Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help getting IP address for Modem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Senna12

Senna12

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

I am trying to get into my modem so I can open a port for my security camera system. But I can't seem to get into it. 

I have the internet coming into the house and going to my Netgear CM500.From there I have a cable that goes to a small Trendnet TEG-S80G 8port gigabit switch.  When I do an IPCONFIG /all it will give me an outside address for my computers IP address and for its gateway. 

IP 74.130.20.xxx

Gateway:

74.130.16.xxx

How do I find out my modems IP so I can get into it??

Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

launch your web browser and type the ip address of the modem into your address bar,

try 192.168.100.1 that is the default ip for your modem

if that doesnt work plug your computer directly into the modem with ethernet cable and try it again

Edited by mikey11, 01 June 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

You can't forward in a modem so that is a dead end.  You need to install a router not a switch to be able to port forward.

Here's your manual btw

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CM500/CM500_UM_Comcast_TWC_19May2015.pdf

#4 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

Thanks.  I have placed a router and opened the correct ports. But I still am unable to see the cameras from a device.

So I have the internet coming in, goes to a modem, from the modem it goes to a Trendnet hub(switch), then one of the ports goes to a wireless router( I have turned the wireless part off). I have tried the cable from the hub to the uplink port on the router and I have tried it in just a regular port on the router,  Neither one seems to be working.  Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Should it go to a regular port or the uplink port. But either one I have tried doesn't seem to work.

Thank you

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Make and model of your router?  You do not use the uplink port.  Should be modem then router with no switch.  Reason the switch is there?  Anything else connected to the switch?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

What port are you using?  If it is port 80, it is probably be blocked by your ISP.  You'll have to check what ports are blocked by your ISP, but common server ports are normally blocked.

#7 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

Thanks. ok. so My wireless router was in the basement and I wasn't getting a good signal so I moved it to the main floor. Since I moved it, all the wired connections(4) that I had connected to the router stayed in the basement when the wireless router went upstairs. So I added a Trendnet 8 port hub from the modem, then I plugged in( all wired) the 2 computers downstairs, boys playstation, cable for the wireless router that was moved upstairs and my security cameras. That's 5 connections which is why I used an 8-port hub.  Everything works except the camera's which I assume is because it is going through the hub.

So, I had an extra 4 port wireless router(TPLink WR841N) that I use to use for my main router before I upgraded to the Netgear N900.  The TP Link router was already configured with open ports for the security cameras.  I just went in and turned off the wireless to the TPLink.

I just tried connecting from modem to TPlink then plugged the cable from the camera sytem into the TPLink, ran a cable from the TPLink to the hub for the other connections. When doing this, I get no internet at all on any of them.

I know this all sounds really confusing and I know it shouldn't be this confusing.  Just not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for all the help!!

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

modem<>router<>everything else

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Some modems have to be power cycled when you change the device connected to them.

If you really want to solve your camera access issue I suggest going to the least amount of equipment possible and then adding the rest once you get the camera working.

#10 Senna12

Senna12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Thanks guys. Must have been the restarting that worked. At first it would work outside my house, off my wifi, but not at my house. But after a few hours it finally started working at my house as well. thanks so much for all the help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users