Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HAO Redirect virus constantly changing my shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 junko142

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

Hi there, new to this forum but heard about it on youtube,

I've had an annoying bit of adware for a while now which redirects ALL my internet browser's homepages to HAO123. To avoid it before i simply used a re-directer in chrome to remove it as AVAST (my initial antivirus) was unable to detect anything.

However, recently i tried to remove the adware. I installed mbam and scanned the whole system and it found the malicious link in appdata local for HAO in chrome, and it was removed. I reinstalled all my browsers (firefox and chrome) and the problem seemed to be solved. However, the homepage came back. After trying Adwcleaner and other tools on this site, i attempted to find and remove the problem, however it detected nothing. So i took to youtube and discovered that it could have edited my shortcuts. Annoyingly it had. I looked on a few videos and apparently simply editing the shortcut removed the problem. However something is constantly changing my shortcut no matter how many times i edit it, somewhat periodically. I edit it, leave it for roughly an hour, and the shortcut (in the start menu) is edited to link to HAO123 on startup.

I've done a full scan with MBAM and Adwcleaner. I've reinstalled both chrome and firefox and disabled all extensions/addons however i have had no luck.

Any help would be appreciated  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,450 posts
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

Sorry for the delay. The infection appears to have hooks. We need a deeper look.
Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users