Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop wont turn on after......

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric16

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

I went to plug in my Toshiba laptop today and it essentially shut down. I waited a few minutes and then turned it back on. When I dud it gave me some weird screen asking me to confirm the time and date which was showing as 2015. So I shut it down and waited for a bit. When I turned it back on everything ran normally. A few hours later while on the computer it literally just shut completely down with no earning. Worse, I can't even turn it on now. And its not even showing that power light being on even though light on the cord itself is on.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2017 - 04:46 PM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,077 posts
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

This sounds like the CMOS battery has died, one of the first symptoms being the time and date going wrong. Most, but not all, computers will run with a dead CMOS battery but you are required to set the correct date and time before thay will boot. This is probably the screen you saw. I have only run into one computer which would not even boot until I had replaced the battery and that was an e-machine laptop.

The most common battery used is a CR 2032 which are pretty cheap, you certainly won't need an overdraft to buy one, and Toshiba are generally fairly good at making these accessible. These batteries are round, silver coloured and about 2 cm wide. To find out how to change it go on to YouTube and enter 'Make and model' + 'CMOS' into the search bar. If that doesn't produce a result enter 'Make and model' + 'Teardown'. This will supply more information than hopefully you will ever need but will include the CMOS battery.

If you had quoted the make and model of your laptop I could have found you a link to the relevant video. This is why this information is important and useful !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,285 posts
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

While I'll second the CMOS battery as an issue.  Laptops are a whole different animal from desktops.  Most of the HP CMOS batteries I've seen have lead soldered to the batter and they are connected to the system board.

This will sound stupid, but if it works it isn't stupid.

I suggest removing AC power and the battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then put it all back together and try again.

#4 GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Did you say Toshiba laptop?  Did you get the extra battery slice?  I did.  I sure did.  I loved that two battery action until..... everything did not work anymore.  I blamed it on hacking the ACPI stack to turn off the main ac adapter feed.  I will never buy the slice battery ever again.  NEVER for another laptop that is Dell.  You need to attach it to the alternate AC power feed which is hidden.  It is available with the docking station.  There is no way to get it to redirect back to the laptop and you are stuck with the docking station to feed power to it.
(yeah I know you bought that extra slice battery... yeah...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users