Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Backup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DreadTech

DreadTech

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

Afternoon I'm looking for cost effective online backup solutions any recommendations?

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

We need to know exactly what you are backing up:  NAS?  RAID?  one internal HD?  two internal HDs?  usb ext HD or HDs?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

We need to know exactly what you are backing up:  NAS?  RAID?  one internal HD?  two internal HDs?  usb ext HD or HDs?

I would argue the more relevant question is how much data are you trying to backup?

And do you want a true online backup service? Or is a more cloud sync type service OK?

If you don't have a lot of data, then you might able to use one of the free options with Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. While these are not true backup services, they can function as a backup service for data.

If you want a true online backup service, then there are the "big ones" like Carbonite, Backblaze, CrashPlan, etc.

Here are some articles offering up lists:

https://www.lifewire.com/online-backup-services-reviewed-2624712
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-cloud-backup,review-2678.html

FWIW, I would not rely ONLY on an online backup service. I would strongly suggest local backups as well. While using only an online backup service is better than nothing, there is always the chance that the company folds and your backup is gone. If you have a local backup, then you still have that local backup. Of course, if you pick a larger, well know online backup company then the chances that the company just disappears all of a sudden is extremely low. I still like to have local backups (part of it is that I just don't trust companies with my sensitive data...I will trust them with some data, but not all of it).

Edit: One other thing to keep in mind if you have large amounts of data is that uploading data can take quite a while. Typically, most residential Internet connections have much slower upload speeds than download speeds. For example, while my download speed is about 70 to 90 Mbps (varies), my upload speed maxes out at about 12 Mbps. At 12 Mbps and assuming I am actually getting that full upload speed when connecting to the online backup servers, it would take a little over 11 minutes to upload 1 GB of data. That means about 185 hours for 1 TB of data. Some online backup services have provided an option in the past to start the backup locally, then send them the backup drive for continuation of the backup online to help with this issue. If you have a slow upload speed, then you might want to keep all this in mind.

Edited by smax013, 03 June 2017 - 11:16 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:07 AM

+1 smax!  Second the motion about also having a localized backup/restore strategy.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

Just my 2¢

I've recently looked into online backup solutions for my wife's business.

The main attraction here is that the backup is isolated from the system/network that the data is on.

This way, things like ransomware can't hold her data hostage.

I found several decent, cheap(er) solutions - but all were for personal data rather than business data (I haven't explored the differences between the two).

And I found that business solutions were beyond the price that my wife's business could afford to pay.

The personal solutions would likely work for her (she doesn't have much data) - but I'm not sure of the worth of a cloud backup that doesn't cover business data.

I'm still considering the big ones like smax013 brought up - but haven't committed to the costs.  I'm considering using the personal options for her business backup.

Meanwhile, I go to the wife's office once a week and backup here data onto external hard drives - then disconnect the hard drives from the systems.

We also:

- backup her main business program to an external hard drive on a daily basis (this one is supposed to be disconnected daily (and swapped with one other external drive), but is frequently forgotten)

- backup her file server to another internal hard drive on a daily basis

- backup her file server to another computer on the network on a daily basis

- backup her working computer to another internal hard drive on a daily basis

- backup her QuickBooks after each use to a USB drive

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:09 AM

"...This way, things like ransomware can't hold her data hostage..."

"...(this one is supposed to be disconnected daily (and swapped with one other external drive), but is frequently forgotten)..."

During a ransomware attack, or a viri attack, or a malware attack -- anything connected, anywhere (cloud or local), in any way, will be affected.  And, let's say nobody noticed a quiet ransomware or viri or malware attack has been in progress, unless the Cloud has versioning (or Cloud company makes on-their-site-backups for you also), the ransom-scrambled files are also being backed up onto the Cloud, and perhaps into your various localized backups.   Versioning and offsite is a must for every home business.

While your backup routine is one of the finest, localized, thorough, that I have ever seen, realize nothing is mess-proof if it is connected during any attack.  I do not see any backups going offsite, everything appears to be only onsite.  There probably is a less expensive version of the common, now popular, 3-2-1 backup approach found on The 'Net.

If you want additional ideas:  community.spiceworks' Data Backup, Data Recovery, disaster data recovery forums will be helpful.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 June 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

Just my 2¢

I've recently looked into online backup solutions for my wife's business.
The main attraction here is that the backup is isolated from the system/network that the data is on.
This way, things like ransomware can't hold her data hostage.

