Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe temps for Xeon W3550

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _Schizo

_Schizo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

I re-downloaded one of my games that I felt like re-playing, and played it for a few hours. I had the cpu fans running at 60%, and OpenHardwareMonitor running in the background. The temperatures were getting up to the mid-70's, which seemed too high for me--I usually try not to let it get past 65.

I went and asked on another forum (I usually do ask the same question on two or more forums, so I can see if the answers are the same) and one answer I got told me that it's an okay temperature. He said to try to keep it under 80 degrees, but that it won't cause any damage up until 100.

Another answer I had gotten said that yeah, I need to keep it in the 60's, like I usually try to, and that 70 was too hot.

Which one is correct?...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

First answer is correct. CPU will throttle if temps are too high. That CPU is also so old that it really doesn't make big difference if it lasts 5 or 10 years because of high temps.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

According to Intel's own spec page for this processor, the Tcase max temperature is 67.9°C, and the unit does not have thermal monitoring technology:

https://ark.intel.com/products/39720/Intel-Xeon-Processor-W3550-8M-Cache-3_06-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

This is consistent with the information presented for this processor at:  http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20W3550%20-%20AT80601002112AB%20(BX80601W3550).html

The Tjunction temperature is always somewhat higher than the Tcase temperature and the Tcritical is higher still.  That being said, I can believe the "keep it under 80" but not the "no damage will occur until you reach 100" for this particular processor.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users