Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Recommended Adware Blockers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:44 PM

I use uMatrix extension for Google Chrome.  It's available also for Firefox.  Not sure about IE.  I like it, but it's annoying sometimes how you have to fiddle around with it so much.  It's either ALL or NOTHING.  I wish there was some middle ground that I could simply install and have it do most of what I want most of the time.  Example when I got to an eCommerce site like eBay or NewEgg I have to turn the whole thing OFF because there will always be some strange little piece of jscript that won't let me click a button to write a review, or save to wish list or send a note to the Vendor or who-knows-what.  But then when you turn uMatrix OFF, then you are waiting 10 seconds for each webpage to load because you have to see that video advertisement for eharmony, or something equally stupid.

So that's pretty much my gripes about uMatrix. Good, even GREAT sometimes, but then there's the long list of "except fors".

So I wonder if anyone else has a better option.  Or maybe someone has a worse solution than I do, and would be glad to know about uMatrix. Either way, I'm interested in what other people think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

I use AdBlock Plus, Ghostery and Privacy Badger together... I also experience much of the same nonsense as you. Privacy Badger (which does most of the blocking) has toggles to switch particular blocks on/off, and can be configured for every site you visit. They're very handy once you get the hang of using them, but there's a bit of a learning curve.

Edited by TsVk!, 01 June 2017 - 11:42 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

I, also, am an Adblock Plus and Ghostery user, along with HTTPS everywhere.

Under Firefox I also have the Better Privacy add-on installed.

I find that's enough for me.  There are still times I have to suspend or tweak Ghostery particularly for reading/writing reviews.  On the whole, though, I don't get bothered by not being able to do the vast majority of what I need to do.  And I've come to recognize most instances where I need to tweak.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

I use Request Policy Continued. Allows you to manipulate/control cross site requests, like ad networks. FireFox only:

https://requestpolicycontinued.github.io/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

Resources to help prevent advertisements & block websites:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018