Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver(s) Update ~ Sequence Advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

Hello!

Laptop: ASUS ROG G60VX 

OS: Factory installed Windows 7 64 Bit (with Windows 10 upgrade)

1) In preparation for the Windows 10 Creators Update, I had a chat session with ASUS inquiring if I needed any special drivers for a successful update. In the process I discovered that there are 49 drivers to update for this laptop AND they are not compatible for Windows 10 to include the 1703 update. I feel like I'm in a big pickle, and perhaps the best solution is to roll back to Windows 7?

From ASUS chat:

We would not recommend to update to windows 10 due to driver compatibility issues. which may arise. You can upgrade at your own discretion .

Seeing here we do not have any drivers for your model running windows 10, as such there will be conflicts driver related which is not able to be resolve. 

The above link will show you all the drivers available for other OS but not windows 10 nor windows 8.

2) In the meantime, to get the laptop drivers current, I'm seeking advice:  is there a particular sequence to follow for installing the 49 drivers? I feel like the computer might get overwhelmed if I do them all at once. (From the link above, after entering OS Windows 7 64 Bit, the drivers that need updating are listed if the information is helpful)

Thank you very much for your assistance  :)

It appears that the best solution I have is to roll back to Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

I would roll back to Windows 7. You still have three more years of support. 

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

Hi John,

I appreciate your response regarding the roll back. Once I have returned to Windows 7, I would imagine that the drivers would still need to be updated.  Is there a suggested sequence for updating drivers?

Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

I would update the following if you have internet. If not install your Wifi/Ethernet drive first then chipset. If you have the intel management engine then install that next. All other drivers can be installed in any order. 

49 drivers seems like an awful lot. You only need to update a driver in Windows 7 if there is a yellow exclamation mark next to a device in Device Manager.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:57 PM

@ softeyes,... have you considered Linux ?...it may well be a feasible choice for you.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

~John, thank you for the direction!

~Condobloke, your question leaves me giggling! I feel like I would need to return to Kindergarten to understand and learn how to incorporate Linux! I don't believe there are enough volunteer hours here in BC for anyone to get me started from square one.  :lmao:

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:36 PM

softeyes,

If I may ask, if you're already running Windows 10 without trouble, what makes you believe that Creators Update (Version 1703) would cause you any issues?

So far, and I have quite a bit of experience with updating from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, if you are going to have driver problems those become apparent almost immediately.  The updates between major versions don't update drivers as a matter of course, so if what you currently have is working there should be no reason it shouldn't continue working.

I also have experience with folks having some very atypical, but very traumatic and non-functional, updates.  I always suggest, nay, insist, that a system image must be taken before doing a major update so that if something "burps" in the process you can use it to restore from.  Often the second time is the charm.  I have yet to know of anyone with a "happy" Windows 10 machine that cannot upgrade to the latest Version, but as time goes on that is bound to happen, but I don't think we're there yet.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

lol....I know that feeling !!....(returning to kindergarten that is..)

I started by downloading linux mint 64 bit to my desktop. Used "unetbootin" to "burn" the download to a thumb drive

Restarted my pc and had it 'boot' to that thumb drive

Linux mint ran from that thumb drive....I could do anything with it.....browse...watch BC, send and receive emails....etc etc...all the normal stuff...play music...take screenshots....youtube and so on and so forth.....

I learned how to "save" the stuff I played with...like email settings and browser settings, so that I wouldnt have to set it all up again the next time I booted to that thumb drive......

Then one day.....I looked at the "install Linux Mint" icon on the desktop....and thought...why not ?

I did....completely wiped Windows in the process......and have never looked back.

Do I understand the "Terminal" and all its complexities?...No

Do I truly understand just what makes Linux trick....Hell No....I am working on it, but suffice be it to say that i do not need to understand it totally to be able to use it confidently.

Can i use it for everyday stuff.........Yes. .....(you need to make a comprehensive list of what you use your PC for)

That 'comprehensive list ' for me on this PC, is the usual boring stuff that 90% of pc users do each day. ( I have other pc's which do other things)

I just love it. ....Why?...cause it works. Simple.

Questions?...ask.

Updates. Usually take approx 1 minute. I have never had a failure

Malware, viruses and the like....Linux is impervious to them. You will use no AV. Just a firewall.

Drivers and all that stuff....Linux simply installs what you need. On occasion you may need to run the driver updater (built in) to accommodate a particular graphics card, but that is usually about it)

Internet...linux takes care of that

The repository (a software store...exclusive and guaranteed safe and sound) contains enough software to fill a fotball stadium a few times over)

Gone are the days of worrying about downloads from the internet and the usual accompanying malware and crap)

I ramble....have a think.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

softeyes,

If I may ask, if you're already running Windows 10 without trouble, what makes you believe that Creators Update (Version 1703) would cause you any issues?

Hi!

I have just experienced a Dell laptop, Windows 10, fail at booting up after the May 10, 2017 Creators update. The morning after the update, I made an attempt to boot into Windows 10 without success. The failure continued for several days.

I have a thread in the BSOD forum where bwv848 provided exhaustive efforts to establish what might have been the cause of the Dell boot failure. He did find that a graphic driver (and others) needed to be updated. Thread: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/646833/post-creators-update-black-screen/

So I remain suspicious, did the Creators update have an impact with the Dell laptop failure? Did the outdated drivers have an impact on the Creators update process? It's rather odd to me that the laptop (purchased September 2016) worked perfectly for 8 months to fail the morning after the update. (I ended up having to return the laptop)

With the Dell experience shared, perhaps you can understand why I felt like it would be in my best interest to be proactive and make certain that the ASUS laptop had drivers current before the 1703 update would push through. 

You are most correct in that the laptop has managed to work very well with the Windows 10 upgrade on top of Windows 7. 

Hmm...choices. I certainly can wait and see what happens when the Creators update takes place without updating drivers, with the worst case scenario being that I would need to do a clean install (I would chose Windows 7) (a roll back cannot happen at this stage). To add, in advance, be prepared and do as you suggested, back everything up and make an system image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users