Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage by IE 11/Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:11 PM

For the last couple of weeks IE 11 is constantly using about 10% of my CPU power all the time. I've run several different security checks and they all come up without any issues. I've disabled all add-ons, done a reset of IE, run SFC with students on any problems and even done a complete DISM reset of Windows 10.

Here's a screenshot from Process Explorer showing the CPU usage.

Attached File  Capture.JPG   24.35KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ItzRetro

ItzRetro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:48 PM

Hello there,

Is this affecting your system at all? If it is, i found a post on Microsoft's support forum that asked the same thing.

You might want to try this. 

Tell me if this work and if its affecting your system at all.

The Graphics Device Interface (GDI) subsystem on the computer is responsible for rendering information on the screen. GDI accepts requests for the display of information from several applications or services. When you scroll through a Web page by using a mouse, a keyboard or a touchpad, and the Use smooth scrolling option is enabled, requests are made to redraw with every line that changes. This behavior may cause high CPU use. Therefore, if you use a mouse, a keyboard, or a touchpad to scroll through a Web page while you play a video DVD, an audio DVD, or an audio CD, you may experience video or audio distortion.

To work around this issue, disable the Use smooth scrolling option in Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
  2. Click to clear the Use smooth scrolling check box.

Thanks for reading.

~Retro

#3 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

Hello there,

Is this affecting your system at all? If it is, i found a post on Microsoft's support forum that asked the same thing.

You might want to try this. 

Tell me if this work and if its affecting your system at all.

The Graphics Device Interface (GDI) subsystem on the computer is responsible for rendering information on the screen. GDI accepts requests for the display of information from several applications or services. When you scroll through a Web page by using a mouse, a keyboard or a touchpad, and the Use smooth scrolling option is enabled, requests are made to redraw with every line that changes. This behavior may cause high CPU use. Therefore, if you use a mouse, a keyboard, or a touchpad to scroll through a Web page while you play a video DVD, an audio DVD, or an audio CD, you may experience video or audio distortion.

To work around this issue, disable the Use smooth scrolling option in Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
  2. Click to clear the Use smooth scrolling check box.

Thanks for reading.

~Retro

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried it and it made no difference in the problem.  Yes this problem is affecting system performance which is the reason I started looking for what was going on in the 1st place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users