Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatibility M.2 ssd with motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:40 AM

Sorry for all the recent questions, but I'm confused. I'm buidling a new pc for a family member and considered the Asus X99-M WD  Intel X99 LGA 2011-v3 Micro ATX) motherboard and the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB. Before ordering, I emailed the webshop and asked if they are compabitle. Their response was: "should be compatible".

The same day I also asked the same question directly to Samsung. Since the shop confirmed compatibility, I decided to order. Just 5 minutes ago, I received an email from Samsung saying:

"The 960 Evo is a m key drive 22x80 drive. The 2280 is part of the form factor for the unit. In order for this SSD to be compatible the motherboard would need to support NVMe. According to the specifications of the board it seems like the NVMe drive is not compatible because the motherboard does not have NVMe support."

Since Samsung makes these drives I would put my money on Samsung.

Assuming it won't work (the drive and motherboard both haven't arrived), what would be the best solution? I like the speeeeed of this SSD and have this PCIe card which apparently supports NVMe: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0E6-0084-00046

There is one review, which is not too good. Are there better cards from respectable brands on the market? What would you advice?

Thanks!

Niels

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:14 AM

I can only find an X99M WS model, not WD. I would be surprised if the model does not support NVME. https://rog.asus.com/articles/gallery/asus-announces-all-x99-and-z97-motherboards-support-nvm-express-devices/

It definitely has M key M.2 slots with PCIe support.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:03 AM

It does not support PCI Express 3.0 x4 but at most PCI Express 2.0 x4. Quick google tells it supports only PCI Express 2.0 x2.

You're better off with this SSD than Samsung https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2Fqbt6/adata-xpg-sx8000-512gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8000np-512gm-c

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:21 AM

Yeah the manual refers to up to 10 Gbps bandwidth on the M.2 slot, some way short of what PCIe 3.0 x4 would offer.  Bit disappointing considering the platform is not short of PCIe 3.0 lanes.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:00 AM

It does not support PCI Express 3.0 x4 but at most PCI Express 2.0 x4. Quick google tells it supports only PCI Express 2.0 x2.

You're better off with this SSD than Samsung https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2Fqbt6/adata-xpg-sx8000-512gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8000np-512gm-c

Thanks :) The motherboard was on its way (free shippnig). I talked to the webshop and decided to refuse the package for a full refund. The processor was about to be shipped and they cancelled that. It means I have two options:

1) Reorder the motherboard and the i7-6800k and change to a different SSD

2) Use the Samsung ssd with a new motherboard and processor. I couldn't find any motherboards supporting PCIe 3.0 x4 that also support the i7-6800k. If there are: that's a good solution. If not: what processor/motherboard would you suggest to order instead? Motherboard has to be microATX

Edit: would the ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 support the i7-6800k as well as the Samsung 960 EVO at full speed? Link to newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157601

Thanks!

Niels

Edited by nielsvanvelzen, 01 June 2017 - 07:06 AM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

So you are buying new system? Then it makes zero sense to get new i7-6800K CPU.

Reasons: If you for some reason need Intel, buy newer x299 platform instead. If you don't necessarily need Intel, AMD offerings are miles better on price/performance ratio.

So I suggest you cancel both motherboard and CPU orders and get something else.

What you have or have ordered so far?

#7 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

So you are buying new system? Then it makes zero sense to get new i7-6800K CPU.

Reasons: If you for some reason need Intel, buy newer x299 platform instead. If you don't necessarily need Intel, AMD offerings are miles better on price/performance ratio.

So I suggest you cancel both motherboard and CPU orders and get something else.

What you have or have ordered so far?

There's a bit of a time pressure and the new x299 won't be available in NL for the next month or so. For a high-end photo and video editing, I think the i7-6800k will serve well. The i7-7700k is from a later generation, but it's also slower when using software that can utilize all the cores of the i7-6800k. I did some more google search & talked to the webshop and they confirmed that this Asrock X99M will work perfectly with the Samsung 960. This system is for my father, he will be very happy with it as he currently has an i5-2500k :)

My own system is a different case: I have an i7-3770k and Asrock Z77 motherboard. Although a new x299 and i7/i9 processor will be noticable faster, it's not worth the money for me to upgrade (yet). I hope my 2012 motherboard will last for another 3-4 years before I do a full system upgrade to i7-11th gen or similar.

Concerning: AMD: not a very good argument, but I'm an intel user and I'd like to stick to intel.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

There's a bit of a time pressure and the new x299 won't be available in NL for the next month or so. For a high-end photo and video editing, I think the i7-6800k will serve well. The i7-7700k is from a later generation, but it's also slower when using software that can utilize all the cores of the i7-6800k. I did some more google search & talked to the webshop and they confirmed that this Asrock X99M will work perfectly with the Samsung 960. This system is for my father, he will be very happy with it as he currently has an i5-2500k :)

My own system is a different case: I have an i7-3770k and Asrock Z77 motherboard. Although a new x299 and i7/i9 processor will be noticable faster, it's not worth the money for me to upgrade (yet). I hope my 2012 motherboard will last for another 3-4 years before I do a full system upgrade to i7-11th gen or similar.

x99 platform and all Core i7 CPU's currently available are overpriced and/or soon to become obsolete. Ryzen is only viable choice right now.

