Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner no longer throughly cleans my Windows 10 computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

Up until recently, CCleaner did a good job in cleaning garbage out of my computer and speeding it up. It appears that if I don't run such a program, my Windows 10 machine slows down within a week.

In the past, when I used CCleaner to clean my system, it usually had removed about 355 MB of trash. Recently, upon running the program, I had noticed that about 110 MB were being removed, so I went to the update area and then noticed that a full cleaning now requires their professional version. Now I'm not sure if that was always stated but I do know that the present version on my system doesn't clean the way it used to as over 200 MB were not removed.

Now I don't fault the company which has offered this program as freeware for years but I'm not sure if they had always claimed that the free version only cleaned a percentage of your computer. In any case, I"m not getting the same benefit I was getting.

So here's the question: are their other freeware programs available that do the same thing? I have no problem paying Piriform for the update but I'm not sure if the professional version will clean any more than the free one does now. I'd hate to purchase the Pro version and find out it only cleans the 110 MB I"m seeing now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

There is a trial version of CCleaner pro: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/pro-trial you get 14 days to test it, after that you either make payment or it turns into the free version.
I've been using the pro version for years, you can continue using it without renewing license but it doesn't automatically update to the newest version but you can do that manually - all other pro settings still work, unless there's been a change since last year when I renewed.

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

I've been using the free version for years and it has been very good but, as mentioned, recently, the amount of files cleaned went from an average of 350 MB to about 110 MB. I also noticed my machine significantly slowed down unless I rebooted.

Are you saying that the Pro version doesn't have to be renewed yearly but you can simply do the updates yourself or if you don't renew it yearly, it defaults to the free version? 

I am simply wondering if they stopped offering the same cleaning they had done in the past with the free version to prod you to purchase the pro version. I would purchase the Pro version if I don't have to renew it every year but I'm wondering if it will do an appreciably better job than the free version. 

I'm also curious if there are other free cleaning software out there that are safe and any good.  I

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

A significant reason for changes in the way CCleaner works by default is secondary to Windows security across users becoming stricter and stricter.

Back in the Windows 7 days it was no "trick" to do "full machine cleaning" because if you were an admin you could nuke anyone's files with impunity and without any resistance from Windows.  That stopped with Windows 8.

The only difference I've noticed with CCleaner free is that it now cleans for the user that you are logged in as, and only that user.  Professional apparently does all users like it used to from what I've read.

Most of what CCleaner cleans should have near zero impact on system speed in any way unless you have a disc drive that's so close to full that the OS doesn't have enough room to breathe.  If that's the case you either need a larger drive or need to offload files you actually wish to keep, but seldom use, to alternate storage.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

I am the only user on my computer and I believe I have administrator privileges. While the computer is on a network, it's only so it can be set up as wireless but there are no other users involved. The disc drive has 1.73 TB free so that's not the problem. 

For years, when using CCleaner, as mentioned, I would see it cleaning about 350 MB after a scan. Now it cleans about 110 MB so I had thought maybe Piriform has reduced the scope of the free program's efficacy to get people to purchase their pro version.

In any case, what I've noticed is that, in past, that my system would slow down and I could resolve that by running a ccleaner scan. This week, doing a scan did not speed up the system and that's when i had looked at Piriform's comparison of the free and pro version in which they had indicated that the pro version does a thorough cleaning ) which implies that the free version doesn't.

I did notice that rebooting the computer brought back the speed and am not sure what to make of that.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

What to make of that is that this has nothing to do with disc space.

You need to start up Task Manager and keep it available so that you can slowly become aware of what is "good baseline" performance for your machine (and show all processes, not just your own user processes) then when things go wonky take a look and see what has changed.  Is something hogging CPU?  Is something thrashing the disc?  Has something become a huge memory hog?

One of those things is likely your problem and it will probably lie at the feet of some program you use regularly and may depend on precisely what you're doing with it when the situation pops up.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

I've been using the free version for years and it has been very good but, as mentioned, recently, the amount of files cleaned went from an average of 350 MB to about 110 MB. I also noticed my machine significantly slowed down unless I rebooted.

Are you saying that the Pro version doesn't have to be renewed yearly but you can simply do the updates yourself or if you don't renew it yearly, it defaults to the free version? 

I am simply wondering if they stopped offering the same cleaning they had done in the past with the free version to prod you to purchase the pro version. I would purchase the Pro version if I don't have to renew it every year but I'm wondering if it will do an appreciably better job than the free version. 

I'm also curious if there are other free cleaning software out there that are safe and any good.  I

I bought several years ago & never renewed, the pro version features didn't end apart from auto updates, last year I decided to renew to get back the auto update, I'll see if the pro features continue after the expiry date.
Only way to see if it cleans more is to try for the free period.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

I realize that for the most part that I will be preaching to the choir with my next statement. 

CCleaner contains a registry cleaner which should not be used.  The following is a quotation from quietman7 regarding registry cleaners and optimization software.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 unopie

unopie

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

I can see where OP is coming from when saying it speeds up his computer. It appears to speed mine up as well after running, however it might just be psychological. 

As to the statement about removing less than it used to, I would suggest a little experiment:

1. Wait a week or however long you think it would take to accumulate any junk files on your computer.

2. Run free version of CCleaner.

3. Wait another week, (or however long you waited in step 1)

4. Run pro version of CCleaner.

5. Compare

#10 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

I have found my system drawing to a crawl after time but, in the past, running Ccleaner had definitely gotten my speed back. I only have the free version so I can't compare it to the pro version but what I had noticed of late is that I'm only showing 110 MB cleaned as to the 350 MB cleaned in the past. Then, when going to the Piriform site, I noticed a comparison among the free and pro version where the pro version was touted as  doing a thorough cleaning while the free version didn't.

Now I don't know if Piriform always made this differentiation . . . even when I was cleaning over 350 MG or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users