I found several decent, cheap(er) solutions - but all were for personal data rather than business data (I haven't explored the differences between the two).
And I found that business solutions were beyond the price that my wife's business could afford to pay.
The personal solutions would likely work for her (she doesn't have much data) - but I'm not sure of the worth of a cloud backup that doesn't cover business data.

You likely will have to try to determine what the difference is between a site's "consumer" option and their "business" option. For Backblaze, this page kind of outlines it:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-for-business-launches/

Sounds like the main difference is central billing and central reporting for the business version. Price-wise, it looks to be the same...i.e. $50 per year per computer.

Other services likely will have different differences between the consumer level and business level options.

I'm still considering the big ones like smax013 brought up - but haven't committed to the costs.  I'm considering using the personal options for her business backup.
Meanwhile, I go to the wife's office once a week and backup here data onto external hard drives - then disconnect the hard drives from the systems.

We also:
- backup her main business program to an external hard drive on a daily basis (this one is supposed to be disconnected daily (and swapped with one other external drive), but is frequently forgotten)
- backup her file server to another internal hard drive on a daily basis
- backup her file server to another computer on the network on a daily basis
- backup her working computer to another internal hard drive on a daily basis
- backup her QuickBooks after each use to a USB drive

You may want to consider a tape drive for the file server. With the right software, you could also backup other computers across the network to the tape drive.

Regardless, it seems like a pretty solid backup system.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

What we need is an IT person to handle this.

The wife can't add it to her list of things she has to do - as she's already overwhelmed.
She doesn't want any of the employees doing it either.

That leaves it up to me.

Last Sunday I imaged (Acronis TrueImage) the file server and her working computer.

I've also backed up the data from the other 4 computers simply by copying folders (Desktop/Documents/Downloads/Favorites/Pictures/Videos)

Although they're not off-site, they are disconnected from the systems.

I was supposed to go over and do it again today - but didn't make it.

Won't be able to get there for another 5 days either.

Any suggestions on how to do the off-site stuff?

Edited by usasma, 04 June 2017 - 05:08 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

Tapes and external HDs can be placed into a fireproof/waterproof safe housed anywhere you trust, or simply stored offsite, in any place you trust.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

Tapes and external HDs can be placed into a fireproof/waterproof safe housed anywhere you trust, or simply stored offsite, in any place you trust.

Your run of the mill fireproof safe that you can get from say Walmart or Staples may not protect tapes or external hard drives. It will largely depend on the level of the fire. If it a small fire and mostly smoke and water and where the safe is located did not get exposed to very high heat, then it might (also assuming that it is waterproof). If it gets exposed to very high heat, then tapes and optical discs will likely be pools of melted plastic and external hard drives could be partially a pool of melted plastic (for those with plastic enclosures) and warped metal.

Those run of the mill fireproof safes are designed to protect paper. Paper can be exposed to very high heat (but protected from flames) and not be harmed. Plastic and most metals, not so much. Temperatures in one of those safes can get very high if in a very hot fire. Hot enough to melt plastic and soften & weaken most metals (including steel). With metal aspects of a hard drive, the metal could soften and weaken enough at high temperatures that the metal might warp, which could then effect the performance of the drive.

End result, if you want to be sure, then you need to get a fireproof safe that is rated for type of computer media that you plan to store in it. And those are typically NOT cheap. Certainly generally not the $30 to $100 for your typical "home" fireproof safe that would will find at the likes of Walmart or Staples. You can find more cost efficient ones, but they will generally be smaller (i.e. not a lot of room) and will only be effective for a certain amount of time at a certain temperature (which is typically long enough for most fires as most fires do not last for huge amounts of time, especially when dealing with say a detached single family home or a single story small building for a small business). I did find one for a little over $100 on Amazon from FirstAlert that lists as rated for media that will supposedly keep the internal temp below 125 deg F when the outside temp is up to 1700 deg F for an hour. Not completely sure how much I would trust that.

Of course, putting such media in even a run of the mill fireproof safe designed for paper is better than just leaving it sitting on a desk. Everything is relative.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

"Your run of the mill fireproof safe..."  came from a well-known, well-respected, safe and lock company in Round Rock, it costs $400.00 -- I think you are grasping at straws.  How about we let the OP decide what is best, and leave well enough alone?

