Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VGA and USB Splitter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Roxabox

Roxabox

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum for this. I work from home and have a personal computer (Windows 10) and a work Chromebook. I would like the ability to split my one monitor to be able to be used with both PCs so I don't have to keep unplugging and replugging in the VGA cables from one PC to the other. For that issue I found THIS  my question is will this work with two different operating systems and since my Chromebook doesn't have a VGA cable output I have to use a VGA-HDMI adapter will this effect it at all?

Now onto the USB splitter...I just bought a brand new wired USB mouse I would like to be able to use it with both computers as well without having to constantly switch it over. Is there such thing as a USB splitter with a switch so that I can have it set to "OFF" on one computer to prevent random clicking around if my other computer is on?

I hope all this mumbo jumbo makes sense. I tried to explain it the best I could. :P

Edited by Roxabox, 02 June 2017 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum for this. I work from home and have a personal computer (Windows 10) and a work Chromebook. I would like the ability to split my one monitor to be able to be used with both PCs so I don't have to keep unplugging and replugging in the VGA cables from one PC to the other. For that issue I found THIS  my question is will this work with two different operating systems and since my Chromebook doesn't have a VGA cable output I have to use a VGA-HDMI adapter will this effect it at all?

It should work in terms of different OSs. The box has no way of knowing what OS is connecting to it...it is just a "dumb" box that takes the output signal and passes it on.

The issue you will have is that VGA and HDMI are not compatible by default. VGA is an analog signal while HDMI is a digital signal. So, you would need an "active" VGA to HDMI converter that can convert the analog to digital (or vice versa...not completely clear on which way you are going). This will mean a power converter device, not just a cable adapter.

Now onto the USB splitter...I just bought a brand new wired USB mouse I would like to be able to use it with both computers as well without having to constantly switch it over. Is there such thing as a USB splitter with a switch so that I can have it set to "OFF" on one computer to prevent random clicking around if my other computer is on?

I hope all this mumbo jumbo makes sense. I tried to explain it the best I could. :P

You cannot split a USB device in the manner that you want, to my knowledge. You want a USB switch.

And in reality, what you want is a KVM switch (aka "keyboard, video, mouse" switch). This will allow you to hook both computers to the KVM box on "one side" and then the monitor, external keyboard, and mouse on the other side. The box then can switch which computer sends the video signal to the monitor as well as is controlled by the keyboard and mouse. You will still potentially need to address the VGA-HDMI conversion unless you can find a KVM switch that has that capability built into it.

#3 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:38 PM

Hello,

It should work in terms of different OSs. The box has no way of knowing what OS is connecting to it...it is just a "dumb" box that takes the output signal and passes it on.

The issue you will have is that VGA and HDMI are not compatible by default. VGA is an analog signal while HDMI is a digital signal. So, you would need an "active" VGA to HDMI converter that can convert the analog to digital (or vice versa...not completely clear on which way you are going). This will mean a power converter device, not just a cable adapter.

You cannot split a USB device in the manner that you want, to my knowledge. You want a USB switch.

And in reality, what you want is a KVM switch (aka "keyboard, video, mouse" switch). This will allow you to hook both computers to the KVM box on "one side" and then the monitor, external keyboard, and mouse on the other side. The box then can switch which computer sends the video signal to the monitor as well as is controlled by the keyboard and mouse. You will still potentially need to address the VGA-HDMI conversion unless you can find a KVM switch that has that capability built into it.

As I go to test out my AVI to HDMI adapter I realize that my monitor cord is actually DVI. LOL. Whoops. (My other monitor is AVI) So I will return that and get a DVI to HDMI adapter. Now, I am looking at this. Will this do what I need it to do if I use a DVI to HDMI adapter? If not do you have any suggestions on what to buy to fulfill my wishes? :P

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

As I go to test out my AVI to HDMI adapter I realize that my monitor cord is actually DVI. LOL. Whoops. (My other monitor is AVI) So I will return that and get a DVI to HDMI adapter. Now, I am looking at this. Will this do what I need it to do if I use a DVI to HDMI adapter? If not do you have any suggestions on what to buy to fulfill my wishes? :P

Maybe.

In general, again, this new device will handle switching video independent of OS.

The question is whether it will work with your video output types for both computers as well as with the video input on your monitor. I say that because the original way you stated your problem suggests that maybe you use a VGA input on your monitor. So, it might help if you provide the exact brand and models of both the Windows computer, the Chromebook, and your monitor. That will allow me to look up what video output formats your computers support as well as what video input format your monitor supports.

This goes back to the analog vs digital signals. VGA is analog only. HDMI is analog only. DVI can be either digital only, analog only, or both. The original device you were looking at was VGA only, which means analog only. This new device is HDMI only, which means digital only. If you need to "bridge" the analog to digital divide, then it will require a converter as just an adapter cable will not work. So, whether the original device or this newer device will work in terms of your video needs will depend on what your needs really are. And I do not really know your actual needs until you provide more info on your computers and monitor.

As to suggestions on what to buy, I don't generally offer suggestions on what specifically to buy unless I have used a product myself and know how well it works or not. In general, as I said before, it seems like you want a KVM switch. Once I know specifically what types of ports you have for your computers and monitor, then I can offer up an example of what would work for your needs. It will not be a suggestion on what specifically you should buy, but rather an example of what type of device you want to look for. You could buy that example, but I will typically be clear that I have not used that device, so I don't know how well it works. I typically mean it is an illustrative example of you want to look for so that you can then look at other options and pick one that you think would work for you pricewise as well as in terms of perceived quality (i.e. review rates on say Amazon).

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,372 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

What you want is a USB KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch, like this.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

What you want is a USB KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch, like this.

Since the original poster mentioned HDMI and VGA, that might not be enough or they might need one that supports HDMI connections instead of VGA. That is partly why I asked for the specific setup in terms of what output ports are on the two computers and what input port(s) are on the monitor. Tough to offer a suggestion on a specific type of KVM, let alone a specific KWV switch until that is known.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,372 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

smax013 OP mentioned that they already have a HDMI to VGA adapter.  

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

smax013 OP mentioned that they already have a HDMI to VGA adapter.

But, is it an adapter only (i.e. just changes from a HDMI connection to a VGA connection) or does it actually also convert from digital to analog as well as would be required when going form HDMI to VGA (or vice versa)? That is the part that is not clear to me.

And I am still not completely clear what both computers and the monitor uses as the video type. It appears the Chromebook might have HDMI, but it was not clearly stated other than that it does not have VGA. Nothing has been said about what the Windows 10 laptop has. For the monitor, it appears that it might be DVI, although originally it appeared it might be VGA. So, I guess my point is that it is not clear if an HDMI KVM switch alone will do what is needed. There might need to be HDMI to DVI cable or a HDMI to VGA converter. And that assumes that the Windows laptop has either HDMI or DVI and not something less common like DisplayPort (not too likely) or MiniDisplayPort (still not too likely, but more likely than a full DisplayPort).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users