Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uninstalling and installing same printer Mac Book Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

If I have a printer that was connected to a Mac via WiFi, and then due a new router being installed the connection to the printer was then severed.

Is the best way to Uninstall the printer by going to system preferences, selecting the printer, then the - button on the screen. Does that delete the drivers as well?

I am just wondering how that works. I then tried running the download that I used to set it up about a week ago, but nothing worked. So I went back to the printer support and downloads page and then downloaded and ran the driver and software for the same printer.

It worked, and I was able to connect the laptop to the printer. Would the printer now have the drivers installed twice, and if so can that cause problems? Or did it delete the driver when I removed the printer from system preferences?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hi,

If I have a printer that was connected to a Mac via WiFi, and then due a new router being installed the connection to the printer was then severed.

The printer connected to the WiFi directly, correct? When you changed routers, did you also change the SSID, encryption method, or WiFi password? If the WiFi network is setup exactly the same, then the printer should have just connected again with no issues.

Is the best way to Uninstall the printer by going to system preferences, selecting the printer, then the - button on the screen. Does that delete the drivers as well?

I am just wondering how that works. I then tried running the download that I used to set it up about a week ago, but nothing worked. So I went back to the printer support and downloads page and then downloaded and ran the driver and software for the same printer.

It worked, and I was able to connect the laptop to the printer. Would the printer now have the drivers installed twice, and if so can that cause problems? Or did it delete the driver when I removed the printer from system preferences?

I doubt the drivers where installed twice. The worst that would have happens would be two listings for the printer in the System Prefs. And then that would not really harm anything...just might create issues for you when you go to print as you might remember which one works and which one does not.

As to whether you need to remove the printer or not, I don't believe it matters. More than likely if you try the reinstall again, it will likely just replace the drivers. But, when in doubt, removed the printer and start from scratch is the approach I take.

#3 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

Ok, I was mainly concerned if I might have installed the drivers twice, and if that would cause any issue. I had removed the printer via the system preferences, but I didn't go into the hard drive and remove the driver. But it sounds like what you are saying is it probably just replaced the first driver with the same one and there should be no issue. 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

Ok, I was mainly concerned if I might have installed the drivers twice, and if that would cause any issue. I had removed the printer via the system preferences, but I didn't go into the hard drive and remove the driver. But it sounds like what you are saying is it probably just replaced the first driver with the same one and there should be no issue.

Should be no issue. If the driver was still there, it was likely replaced when you installed it again.

And just so you know, Apple tends to update many printer drivers with the OS updates. This is especially typically true of HP printers, but others as well.

#5 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

Interesting, I didn't know that Apple did that.

#6 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

[quote name="smax013" post="4252899" timestamp="1496437423"]

[quote name="huntsin2" post="4252880" timestamp="1496436050"]
Hi,

The printer connected to the WiFi directly, correct? When you changed routers, did you also change the SSID, encryption method, or WiFi password? If the WiFi network is setup exactly the same, then the printer should have just connected again with no issues.
 [/quote]

I missed this the first time. The WiFi password was changed.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Interesting, I didn't know that Apple did that.

Microsoft offering something similar through their Windows update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users