Edited by RolandJS, 04 June 2017 - 10:17 PM.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

What we need is an IT person to handle this.
The wife can't add it to her list of things she has to do - as she's already overwhelmed.
She doesn't want any of the employees doing it either.
That leaves it up to me.

Last Sunday I imaged (Acronis TrueImage) the file server and her working computer.
I've also backed up the data from the other 4 computers simply by copying folders (Desktop/Documents/Downloads/Favorites/Pictures/Videos)
Although they're not off-site, they are disconnected from the systems.
I was supposed to go over and do it again today - but didn't make it.
Won't be able to get there for another 5 days either.

Any suggestions on how to do the off-site stuff?

To make use of a phrase that some might object to, there are many ways to skin that cat.

There are various commercial online options, obviously. Some even let you use your own hardware but they just provide the "online pathway" between the location being backed up (say your wife's business office) and the location where you have the hardware containing the backup (say your house). Crashplan offers such an option to my knowledge.

There are "do it yourself" options where you setup some sort of Internet facing NAS that you can then remotely backup to.

And of course, there are various good old "sneaker net" options where you still go into the office, do the backup, and then take the backup media with you when you leave and keep that backup media at your house or maybe a safe deposit box.

So, as to not hijack the original poster's thread about pure online options, if you want to explore more than just a pure online option, you likely should create your own thread. I can certainly suggest at least one backup program (that I have used) that can make at least backing up multiple machines at one location easier, but won't in this thread.

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

"Your run of the mill fireproof safe..."  came from a well-known, well-respected, safe and lock company in Round Rock, it costs $400.00 -- I think you are grasping at straws.  How about we let the OP decide what is best, and leave well enough alone?

I would not call that a run of the mill fireproof safe as the vast majority of people are not going to pay $400 for a fireproof safe. And then there is still the question of what that safe is rated for. It might still only be rated for paper.

When most people talk about getting a fireproof safe (and what I call run of the mill) are items like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SentrySafe-1200-Fire-Safe-Chest/21783247
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SentrySafe-Model-1170-Fire-Safe-Security-File-Black/6340081

Those two are most common type of "fireproof" safe you will see a homeowner have. I have several...for PAPER files.

At the higher end, you might see something like this, which they claim will work for media, but I have my doubts...again it will depend on how much heat and for how long:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Alert-.94-Cu.-Ft.-Bolt-Down-Combination-Waterproof-and-Fire-Resistant-Safe-with-Ready-Seal-Technology/21607723#about-item

As to being off topic, the whole fireproof safe discussion (even suggesting them) is technically off topic as the original poster asked only about online backup services. So, we varied from the topic a while ago.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

While the title was basically concerned with online backups, we are definitely on topic.  OP wants to know:

What online backup options are affordable and available?

Since OP also mentioned a listing of their onsite backup routine, that left open:

-- are the present onsite backups enough?  Or, should Cloud backup be added to the mix?

-- will the Cloud option decided upon be enough?  Will both the Cloud and onsite routines be enough?

We are answering the unspoken questions in this thread.  To give the OP a quick list of Cloud options and simply disappear from this thread would be a disservice, because we all know that a multi-faceted, 3-2-1 (or similar), onsite and offsite backup routine is far better than just Cloud backup or just onsite backup.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 June 2017 - 10:25 PM.

#15 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:46 PM

While the title was basically concerned with online backups, we are definitely on topic.  OP wants to know:
What online backup options are affordable and available?

Since OP also mentioned a listing of their onsite backup routine, that left open:
-- are the present onsite backups enough?  Or, should Cloud backup be added to the mix?
-- will the Cloud option decided upon be enough?  Will both the Cloud and onsite routines be enough?
We are answering the unspoken questions in this thread.  To give the OP a quick list of Cloud options and simply disappear from this thread would be a disservice, because we all know that a multi-faceted, 3-2-1 (or similar), onsite and offsite backup routine is far better than just Cloud backup or just onsite backup.

Actually, you are confusing usasma with the original poster who was DreadTech who only posted once with just the following question that was purely about "cost effective online backup solutions":

Afternoon I'm looking for cost effective online backup solutions any recommendations?

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

The original poster has not posted back since that first post. While it may not because we effectively hijacked his thread, I certainly cannot rule that out.

It was usasma that mentioned their local backup routine, not the original poster.

Edited by smax013, 04 June 2017 - 10:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users