Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get Wifi transmitter to work

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 IronMaiden051

IronMaiden051

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hi.  Before I begin, let me say that I have never been good with the technical side of computers.  Ever.  So I'm going to explain this as best I can in layman's terms, so I apologize ahead of time if I leave out an important detail that might help in answering my question.

With that said, I recently bought a USB receiver and transmitter for my laptop.  We don't have an internet signal at home, no router or modem or anything, so we use a free public signal.  The problem is that the signal is weak.  I can't connect to the internet on my computer without the use of a network adapter.  And I can't get online at all with devices like my tablet and 3DS, not unless I have them resting against the window.  So what I'm hoping to do is use this USB transmitter as a Wifi hotspot from my laptop to my tablet and 3DS.  The device seems to work fine as a receiver.  But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get it to transmit the signal.  I figured out how to switch it from a receiver to a transmitter, and my other devices recognize the signal it's putting out.  But they absolutely refuse to connect to it, no matter what I do.  I've been messing around with the Internet Connection Sharing settings, but nothing there seems to be fixing the problem.  So my question is, how do I fix it so my other devices can connect to the signal?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  But again, please keep in mind that I am not good with the technical terminology of computers.

Also, I am using the Windows 10 operating system, which is why I'm posting this here.  Sorry if it's the wrong category.  It was the closest I could find.

[Moved to Networking:  britechguy]

Edited by britechguy, 02 June 2017 - 06:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users