Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drives not appearing in LinuxMint?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hi,

I ahve been trying to access a hard drive from another computer that had Windows 10 on it and was stuck on Repair without being able to repair. It kept saying that it couldn't repair even though it never got passed Repair when starting the computer.

You can refer to this post here for more details:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648201/windows-10-not-recognizing-second-hard-drive/

It was suggested to me that I try access using LinuxMint. So now I am in LinuxMint and none of my hard drives (3) as well as the (Repair) hard drive that I put into my computer trying to access the docs on it are appearing in LinuxMint.

My plan was to get the docs and then reinstall Windows 10 on the customers computer and then put his docs back on.

But I still am unable to access his hard drive.

Now I did start out in Safe mode since regular mode put up a large number of errors without ever starting?

Would this be the reason that my hard drives are not appearing. There is no "Devices" option under my Computer?

Should I try a regular start for LinuxMint again?

The drives are there. I find them using the "mint@mint" window. But I am denied access to them.

So, any suggestions here on how to access it would be of great help.

Thanks,

John

Edited by Johnz414, 31 May 2017 - 10:59 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:03 AM

I wrote a tutorial on using Puppy Linux to access Windows files ... https://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=618146#p618146 ... that you might find useful.

I use Puppy rather than other Linux versions because it's a smaller download and because it works with most hardware setups.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

Did you try Recuva while using Windows?

https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Since you are a professional then I highly recommend the Professional version which has saved the day for me on many client's computers. Then of course throw away their hard drive immediately.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

Was the drive primed with bitlocker or has a hard drive level password lock from BIOS?  Maybe an encrypted drive or a drive going bad or maybe the partition was marked as hidden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users