Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start Up, Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 julie.connor

julie.connor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:02 AM

I am by no means an expert so I'll have to explain this as well as I can (sorry if it sounds dumb!)
Since I got a shiny new laptop my old pc has thrown a strop and won't start up. When i turn it on there is no 'bleep' and the screen remains blank. I opened her up and had a fiddle, checked everything was connected snugly, removed some dust, to no avail. Tried this several times, switched it on after a last desperate attempt and it started up! It has run well for about a week, and now has failed again.

The pc is about 5 years old but had a new power supply early last year and a new hard drive 1 year ago. I am running XP (professional i think.... not sure since all discs are long gone and i haven't used it for a bit). I think the hard drive isn't starting up, what can I do? I have donated the computer to my husband who isn't very computer savvy, and he can't cope with these 'glitches' so I would like any advice which might help! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

Welcome julie.connor,

There are a lot of good people at BC, be patient, and someone will help you.

I had this problem not long ago, and it turned out to be a simple fix.

If you have not done so already, 're-seat' ALL cards, and cable connections. If your computer had been moved, the slightest flex in the board can cause a bad connection...

After I unplugged everything, and plugged it all back in (one at a time!!), mine worked fine.

Hope that helps...

#3 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:59 AM

:thumbsup: Would you believe.....a friend of mine JUST called me with the SAME problem...when it rains, it pours!!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

What you described sounds like a hardware problem rather than software.

Try disconnecting all the power supply's connections and reconnecting them snugly.

The fact that nothing happened when you powered the system on points to a problem either with the power supply or the on switch or possibly the motherboard because after you did some moving of the wiring (and to some degree some movement of the motherboard by moving the wiring) it powered up.

Make sure the power cable itself is firmly plugged in (and getting power from the wall outlet) and providing power - sometimes the most basics are the cause of problems. You can test the power cord by using it as an extension cord and pluging a lamp into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users