered abandonware at this point. If Microsoft cared they would have issued a takedown notice a long time ago.

I can not do a fresh install as I do not have a cd drive on that Toshiba satellite computer (circa 1998). it must be done by floppy disk. If anyone has the proper sequence of files to install on each floppy disk, I can use them  by creating my own series. I have both the windows 95 and 98 and 98se cd disks.Sometimes on boot in safe mode, it requests to install windows 98 installation disk number 2. Which files are listed on that disk ??. The if it requires more, I can then proceed.the best solution is for someone with knowledge of command prompt to recreate the original windows installation files which are no doubt still buried within  the system.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,513 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

I don't know of a way to split floppies from a Win98 CD but you may want to try the method in the below link. You will need to make sure you have the USB drivers on the floppy disk as that will be required. Installing from floppies would require approx 69 floppies for 98SE.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/installing-windows-98-se-to-a-laptop-using-floppy-and-usb-298970/

Can this computer boot from a USB flash drive? At circa 1998 I doubt it but you never know. If it can boot a USB flash drive then your could try this method. If the computer cannot boot USB it may be possible to use Plop Boot Manager to access the USB port to install Windows from a USB flash drive or USB CD rom drive. You would need to create a bootable floppy of Plop using the floppy plpbt.img file in the zip file and Rawwrite on your laptop. Rawwrite will write the image to a floppy disk. Boot the disk and in the menu select USB with the USB flash drive or Win98SE already attached. I have successfully booted a USB flash drive using Plop on an computer that does not support booting from USB.

If the computer can boot from a USB CD/DVD rom drive this would also work. Those are fairly cheap. Though your USB port is most likely USB 1.1

I have never heard of a Windows Installation disk #2. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 June 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:35 AM

Sounds like it was upgraded 95 to 98. I would pull the drive and get a USB adapter. Format the drive and copy entire Windows cd to the drive. Reinstall the drive, run a floppy boot disk to get to the command line. From there run the windows setup. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

#13 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

Sounds like it was upgraded 95 to 98. I would pull the drive and get a USB adapter. Format the drive and copy entire Windows cd to the drive. Reinstall the drive, run a floppy boot disk to get to the command line. From there run the windows setup. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

I don't want to pull the drive, attach any cables use any other computer as a "slave", just a simply insert whatever files that the machine requests while in safe mode, I  have seen some web pages where they list the exact files that were requested. on each set up disk. I want to try and find the proper files located  on each disk then to insert item. for example, if i am requested to insert disk number 16, I want to know exactly what files were listed in the disk numbered 16 i can extract them from my windows cd.,I suppose I could attach some cables to a portable external hard drive, but the best solution is to follow the original plan for installation. I am still hoping that someone knows the correct command prompt to use system restore or factory reset as the files on the computer are of no importance.

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:53 PM

dos 3.22 is  no the correct DOs.?

Afraid the only way to fix this computer is to format it and reload it

There is no "magic" fix all repair for this one

In the beginning there was the command line.

#15 Aoresteen

Aoresteen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

I have done dozens of Win98SE installs.  Eyesee is right.  You will have to do a clean install.

Here's what I would do:

1.  Get a Win98 startup disk and make sure it will boot your Toshiba to a command prompt.  Format the hard dive FAT32.  If you want to break up the drive into more than one partition now is the time to do so. Partition/format the drive FAT32 (I use Partition Magic 8 - it boots from two floppies).  It is very important to do this in the Toshiba as many Toshiba laptops the BIOS saves space at the end of the drive to store a copy of RAM contents when you hibernate the computer.  It looks like unallocated space but the BIOS uses it.

2.  Pull the hard drive (I know you don't want to but it's the easiest way to do it).

3.  Use a USB hard dive adapter and hang the drive on a WInXP or newer computer.

3.  Make a new directory called WIN98 (or WIN98SE). From the Win98 install CD copy all the files from the CD to this new directory.  From the root of the drive you should have only one directory - WIN98.

4.  Reinstall the hard drive back into your Toshiba.  Boot from the WIn98 startup disk.

5.  At the A:\ prompt type C:\

6.  Now you are on the C:\ drive.   Type CD WIN98 (or CD WIN98SE if that what you named your directory).

7.  Type SETUP and the Windows 98 install program will start.  Have your product key ready and Win98 will install a lot faster than it does from a CD.  If it is an upgrade CD product Key you will need a set Windows 3.1 floppy disks to validate the update.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users