Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic spell checker Gmail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gassa

Gassa

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:29 AM

Hi, since getting win 10 I have lost the automatic spell checker on Gmail, still works on my other pc (win 7) got the spell checker you have to click on but not the auto one?

Can anyone help

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hello,

If you're talking about the "automatic squiggly line under misspelled words" when you're composing e-mail in Gmail's web interface, that's actually not done by Gmail but by your web browser's spell checking feature.

I'd do a web search on "spell check [insert correct browser name here]" to determine how that is turned on for the browser(s) you use with Gmail.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Gassa

Gassa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

Hi Brian, yes done that and the spell check is on and works with Microsoft Works etc. but not on Gmail? I'm using IE 11 on Win 10 and searched this problem but all I get is how to turn it on!, it is on but wont work in gmail, any other ideas?

Thanks

Gary

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,819 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

No, other than trying a browser other than IE11.

It's working fine for me in IE11, Firefox, Chrome, and MS-Edge.   That or do a web search on "IE11 spell check not working" and try some of the things that turn up to try to correct the issue in IE11.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 lkudzy

lkudzy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

Hello,

I'm interested in importing my custom dictionary from Word/Outlook into Gmail so that I can automate spell check against that dictionary.  Any thoughts as to how to do that?  

Thanks!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users