Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to BASH Adobe Flash !

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Trai

Trai

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hi folks, I have recently purchased a second hand Dell laptop off Ebay. Got it working ok thanx to help here in the forum, however, one fault,still, persists.  I have tried installing the latest Adobe Flash umpteen times as I keep getting the following notice poping up when I enter certain webpages ...

" Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin "Adobe Flash " from running on ..."

It even comes up when I'm attempting to update on the Adobe page. It says Block or Allow, I click, ~Allow. But it never does !  :ranting:

Is there a nice, simple,non too techy way, for me to install an updated version, Please ?  :( 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hi Trai,

That's the problem with XP nowadays. Many software companies had ended support soon after Microsoft ended their support. I know for sure that Adobe Reader is no longer supported for Windows XP and I have a feeling the Adobe Flash might be as well. The following link is 2 years but there might be a work around in the topic that might help you.

Mozilla Support Topic

Let us know if you have any luck.

Donna :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

I'm running XP right now...I just updated Adobe Flash at the Adobe website yesterday...not because I was having problems but just because there was an updated version contrasting with the one I have installed.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/

Louis

#4 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,412 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

Interesting! Watch and learn. That's my motto. Thank you Louis! :flowers:

I miss my XP's. Time to pull them out of the closet and set them again... :)

A cat named ugly

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

Donna...I just like to live dangerously :).

Honestly speaking...if it were not that the XP forum is still operating, I would be using my Win 7 dual-boot option with a greater sense of safety :).

Louis

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:28 PM

I'm running XP right now...I just updated Adobe Flash at the Adobe website yesterday...not because I was having problems but just because there was an updated version contrasting with the one I have installed.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/

Louis

Could you tell what version you got, please.

My Flash ActivX is 20.0.0.306 and the plugin NPAPI is also 20.0.0.306. Both from Feb.2016. Obviously obsolete. I too read that there is no Flash for XP, and I don't go to anyplace that requires it. Still, your note indicates it's possible to get v.25 but XP isn't mentioned.

#7 Trai

Trai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Oh well ---  " here we go round and round the old mulberry bush ! ....  :smash:

Please see below I downloaded it today - Found in my programme files. :)

ADOBE FLASH 25 NPAPI SIZE 19.38 MB  Version 25.0.0.171  Install date   02.06. 2017

However, Prob is when I go through to the Adobe Website Storage Settings Panel, that I want to use -  You can delete all those nastyl flash cookies with it !   ... :angry:

All I get is -

"This Plug -in is vulnerable and should be updated - Activate Adobe flash - Check for updates ... "   :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

I installed version 25 2 days ago.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#9 Trai

Trai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

I installed 25 2 days ago.

Louis

Oh, now you're just rubbing salt in the wound ...... :(

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

I can't seem to get a full installer like the old ones were to the tune of 18-19meg. This link worked with nothing about "This Plug -in is vulnerable and should be updated..." which I, too, saw previously,
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
I selected XP and Opera/FF, and got both files (activeX and plugin), but they're only 1meg. Not installing. Too scared.

#11 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,412 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

If the file size was in binary then it is safe to download and install. Binary is much smaller. See here. Understanding hex has never been my strong point so I prefer not to pretend that I think that I know what I am talking about. Hopefully one of the other techs/dedicated members will share their knowledge.

From the link you posted, tos226, I went through the motions for Step 1 and choose which OS (Windows 7/Vista/XP).

In Step 2 I chose FP 25 for Firefox - NPAPI

In the Binary box that popped up the file size was 1.1mb See below:

Attached File  flash binary.PNG   26.57KB   0 downloads

I would install it on my XP to verify for you that it is safe to download and install, but unfortunately I do not have a monitor to hook the XP up to and all my other computers are laptops.

A cat named ugly

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

@DonnaB, Thank you. I suspect it's one of those tiny loaders which when executed will start the real Flash download. I hate those tiny loaders. Might push it into virus total and look at the sections they extract.

#13 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,412 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

You're welcome. :)

Uploading to VirusTotal is a good idea. You could even right and scan with your resident AV, too.

I really need to get a cheap 2nd hand monitor. I am missing out on all the fun not being able to experiment. :(

A cat named ugly

#14 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:54 PM

Both files are internally called "Adobe download manager", Both signed by the usual authorities, both inject a bunch of DLLs, use DNS, set the usual hooks to do the job. So the freaking thing will be going out to do the actual download. All AVs say it's clean. I don't have AV, use the old Sunbelt firewall, SSM and MalwareBytes antiexploit. If I decide to install, I'll post back.

#15 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,412 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:18 PM

Donna...I just like to live dangerously :).

Louis

Both files are internally called "Adobe download manager", Both signed by the usual authorities, both inject a bunch of DLLs, use DNS, set the usual hooks to do the job. So the freaking thing will be going out to do the actual download. All AVs say it's clean. I don't have AV, use the old Sunbelt firewall, SSM and MalwareBytes antiexploit. If I decide to install, I'll post back.

Louis. Can you beat that? Now that is what I call living dangerously. :guitar:

tos226, you are one brave woman!

Acronyms! Argh.. May I ask, what do you mean by SSM?  :blush:

A cat named ugly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users