Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS update

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 xTeChN0

xTeChN0

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

Hello!

Can anyone please help me through BIOS update step by step. I have never done it and there are a couple of ways doing it on my MB and I am not sure how to proceed and which one is most safe method. I am sure it is easy, but I would appreciate help from someone who knows exactly how to do it.

My specs:

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
  • Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
  • 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • MSI Z77A-G43 (MS-7758) (SOCKET 0)
  • 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI)
  • 931GB Seagate ST1000DX002-2DV162 ATA Device (SATA)
  • 111GB KINGSTON SHFS37A120G ATA Device (SSD)
  • TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB ATA Device
  • High Definition Audio Device

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

The support page, including BIOS downloads, for your motherboard is:  https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77A-G43.html#down-bios

At the bottom of the page are direct links to the company's own YouTube Videos showing you how to update BIOS step by step as well as a PDF file of instructions for same.  Those are your best references, and the definitive ones.

BIOS flashing is not difficult, but follow their instructions to the letter.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:22 AM

Yes I know about that. And those guides are not helpful. Followed those guides and after selecting BIOS update file from USB pen drive in mflash menu at BIOS it just froze. It did not even start the process it froze right after I selected update file. I waited for about 15 minutes and shut down the computer. It booted up fine. So I have bios version 2.10 and tried to install the latest one 2.13. How does this stuff work. Do I need to choose the latest BIOS version for update or the next one? And one more thing. In BIOS mflash menu there is an option to "update BIOS and ME" and " update BIOS". Which one should use? MSI guides tell to use "BIOS and ME", but this just froze. So MSI guide is not helpful for this particular board.

Used this guide to make bootable USB: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200124(v=ws.11).aspx

And this guide from MSI to mflash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyFMf0D9Lc

The pdf file is exactly the same only it does not tell to eject USB drive before restarting computer.

Edited by xTeChN0, 03 June 2017 - 03:30 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:27 AM

Is there an issue addressed by 2.13 that you have a problem with? Such a tiny increment in BIOS version is hardly worthwhile unless it resolves something for you.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:49 AM

I want to install windows 10, but I have had problems with multiple consecutive clean installs of windows 10. Installs were done with different installation medias and from DVD and USB flash drive. Read that bios update might solve these problems and for some it did. Usasma here told me that updating bios might help with this, but I did not want to try it before: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610672/chrome-and-windows-update-crashing-or-not-working-in-windows-10/

That is why I am doing it. 

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:29 AM

Fair enough, the updates since 2.10 do update several things including the Management Engine (ME), so it looks to me like it would be BIOS + ME you should be choosing, and the one we should see if we can find a way to get working.

A little reading of the MSI forums suggests there used to be some crankiness about this, but it's a long time since I've needed to update a BIOS and I'm not up on any tricks with UEFI. So it might be best to wait for britechguy to come back online and see if he can help with diagnosis of the problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

If you followed the guide to make a bootable flash drive from your link and used NTFS for the file system your flash will not work as MSI requires a FAT32 formatted bootable drive.

format fs=fat32 quick

See page 18 of the manual. BIOS boot needs to be enabled in UEFI settings.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77AG43.html#down-manual

#8 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

Ok thanks for the manual I for some reason did not think of it to search for the manual :D. So I would just ask to clarify that I did not miss anything else. I should download the LATEST version of BIOS then create bootable flash drive using FAT32 formatting. Then copy contents of BIOS archive to flash drive. Enable BIOS boot in UEFI settings. Choose mflash in BIOS and use "update BIOS and ME". Did I get everything right?

Is there difference in which USB port the flash drive needs to be 2.0 or 3.0?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

Yes, download the latest version. From what I can tell the BIOS updates are cumulative when looking at their sizes. I would use USB 2.0 as I am not sure if USB 3.0 is supported at boot. 

See this page on flashing BIOS using Mflash and flashing BIOS and ME. You may want to contact MSI support and ask which you should use. 

https://www.msi.com/page/biosflash

You may be interested in these threads regarding BIOS and ME flash.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163549.0

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=184108.0

After reading these threads I would definitely contact MSI tech support and ask if the ME flash is necessary.

#10 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

I now have tried with two different USB drives and with FAT32 file system. Also enabled BIOS boot. Also tried Mflash to update only BIOS without ME and tried to use just the next BIOS update not the latest one. Still freezes. This Mflash is broken.

Edited by xTeChN0, 03 June 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

You unzipped the contents of the BIOS zip file to the flash drive, correct? In other words you did not simply copy the zip file to the flash drive. 

Edit: According to the Mflash link I posted a bootable USB flash drive is not required, only if the Flash is to done via DOS. If you unzipped the files to the USB flash drive I would format the USB flash drive again without making it active.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 June 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#12 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

Yes I unzipped the archive and copied contents of the folder that was in it to USB flash drive. 3 files: text file, exe and 2D0 file. And this last thing did not help either. Formatted to FAT32 without making it bootable and same thing after choosing BIOS file it just freezes.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

Does the flash program insist that the BIOS update *must* be on external USB media?

I typically just put what I need in a temporary folder on my desktop and flash it from there, deleting it as soon as the process is complete.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#14 xTeChN0

xTeChN0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:07 AM

All the guides tell that Mflash has to be done from BIOS itself and from flash drive.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

When attaching the USB flash drive do not use the front panel. Attach it to the port on the back and use a USB 2 port, the ones in black, not the USB 3 ports in blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users