Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is using two real-time protection programs an overkill?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

With the advance in some security software these days, is running both a real-time anti-virus program and a real-time anti-malware program an overkill?  I'm aware that the definition of a virus and of malware is quite interchangeable these days.

For example, I have both Kaspersky Total Security and Zemana AntiMalware running.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

The answer to that question could be "Yes" or "No" depending on the two products one might have running and whether there is any significant overlap in what they're monitoring for.

In the case of the two you've chosen, I tend toward the "Yes," in your situation.  Kaspersky should be more than enough.

Also, you have to ask yourself, "When is the last time I have ever had my antivirus and/or antimalware actually detect an actual virus or piece of malware?"   If the answer to that question is, "I can't remember when," that means you already routinely practice awfully safe practices in your interaction with cyberspace, which is your primary defense.  Antivirus and antimalware aren't protective shields (with the exception of the realtime scanning on download) but are fail-safes.  They're the machine's immune system to attack and destroy an invader, but that invader virtually always gets there because the user allowed it in.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

razz3333:

You might want to refer to some articles written by quietman7, a Global Moderator here, and one of our foremost security experts at Bleeping Computer.

For an in-depth discussion of the issues, start with this article and scroll down to the subsequent articles to get a full explanation of the merits of "layered" security.

Personally, I use Bitdefender 2017 Total Security and Malwarebytes Premium.  They provide the recommended level of "layered" security, as does the combination of programs that you have installed, and various other combos as well.

The real issue is not to have two or more anti-virus programs, or two or more anti-malware programs that have real-time security, because that will cause conflicts in your computer and might even make it more vulnerable.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

Also, you have to ask yourself, "When is the last time I have ever had my antivirus and/or antimalware actually detect an actual virus or piece of malware?"   If the answer to that question is, "I can't remember when," that means you already routinely practice awfully safe practices in your interaction with cyberspace, which is your primary defense.  Antivirus and antimalware aren't protective shields (with the exception of the realtime scanning on download) but are fail-safes.  They're the machine's immune system to attack and destroy an invader, but that invader virtually always gets there because the user allowed it in.

Very well said and a very valid point.  The last time I had a virus/malware problem was when I was using Windows ME, so a looong time ago!  I guess I've been doing something right. :)

Thank you for your input britechguy, it's very much appreciated.

#5 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

You might want to refer to some articles written by quietman7, a Global Moderator here, and one of our foremost security experts at Bleeping Computer.

Thank you Phil, I appreciate your input.  I am very well aware of the top-level expertise of quietman7 and his talent for explaining things extremely well.  I have read and will continue to read many of his posts.  I have to admit, I had not read the post you linked to, so thank you very much.  It was very informative.

Personally, I use Bitdefender 2017 Total Security and Malwarebytes Premium.  They provide the recommended level of "layered" security, as does the combination of programs that you have installed, and various other combos as well.

I know for sure I have layered protection, as recommended.  I decided on Zemana AntiMalware as opposed to Malwarebytes 3 because of some of the problems that some users were having with it.  I realize that Malwarebytes is more established and thus better known but Zemana for me seems to be doing a great job as well.

#6 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

razz3333:

Thank you for your post.  I did not mean to imply that Malwarebytes was better than Zemana.  I have heard good things about Zemana, but I started out with Malwarebytes years ago and it has provided excellent anti-malware protection, so I have never seen the reason to try other competing products.

Another product worth mentioning is Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which combines anti-virus (Bitdefender scan engine) with Emsisoft's own anti-malware scanner all in one program.

As quietman7 has stated often, there is no one best solution for everyone.  The selection of protection software is a personal decision, based on personal needs and preferences.

I think that you currently have an excellent protection package that should serve you well.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#7 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

1) I did not mean to imply that Malwarebytes was better than Zemana.

2) Another product worth mentioning is Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which combines anti-virus (Bitdefender scan engine) with Emsisoft's own anti-malware scanner all in one program.

3) As quietman7 has stated often, there is no one best solution for everyone.  The selection of protection software is a personal decision, based on personal needs and preferences.

4) I think that you currently have an excellent protection package that should serve you well.

Hi Phil, thank you for posting and all the info, I really appreciate your effort.  To simplify my response I've numbered your points above  :-)

1) Sorry if I gave the impression that you were implying Malwarebytes was better than Zemana, I know you weren't.

2) I agree regarding Emsisoft Anti-Malware.  It seems like an excellent product.

3) I agree 100% with you and quietman7.  What's best for one user may not be best for another, but all should follow established guidelines.

4) It looks like we both have an excellent protection package that should serve us both well.  :)

Best Regards,

Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users