Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't repair or reset Win 10 on Lenovo Ideabook; hangs on splash screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

My Lenovo Ideabook hangs on the Lenovo splash screen and then goes into repair/recovery or goes to black screen--either black with rotating dots, or just non-responsive black. It's running WIndows 10 64-bit.

The system seemed to be working great, but three things happened right before the last shutdown. I granted Sandboxie permission to update. Just after that, Adobe Photoshop said it had encountered an error and was disabling some functions requiring the graphics driver\ (AMD Radeon R5, driver updated last month thru AMD). A command-prompt window with a label something like Microsoft photo file handling popped up and disappeared. The computer froze and I eventually used the power button to turn it off. When I turned the computer back on, it spent awhile checking the disk, then said it was attempting repairs, and then went to black screen. After turning it off and back on a couple of times, I got the Windows repair/recovery menu.

Here's what's hasn't worked so far:

1. Startup repair failed.
  2. System restore ran for awhile and then said it was unable to restore and nothing had been changed.
  3. I tried starting in safe mode and got a black screen.
  4. I tried resetting windows and keeping my files. After awhile I got a message saying the reset had failed.
  5. I tried resetting windows back to original settings (only on the drive with windows). After awhile I got a message that the reset had failed and nothing had been changed.

I checked the srtTrail file when safe mode failed. There were no error codes until this part:

"Root cause found:

Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.

Repair action:

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x32

Time taken = 4984 ms

Repair action: System Restore

Result: Failed. Error code =0x1f

Time taken = 1317953 ms

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair

Result: failed. Error code = 0x490.

Time taken = 3365359 ms"

That's followed by several tests that completed successfully, and finally, it says...

"Root cause found:

Startup repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem."

I tried booting from Paul Vreeland's all-in-one rescue disk, but it didn't work--not sure if I burned to CD properly.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

Was the computer upgraded from a previous OS? If you can recover your data are you willing to do a complete clean install which would require you to reinstall all programs?

#3 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

The computer came with Windows 10, and the recovery menu didn't find any previous versions of windows.

If I can get a clean re-install I'll be happy. Any data that matters is already backed up.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

Doing this may require you to download and install additional drivers from your computer's support site as the iso you will download is not OEM specific. Because your key is embedded in firmware when the install asks for a key click next without entering anything. 

Download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 here. Run it on a Windows 7 or later computer. The program will allow you to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. Some people have had more success using Rufus with the iso file option the Media Creation Tool provides. If using Rufus select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. Select iso image in the dropdown box and click the small icon. Browse to the iso of Windows 10. Press Start.

Boot the install DVD or USB flash drive. When you get to the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart    Opens a diskpart command prompt

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the number associated with the disk you will install Windows on. This is 0 if you have one disk

clean                 Deletes all current partitions on the drive and sets up the drive for a clean install

convert GPT      Initializes the disk as GPT for UEFI boot

exit

exit

Continue with the install.

Note: You may wish to do a disk diagnostic and memory test before install. You can burn an iso of UBCD to disk. Boot and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. On the Parted Magic desktop select Disk Health and run the short/long generic tests. Under the Memory section run Memtest+86 for at least 6 passes.

In order for UBCD to boot will need to disable SecureBoot and enable Legacy/CSM boot in your UEFI settings.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#5 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

"List disk" gave me a list of two disks:

Disk 0 is 931 GB with 0 B free, and Disk 1 is 59 GB with 27 GB free.

I should choose disk 0, right?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

Do you have two disk in the computer? Before proceeding you need to find out if your OS is on the 59GB disk or the 931GB disk. It's possible your OS is on a small SSD and the 931GB has your data.

Edit: Are you booting from a USB flash drive of approx 64gb?

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 June 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#7 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Edit: Are you booting from a USB flash drive of approx 64gb?

Yes, that's correct. So presumably Disk 0 is my hard drive.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

You are correct. Disk 0 is hard drive you will be installing Windows to. Follow the diskpart commands in my post #2. Good Luck.

#9 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

Problem solved! Thank you for the concise and easy-to-follow instructions.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

No problem, glad to have helped and thanks for taking the time to post the update.

#11 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

BTW, this may be obvious to others but wasn't for me. On the http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ site, download the iso by clicking on the little disk/arrow ICON in the first column, NOT the more obvious links in the second column. Links in the second column take you to the hosting site or to ads, not the download.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I also got caught doing the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users