Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automaticly Turning Your Computer On

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jackr

jackr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:50 AM

hi, i was wondering if there is a program which alowes your computer or server to turn on at a set time, or a program to start at a certain time, the reason is that i have on peak and off peak usage per a month and i have to go to bed to get up early in the morning, so i dont like waiting around for it to hit 12:00am before i can turn my downloads on.
thanks too anyone who replies.. :thumbsup:

Edited by jackr, 09 September 2006 - 08:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:52 AM

What downloads were you wanting to download?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

If your computer is not running, how will it know to check the time to see if it is time to turn itself on? OTher than that, you can use the task scheduler to start applications running. It can be found in the control panel.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:17 AM

Have you looked in the BIOS to see if there is a setting to start your computer at a given time? You mentioned a server. If your workstation\desktop is PXE capable you could set your sever to turn your desktops on at a given time. This option would be found under boot options in the boot order, on the desktops. PXE can use the "Wake on LAN" feature that some NIC have. This feature takes above average knowledge of networking.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:45 PM

If your running xp, from the cmd prompt, you can use the command "at 00:00 /interactive (program you want to run path)"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users