Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I worry about free VPN services?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aj777

aj777

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Here's the thing. I'm not planning on doing anything even remotely illegal. All I do is watch German television that is geo restricted.

I really don't care who sees that, whether it be government, law enforcement, or advertisers. So with that in mind, do I really run any security risks by using a free VPN?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:04 AM

What kind of security risk? From whom? Are you asking if you can trust the VPN service? What's your worry?

Besides, I'm not sure a free VPN will be stable enough to watch an entire movie.

#3 aj777

aj777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

What kind of security risk? From whom? Are you asking if you can trust the VPN service? What's your worry?

Besides, I'm not sure a free VPN will be stable enough to watch an entire movie.

I'm not sure. I've just been told not to use a free VPN, but it mostly seems to be in reference to activities that are either embarrassing or illegal. For my purposes, I don't care if the pope himself sees what I'm doing, so long as it fools the geo restricting system on the German television network sites. My only concern would be someone hacking into my computer or something, whereas people who say not to use a free VPN seem more concerned about the log keeping activities of the service. I really don't care. They're more than welcome to keep logs and sell the information. As far as I can tell, the worst that could happen is that I start seeing ads in German.

#4 neijoda

neijoda

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:15 AM

In my opinion, it's better safe than sorry. At least, I know that some of free VPN leak logs and info to whoever is willing to pay. I use Tunnel Bear for everything; you may want to check this list I've gathered by myself; however, always think twice before embarking on free VPN. You may be completely innocent but you for sure don't want your data to leak. 

#5 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,633 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

Check this site for some excellent unbiased information on VPN's in general. Loads of useful info here for a informed decision:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#6 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

I know of private VPN setup consisting of: NBN ISP 100/40 Mbps connection to Router, with 4 Raspberry Pi units connected to the router by ether cable. The VPN Server software is http://www.pivpn.io/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,953 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:36 AM

Free VPNs and proxies could be used as honeypots by hackers and government agencies
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

Tunnelbear did allow me to watch region-restricted programming....

The free version will run out of allowable bandwidth quite quickly, however....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:08 AM

A good paid Vpn service is worth the cash(like EkspressVpn) :notme:

#10 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

I suspect more and more websites that VPN's are used to bypass using an IP from the country the site is located in will go the way of the BBC and a few others and require you to register with your broad band provider details as well as other details making it near impossible to watch foreign TV. 

#11 elaine114

elaine114

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

I don't agree with free VPNs, for how can they make income with free software? Maybe they keep logs and you are the product.

Urge you use a paid VPN service. just as isccasi say, a good paid VPN service is worth the cash. but I recommend X-VPN. kkkkkk~

#12 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:01 PM

Free VPN's are not something I suggest.

Give a trial for any of the paid VPN's available then buy the one you like.

You might even get good deals on our deals page for the VPN you liked.

I liked and bought VPN Unlimited, so I suggest a trial of the program first.

And remember a general rule of thumb, "If you are not paying for the product; you, yourself, are the product".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users