Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Firefox really in peril?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Firefox has been my favorite browser for years now. But something I been hearing for awhile now is that Firefox is in trouble they've been going down hill for the last few years Chrome is the number one third party browser where Firefox is in I believe third place, but when I look up browser on Google Play Firefox is at the top of the results. So is Firefox doing better on Android because of the extensions? And on the desktop I know a lot of developers are angry that Firefox is moving to web extensions and probably the same on Android to. So is there reason to be concerned?

Should Firefox users start looking elsewhere for a new browser? I mean I tried Slimjet and it reminds me of Firefox with all of its customization options.

Please share your thoughts and any info you have on this topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

I've also noticed that with every release they are taking more power and options away from the users and turning the browser into a Chrome clone. If I wanted to use Chrome I would do that... Mozilla has clearly lost it's way.

If they continue down this path they will lose all their advanced users (who are the one's who have really loved and supported the project) as they will all just convert to Chrome, or move away to other fringe projects.

It's a bit sad really. Seems like a case of management making technical decisions, which is always a problem.

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 815 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

Well thats why mentioned Slimjet its based off of Chromium but much more customizable and if I remember correctly it has an option to delete your history and cache when closing it.

But maybe someone should make a petition to Mozilla to keep Firefox as Firefox and not another Chrome clone.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

Well, from my perspective, and apologies to Twain, ". . . the report of my death was an exaggeration."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 815 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:05 PM

Well, from my perspective, and apologies to Twain, ". . . the report of my death was an exaggeration."

I only hope your right. Mozilla needs to get back on track with Firefox. I mean what makes FF so great is it customizability.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,056 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:49 AM

i thought firefox was just going to morph into palemoon? i use both on my mint PC, and they are cross-compatible, it looks like...yes the cache management is an appealing feature

remember when valu-jet airlines "morphed" into airtran after that 1996 crash...maybe that is what is going on ..a tragedy that only a re-badge can help get distance from...

Edited by synergy513, 05 June 2017 - 12:52 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,014 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:53 AM

Ive been tempted to retry Firefox to see if things have changed , but you guys have now answered that for me.

I gave up after Ver 28 with constant crashes 2 yrs ago , and went with Maxthon never looked back , as they say if it aint broke leave it alone.

Im easily pleased if it works and suits my needs i,ll stick with it { Maxthon }, Firefox did work but they went backwards.

I`ll wait if that ever eventuates and try again in the distant future.....hoping. 

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

I gave up after Ver 28 with constant crashes 2 yrs ago , and went with Maxthon never looked back , as they say if it aint broke leave it alone.

It was 3-4 years back (maybe in the FF 20.xx versions) that I made the switch to Google Chrome. Mozilla was cleanly the #2 browser in the World, then blew it with two buggy releases, to include several sub-versions. Google seized the moment & never looked back, taking many Firefox users for the ride. Most never returned to Firefox, today is a shell of it's former self. Even many of the extension developers conceded after making a public appeal to no avail, there's many that will be dropped sometime around Firefox 55, to possibly include NoScript, one of the best security extensions that any browser offers, as well as their popular download manager in Down Them All. 

Firefox was once like the original Opera, with a real community & character, with millions contributing freely to the project, now the browser has fallen due to their own faults, trying to fix things that weren't broken. A couple of days of a bug, I can see & understand, yet 5-6 months is intolerable & idiocy on the part of Mozilla, and that's all it took for Google to step in & takeover their #2 slot. 

Like I posted elsewhere, I feel bad for the community who worked tirelessly to build Firefox (many w/out pay), not the corporation. Mozilla did Firefox in, yet it's still open source, anyone can fork the project & take over, only a lot of resources are required to maintain a Web browser. Therefore, while we may see small projects like Pale Moon, don't expect anything huge to become of Firefox's ever shrinking usershare. Stat counters doesn't lie, just like there's proof that fewer 32 bit computers are online, so are less Firefox users. Vivaldi was a surprise project, many took it as default while a Preview, although they had a leg up, were the original Opera developers, so knew the bumps in the road, as well as how to attract a following, have already introduced an email client. :)

All of this stated also leaves the question of what will happen to an already heavily neglected Thunderbird email client, as well as the SeaMonkey project, an Xfce-like version of Firefox. Thunderbird needs more resources & long overdue. Mozilla seems to be struggling with cash, or that's how it looks to be. :(

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:37 PM

@ Havachat

I haven't experienced any major bugs like crashing maybe you should try Firefox again.

@ cat1092

I just spoke with the NoScript developer and he told me NS will be available as a web extension by version 57 because the other versions are missing crucial APIs.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:56 AM

@ cat1092

I just spoke with the NoScript developer and he told me NS will be available as a web extension by version 57 because the other versions are missing crucial APIs.

I hope that the same applies to Down Them All, as Firefox is still my 'workhorse' browser for downloading large ISO's, has an inbuilt hash checker, which is performed at the end of download, be it MD5 through SHA512. DTA would be a huge loss & it's developers was one of the few who made a public appeal to pressure Mozilla to keep things 'as is'. to not switch to all of these API's. 

Change is sometimes good, although not for the sake of change alone. There must be positives for both the corporation & it's customers (or users), otherwise any change is no more than a poot in the wind. :hysterical:

Note that I do want Firefox to remain on the market, and not on a Chromium base, this makes for good competition for everyone. Otherwise, for the most part, innovation is gone, all Linux browsers will be Google Chrome copycats. Although FlashPeak Slimjet is Chromium based, at least they're offering a 32 bit version for Linux, as well as Vista/XP users. 

Regarding support for Windows XP-Vista and 32-bit Linux

Google’s Chrome team has announced that they will pull the plug on the support of Windows XP and Vista starting from April 2016. We will continue to support XP & Vista for the Slimjet project until the Chrome team injects too much code incompatible with XP and Vista into the Chromium project.

Meanwhile, Chrome has stopped releasing 32-bit version for linux. Slimjet will continue to release 32-bit version for Linux for the foreseeable future despite the fact that there is only a small percentage people who are still using a 32-bit processor these days. It’s quite unlikely that the Chrome team will make the source code not compilable for 32-bit linux.

We don’t want to leave any people behind unless it’s really unavoidable.

Source below:

http://www.slimjet.com/blog/regarding-support-for-windows-xp-and-32-bit-linux/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 06 June 2017 - 03:57 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,014 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:18 AM

@ Havachat

I haven't experienced any major bugs like crashing maybe you should try Firefox again.

@ cat1092

Supesapien64 - I might try Firefox on the next PC i format and give it a go again , No Script was a nice Addon.

Currently Maxthon does what i need , Download Manager , Snap , Resource Sniffer , cant fault it ....yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users