Lesson 1: never trust webshops.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99M%20Killer3.1/?cat=Specifications

- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**

**Support to be announced.

To be announced, yeah.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99M%20Killer3.1/?cat=Storage

Looks good, not a single NVME drive on that list.

Just buy AMD Ryzen platform. You get proper PCI Express x4 NVME support.

Concerning: AMD: not a very good argument, but I'm an intel user and I'd like to stick to intel.

Well, that's your choice but I consider stupid buying worse product for higher price.

#9 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

x99 platform and all Core i7 CPU's currently available are overpriced and/or soon to become obsolete. Ryzen is only viable choice right now.

Lesson 1: never trust webshops.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99M%20Killer3.1/?cat=Specifications

- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**

**Support to be announced.

To be announced, yeah.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99M%20Killer3.1/?cat=Storage

Looks good, not a single NVME drive on that list.

Just buy AMD Ryzen platform. You get proper PCI Express x4 NVME support.

Well, that's your choice but I consider stupid buying worse product for higher price.

Do you expect the 8th gen i7's to be announced before a new chipset (successor of x299) is announced?

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:51 AM

No. 8.th "generation" is just Skylake/Kaby Lake with bit different manufacturing process. And even if "8.th generation CPU's" would need new chipset, there is no reason to upgrade from 7.th generation as differences are negligible.

#11 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

No. 8.th "generation" is just Skylake/Kaby Lake with bit different manufacturing process. And even if "8.th generation CPU's" would need new chipset, there is no reason to upgrade from 7.th generation as differences are negligible.

Is it correct that the new processors released for this x299 chipset are also 7th generation, but then with a new socket? How noticable would the difference be between this new processor (for example i7-7740X) and the i7-6800k when working with high-resolution phtoos in photoshop?

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

New CPU's are 7.th generation. Main differences vs previous ones:

- AVX-512 (useless)
- 1MB L2 cache and less L3 cache (very small advantage)
- Thermal paste under heatspreader (this "feature" makes all LGA2066 CPU's useless)

Socket is new.

i7-7740X is quad core so skip it. Tbh, I cannot recommend any Intel at this time.

LGA2011-3 is obsolete and these "7.th generation" CPU's have thermal paste under heatspreader that makes run very hot.

Once again, get Ryzen. You get cheaper and better quality CPU.

Intel's most advanced CPU technology

img_3353.jpg

Edited by Drillingmachine, 01 June 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#13 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

I talked to my father and told him that the newwest AMD processors and chipset are rated higher than Intel's and that you get more value for money, but he wants to stick to intel and doesn't like to buy a brand new processor that hasn't proven itself to be reliable and issue-free.

The white stuff is obviously cooling paste, but what are the two parts you are holding? I don't think one is (part of) the CPU cooler?

New CPU's are 7.th generation. Main differences vs previous ones:

- AVX-512 (useless)
- 1MB L2 cache and less L3 cache (very small advantage)
- Thermal paste under heatspreader (this "feature" makes all LGA2066 CPU's useless)

Socket is new.

i7-7740X is quad core so skip it. Tbh, I cannot recommend any Intel at this time.

LGA2011-3 is obsolete and these "7.th generation" CPU's have thermal paste under heatspreader that makes run very hot.

Once again, get Ryzen. You get cheaper and better quality CPU.

Intel's most advanced CPU technology

img_3353.jpg

Edited by nielsvanvelzen, 01 June 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

I talked to my father and told him that the newwest AMD processors and chipset are rated higher than Intel's and that you get more value for money, but he wants to stick to intel and doesn't like to buy a brand new processor that hasn't proven itself to be reliable and issue-free.

The white stuff is obviously cooling paste, but what are the two parts you are holding? I don't think one is (part of) the CPU cooler?

Ryzen's AM4 platform is older than Intel's upcoming x299/LGA2066 platform. LGA2011-3 platform is obsolete as x299/LGA2066 replaces it very soon. So not very good logic tbh.

Ryzen is already reliable and issue free unless wanting to do special tweaks with memory settings etc. And I don't think your father will do that. Software will cause much more issues than Ryzen CPU/motherboard. Or any hardware tbh.

Left: CPU. Right: CPU heatspreader

In pictures: CPU with HS http://images.anandtech.com/doci/11463/intel_core_x-series_processor_family_near_final-page-005_-_copy_678x452.jpg
CPU without HS: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/11463/img_3355_575px.jpg

Obviously in that picture above they have put some extra paste just for show :) Anyway point is that there should be NO low quality thermal paste between HS and CPU core.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 01 June 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#15 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

Ryzen's AM4 platform is older than Intel's upcoming x299/LGA2066 platform. LGA2011-3 platform is obsolete as x299/LGA2066 replaces it very soon. So not very good logic tbh.

Ryzen is already reliable and issue free unless wanting to do special tweaks with memory settings etc. And I don't think your father will do that. Software will cause much more issues than Ryzen CPU/motherboard. Or any hardware tbh.

Left: CPU. Right: CPU heatspreader

In pictures: CPU with HS http://images.anandtech.com/doci/11463/intel_core_x-series_processor_family_near_final-page-005_-_copy_678x452.jpg
CPU without HS: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/11463/img_3355_575px.jpg

Obviously in that picture above they have put some extra paste just for show :) Anyway point is that there should be NO low quality thermal paste between HS and CPU core.

I agree, but its his money ;)

How do you see that it is low-quality paste?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users