Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard front panel audio connectors dont beep during boot?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DannyBoyRP

DannyBoyRP

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

I have been building a couple of computers throughout my life but I have been experiencing one weird problem I couldn't figure out 

My pc builds are basic and functional, but I every time when I would connect a computer case ac97\HD Audio to the front panel of the motherboard itself, the computer would never beep during a functional boot or when theres boot problems

Like, how do I put together? the computer powers up fine, but the computer doesnt beep? 
There were times when I had like ram sticks that were too loss, nonfunctional fans or other hardware problem that prevented my computer from booting, but in neither of the events the case would ever beep!

I always have been connecting the HD Audio or AC'97 connecters correctly from the case to the motherboard but it never seem to work

I even tried to instal a Realtek driver on all computers cases and motherboards I have build, but no dice.

Is there something that I am doing that is wrong? is there a necessary step? are you suppose to confirm the beep source in the bios settings?

how do i make my pc beep!!

i want it to beep!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

The post beep happens before windows is loaded. Any Windows sound drivers have no affect on this beep. Motherboards have a speaker jumper for attaching a small speaker that gives the beep code or the speaker is soldered to the motherboard. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-PC-Motherboard-Project-Speaker-Buzzer-with-Dupont-4-Pin-Connector-2pcs-Q47-/152257723072?hash=item2373447ac0:g:QGIAAOSwCGVX9GIa

Edit: The motherboard header for the speaker is not the same as the front panel header 

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 June 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#3 DannyBoyRP

DannyBoyRP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

Oh yeah, I know the beep is happens before the windows loaded

But when I connect the case to the AC'97 or HD Audio on front panel of the motherboard, I never get any beeps! neither when I have hardware problems! 

Unless the AC'97\HD Audio are not responsible for giving away beep noises?

Why doesnt my computer deliver The Beep 

Edited by DannyBoyRP, 01 June 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

You are correct, AC97/HD is not responsible for the post beep. In fact you should get a post beep without the hard drive installed. You need to either have a speaker attached directly to the motherboard like in the below image or use a speaker attached to the MB header like the one I linked to. You need to check your MB manual for the location  where you attach the PC speaker.

http://www.computeronline.com.au/products.php?C_ID=5&S_ID=28&s_item=44387&PROD=44387

Soldered to the MB

107334.jpg

#5 DannyBoyRP

DannyBoyRP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

Oh!!! that makes more sense! I dont know where I got the idea that the front panel audios are responsible for the post sound! I must have read some mislead information back when I was building my first PC which was like 7 years ago haha

It seems like I couldnt locate an internal speaker on my motherboard (gigabyte h97-hd3) so I guess if I want to receive post sounds I'd have to buy a buzzer! weird that at least two mothersboards that I have bought had no build in buzzers, they werent low budget motherboards either! I had low budget motherboards before and I did receive post from them but, I didnt build those computers though.

So thats wraps up everything! now I know better! thank you so much! that was very helpful! 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

I don't believe MBs include the buzzers. They need to be purchased separately. 

According to your manual the front panel header has the speaker connector for beep codes.

See page 14, If you do not have a speaker connected to the location shown you will need to purchase a buzzer.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97(h97)-hd3_e.pdf

Your MB also has a Front Panel Audio Header which which is your HD audio and not your beep code audio. See page.15

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 June 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#7 DannyBoyRP

DannyBoyRP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Ha yeah! it does! thanks for checking the manual for my motherboard! 

So that settles it! thank you so much for putting some sense into me! now I know! been confused about this for years!

Cool! 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

Your Welcome, glad to have helped.

#9 DannyBoyRP

DannyBoyRP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

THANKS!!!! <3 you have a great day and weekend!!! 

Edited by DannyBoyRP, 01 June 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#10 DannyBoyRP

DannyBoyRP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

Also I have another question!  I thought about making a new topic but I just wanna save up the spam on the forum, so I am gonna ask it here if im allowed!

I have a clean dust free computer, and thats includes my graphic card, I use a compressed air to clean dust and the graphic card is dust free, my graphic card is about one year and a half old now and I have a nice fan setup on my computer that should allow a nice air flow through the computer, like that:

tumblr_oqw7ns4NkN1rbrh4ro1_1280.png

All fans are clean, computer is clean, I used to have a fan at the bottom of the case to encourage air flow from the bottom of the floor but I just removed it to see if it would fix my issue, which did not

I have a MSI R9 390 graphic card and it seems like lately its been running on 64 degrees idle, and at 72c degrees during games, which is not an issue, but the issue here is that its running on 60c degrees during idle!

I have seen that people are running their cards on 35c or 40c and I am afraid that my GPU is overheating which can reduce it's life spawn, the backplate is pretty hot when I touch it when the computer is turned off, not the heatsink though.

Is it supposed to be running at 60 degrees? is it designed that way?

All my computer is all cool, cpu is at it's 35-40c degrees, system fans and case fans, all besides the GPU, and i doubt that it'd be the thermal paste? the graphic card isnt too old and the thermal paste should still be there, and also itd be a shame to open up MSI's monster like cooling setup that sits on top of the gpu.

I cannot figure out whats causing it even though that I might sound ignorant for not even verfying that the thermal paste! 

Is there anything else I didnt consider? bitcoin miners perhaps? 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

According to this thread the GPU temps are normal. Does the case have a fan in the side panel blowing on the GPU?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3z4bsg/what_is_a_safe_gaming_temp_for_my_msi_r9_390_i/

Edit: Here is another thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedMicroDevices/comments/3fmxmk/r9_390_temperatures_normal/

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 June 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#12 DannyBoyRP

DannyBoyRP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hmm, seems like they are reporting tempatures during gameplay while one was reporting that their runs on 35 idle 

On the other thread some folks do have it run aorund 50-60 just like I do, but what makes other users run it on on 35c, could it be flawed driver configuration? I tried reinstall mine but it didnt do the affect but it must be a built in flaw, unless the video card is designed to run around 60c 

The side panel does have a fan build in it, so does the other side panel, the have fans blowing air out of the machine instead of blowing in, I think, I have a Zalman Z11 Plus case which you can find out more about it's cooling setup here

I had a fan at the bottom of the case underneath the gpu blowing air upwards, I assumed that maybe I was playing dummy and just letting the fan blow the GPU's hot air back at it but it seemed like it didnt make a change in the temperatures, the fan was neither a high speed fan

Is it possible that video cards are deisgned to run at 60 degrees? wouldnt that hurt the GPUs's? doesnt it put pressure on them? 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:03 PM

I don't have that much hardware experience so I can't answer if the video card is designed to run at 60 degrees. What I would do is have the side fan above the GPU blow into the case instead of blowing out. You may want to start a new thread asking about normal temps on this GPU. You may get a better response in the System Building Forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users