Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange things happening

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 janep

janep

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

Today some unexplained and unusual things began happening.  All random.  The computer screen 'blinks', sort of like instant 'lightning'.  Hard to explain.  My clipboard isn't working right - only sporadically.  Once I clicked on the 'start' button, and it only showed 'search' and one other thing. (Don't remember).  My internet is moving slower than usual, but nothing is wrong with the network. (I checked). Some Chrome pages get 'stuck' randomly.  Oh- major problem - Microsoft is not autosaving XL and Word files; opened a spreadsheet that I worked on yesterday, the the version was from 2 weeks ago!  I always save files before closing, and have Autorecovery every 1 minute just in case.  No auto recovery files.  Can't think what else, all seems random.

I've closed everything, shut the computer down, and restarted; nothing changed.  I have Trend Micro Maximum Security and it hasn't found anything in the last week. Today I ran Emisoft from here and it found nothing.

What else can I say to help you help me?

Thanks,

Jane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coldtowelneeded

coldtowelneeded

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:44 AM

See if you can download Malwarebytes [free] https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ and run that?

if you are on Win 10 settings changes a can happen and are infuriating but this is not even in that league .good luck.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

See if you can download Malwarebytes [free] https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ and run that?

if you are on Win 10 settings changes a can happen and are infuriating but this is not even in that league .good luck.

So far the op has not posted anything which would indicate malware.  You need to be aware that tools like Malwarebytes can not be run in the Windows Forums for security reasons.  These tools are only used by members in the Am I Infected forum.  There is another forum titled Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs where members of our Malware Removal Team address these infections. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

@janep

Please do the following and post the results in your topic.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

You will see an image similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Please run chkdsk /r, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD.

To run chkdsk /r you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt, if this is a SSD you do not want to run the /r switch, you will want to use chkdsk /f then press Enter.

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.  Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 03 June 2017 - 09:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 coldtowelneeded

coldtowelneeded

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

So far the op has not posted anything which would indicate malware.  You need to be aware that tools like Malwarebytes can not be run in the Windows Forums for security reasons.  These tools are only used by members in the Am I Infected forum.  There is another forum titled Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs where members of our Malware Removal Team address these infections. :thumbup2:

B O F ,,,,Sorry if i got in the way, as is obvious i am just someone who knows very little on the subject. good to know you are there.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

B O F ,,,,Sorry if i got in the way, as is obvious i am just someone who knows very little on the subject. good to know you are there.

You have not gotten in the way.  This is how I learned what I now know.  Get involved and learn.

#7 janep

janep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

To: Bleeping Old Fart

First of all, THANK YOU for responding so quickly!  My computer is still up to the same shenanigans this am.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/z0NycV4Su0wnseFoIWqOvgg

Sorry, I don't know what "PSU" means??

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow - "no integrity violations were found"

Running chkdsk now, had to restart computer; will post results next.

Edited by janep, 05 June 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hi janep

A PSU is a Power Supply Unit.  These are used in desktop computers.  Laptops have power adapter which converts the house voltage and rectifies it from AC (Alternating Current) to DC (Direct Current).  A power adapter will usually have one voltage going to the motherboard where other voltages are derived from that incoming voltage.  A PSU converts the AC voltage to DC voltages.  A PSU has rail voltages which typically are +12V DC, +5V DC, and +3.3V DC.  These different voltages are known as rail voltages.  Don worry, there will be no test later. :thumbup2:

Houston... we have a problem.  I know that some of what we ask members to do seems complicated, but these really are simple if you just take this one step at a time.  Please do the Speccy Snapshot again.  When this is completed correctly a hyperlink will be posted which when it is clicked/tapped on will open another page with the full results of the Speccy.  The link below is a Speccy Snapshot of my computer.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Drc5N6GBVuIKhiEvO2gQ2qm

Click/tap on the link to see the snapshot.  This way you will know what the link is suppose to look like.

#9 janep

janep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

BOF - Thanks for the explanation of the PSU; however, I'm still a little lost about it.  This I can tell you: I have an Acer Aspire R5-471T; it's a solid state laptop that can also be used as touch pad tablet.

Here's what came from the Speccy clipboard: (it didn't form a link) (after submitting message it DID form a link)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/SO1z8ZsvCwQWkZPdWQB37bt

As for chkdsk /r, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD, I first did it with /f.  Here's the message I got:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) n

I clicked Y and restarted and it didn't do the system check.  So I tried to run another chkdsk but with /r, got exact same message as above.

Am I doing something wrong?  How do I make it do that program.  I remember doing it all the time before Windows 10 (or 8?)
Thanks!!

Edited by janep, 05 June 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#10 janep

janep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

BOF, I was just thinking about that chkdsk.  When I restarted my computer after running it the first time I did get a Windows message, as it was restarting, something to the effect of :"Please wait as repairs to system are being made"

Do you think that was result of the chkdsk?

I thought things were better, but now it's not.  The problem appears to be with Windows or Microsoft - when I opened Word early today I got a message to the effect of 'are you sure you want to open it as before it was corrupted'.  I opened it after the restart and the above message on 1st line.  It's acting squirrely - my curser stopped working in Word; then I clicked "Cntr/Del" and the Settings menu came up, but wouldn't do anything.  I wanted to open the Task Manager to quit Word, but nothing would work at all. I had to manually shut down and restart computer.

Edited by janep, 05 June 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#11 janep

janep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

:smash:   CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME??  History is above; I thought it was a MS problem, but it's also Adobe Reader and who knows what else!  Things are getting more erratic!

As always, I appreciate the help!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

I see that the installation date for the operating system was the 25th of May.  Is this computer this new or did you reinstall the operating system?

By the way, my name is dc3, not BOF.

Edited by dc3, 06 June 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#13 janep

janep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

dc3, sorry about the name.  I was taking if off of your avatar name.

I don't know why it shows that installation date.  No, the computer is about 1 1/2 yrs old; I have never reinstalled the operating system?

So I just uploaded and installed Microsoft Office windows updates.  I hope that fixes that program problems.

Edited by janep, 09 June 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:24 AM

I would like for you to do a Reset.  This basically will reinstall the operating system, this will not effect your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you have installed since acquiring this computer.  If this is agreeable with you follow the instructions below.  As always, if you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

Settings%20w10_zpshotznunu.png

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

settings%20w10-2_zpslwcrdejs.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

Settings%20w%2010-3_zpsjcoecsv4.png

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

If you have recently installed this operating system you will receive the message below.

Setting%20w10-4_zps9ejgxhyo.png

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

#15 janep

janep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

DC3, I appreciate your advice.  i've been tempted to do this before, but I am unwilling to lose all of the 3rd party programs that are installed.  I guess I could print a list of them and do it on a weekend; maybe I will, but this is a very scary proposition for me!

The main problem now seems to be MS Office crashing, and I updated it last week, but problem remains.  I think I'll focus on that problem now and try to solve without resetting the computer.  Thanks so much for your help.

I hope that you're around if I do decide to reset my computer later!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users