Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finally got Arch installed...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

Well, I got Arch installed on my Dell E6400. Okay fine, I admit. I did eventually give up doing it the manual way and went with the Revenge Installer instead. Makes things way easier! I was messing with it for 2 nights and finally just ended up going the easy route (I have successfully installed it on VirtualBox using the manual method though). Was just not wanting to install properly at all, so cheating works right? I tried at least.

So my E6400 has 4GB of RAM and a core 2 duo. I decided to give Deepin desktop environment a go. Its a beautiful environment as well. Its simple, yet elegant.

Arch seems to be extremely quick while doing basic stuff and browsing the web. No hangups, so no complaints from me.

I would like to update my gaming laptop to Arch as well since its still running Ubuntu 14.04, but it will be a bit of a hassle since I have games installed on there. Gotta save all that data first. Anyway, if anyone is wanting to try Arch but doesn't want to deal with the install hassle, give the revenge installer a try. Linked above.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 31 May 2017 - 06:52 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 849 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:38 PM

Ooh congrats on getting Arch working!

If I remember correctly you were one of the people that replied to the thread I started sometime last year about people's Linux stories but hadn't had time to get Arch running at the time. But I see that you have converted, and I approve! Now to just convince you not to cheat in installing it....

Have fun messing around with all your newfound Linux freedom!

Zach

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

Ah, yup I did! I got it working in VirtualBox then finally decided the other night to get it installed on my "play" laptop.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

I just got a little Acer Aspire one lappy 1 GiB ram Celeron processor, that I am going to put Arch on.

Edited by NickAu, 31 May 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

Sweet! Let me know how it runs.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

Well, I got Arch installed on my Dell E6400. Okay fine, I admit. I did eventually give up doing it the manual way and went with the Revenge Installer instead. Makes things way easier! I was messing with it for 2 nights and finally just ended up going the easy route (I have successfully installed it on VirtualBox using the manual method though). Was just not wanting to install properly at all, so cheating works right? I tried at least.

That looks like the cool way to install Arch and I wished I had known about it when I tried.

I went with the sell out route and installed Manjaro which for me is turning out to be an excellent way to lean about Arch.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

Hiya, Deimos.

Y'know, looking at this thing (and having heard so much about how Arch is the distro to use) makes me think I'll have a go myself. And this coming from a staunch Puppian..!

(Who thought his distro-hopping days were long over...)

My old Compaq PC (Athlon 64 X2 dual-core, 3 GB RAM) was one of those boxes that came out at the switch-over from IDE to SATA (and has both ports). I've been running an IDE/PATA SSD on my old Dell lappie for quite a while now. When I bought a bigger one, I decided to put the old one to good use. The main Compaq drive is a WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', plugged into the SATA port.....but I plugged the 32GB SSD into the original IDE/PATA port, and I've been using it as a giant 'swap' partition for a couple of years.

I might use it for Arch; have a little play around with it, y'know? If I do, I'll let y'all know how I get on with it. Who knows, at this rate Arch might take over from Mint on the Forum as the one we're all playing with..!  :thumbup2:

Downloading the 'Revenge' installer at the moment... I'm right in thinking, aren't I, that Arch is what's known as a 'rolling release'?

(BTW:- There's no shame in doing things the 'easy' way, mate. There's being a 'geek'.....and then there's just being plain stubborn..!! (Or just very, very determined...))  :lol:

I know which path I'd sooner take. I'm all for an easy life, these days...

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 June 2017 - 01:19 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

I'm right in thinking, aren't I, that Arch is what's known as a 'rolling release'?

(BTW:- There's no shame in doing things the 'easy' way, mate. There's being a 'geek'.....and then there's just being plain stubborn..!! (Or just very, very determined...))  :lol:

I know which path I'd sooner take. I'm all for an easy life, these days...

Arch is a rolling release.

I to agree the easy way is the smarter way. :thumbsup2:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Toolman has it right! Arch is a rolling release. Which is actually one of the reasons I want to switch from using Ubuntu (that and its super quick).

The revenge installer is definitely the way to go. Makes it the same as any other Distro to install. Doing it manually is fun, but it can get extremely frustrating at times (which is why I ended up giving up lol).

Definitely post back how you are liking it, Mike! One you get it installed! I need to take the time and update my gaming laptop to it.... maybe even get my Dell XPS 13 running it as well. Though I think I need a bigger SSD for it. I don't want to get rid of Windows 10 on it at the moment. Though I'm not sure why cause I don't do anything that is exclusive to Windows on that machine.

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Ok so if I'm understanding this right all I have to do Is install the Revenge installer and boot from it and then it will install Arch as a net install.

Am I correct?

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Yeah just burn the .iso to CD/DVD or to a USB. It launches a live OS type install (GUI) and walks you through the necessary steps to install Arch. A few more steps than are required in a typical distro, but not many.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 01 June 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

Ok so I don't need to create an Arch iso.

I just create a bootable usb of Revenge and boot from it.

Probably no more steps then a Debian Net install.

Edited by The-Toolman, 01 June 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

Yup, no need to create an Arch iso. I believe the revenge installer actually sits on top of Arch itself. The download was almost 800MB.

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

Greetings, kiddiwinks..!

This is coming to you from Chromium 58 in Arch Linux (64-bit). Very easy install. I chose the XFCE4 desktop (with goodies) because it's my favourite desktop environment. I know exactly what I'm doing with this one.....

What I did was to unplug the external 1 TB Seagate USB HDD, and also the WD 500 GB SATA main drive. This way, Arch has completely put itself onto the small SSD as a 'stand-alone' install.....complete, of course, with Grub2. (Which I absolutely loathe, but there you go...)

What I now need to do is to figure out how to to chain load Grub2 from my main Puppy Grub4DOS menu, so I can boot into Arch from Grub4DOS, just like I do with the Pups. This is my second attempt; the first time round, I chose to not install the boot loader, thinking Grub4DOS would pick it up (it detects 99% of distros correctly, but.....not Arch. Of course..!)

So I figured a complete single-drive install would be the best way to go. Anybody got any ideas about chain-loading?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 June 2017 - 02:50 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Yup, no need to create an Arch iso. I believe the revenge installer actually sits on top of Arch itself. The download was almost 800MB.

I understand now. Thanks

I just need to throw together a "Frankenbox" desktop and I'll be off to the world of Arch.

Thanks DeimosChaos for all of the advice and help. :wink:

The Toolman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users