Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Help With Installing Win8 via Rufus USB

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

My computer is an old quad core, and I don't think it's EFI.  Despite that, two of my drives are GPT and Win8 refuses to install for this reason.  Currently running Win7 installed via ISO/Rufus, and I have Linux Mint on another HD installed via the same method, so I know it works with other O/S's, but cannot figure out why it won't work with Win8.

I've tried varying Rufus several different ways and experimentally changed several switches in BIOS to no result.  Either Win8 refuses to install because the partition is GPT, or the USB drive is not even recognizes and the whole system hangs on boot.

Is there something different between Win7 and Win8?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

A computer does not have to be UEFI in order to boot from a GPT disk but legacy BIOS and GPT sometimes don't play well together.

What is the make and model of the computer? If you know the computer is not UEFI detach the Windows 7 and Linux drives. Boot your Windows 8 disk and when you get to the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following. 

diskpart           Opens a diskpart prompt

list disk    

select disk 0    This is zero if you only have one drive attached

clean               Deletes all existing partitions and sets the drive for a clean install

convert MBR   If you get an error ignore it. This assumes your computer is not UEFI

exit                  Exits diskpart

exit                  Exits command prompt

Edit: If using Rufus did you set the partition scheme to MBR or GPT?

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 May 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

John,

Thanks for the help.  I somehow managed to get Win8.1 installed I think by installing it to a partition I made on my System (Win7) disk and avoided the whole "GPT" question.

But I have another question now, which is how reliable is the upgrade from Win7 to Win8?  I'd use the "Files & Settings Transfer Wizard" as a back-up, I guess, but what about installed software?  I've never upgraded from one O/S to another.  Usually I just install a new O/S and then hand-transfer data from one drive/partition to another and reinstall all the software.

How much of my current Win7 installation can I expect to keep if I try to upgrade Win7 and not do a New Install to Win8?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

I can't say, sorry. I have never upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I believe it will transfer files and settings but it will not transfer your programs. Those will need to be reinstalled.

http://www.avoiderrors.net/how-to-transfer-files-settings-from-windows-7-to-windows-8/

I think you will need a third party utility to transfer programs and licenses. I know Lap-Link is one such program but I have no experience with it. Only that a poster on BC used it and had success transferring everything. I believe the license is for a one time transfer but I would contact the company if interested.

http://ww3.laplink.com/index.php/specialpages/Branded-PCmover-012014

#5 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

Alright well the only reason why I'd do an "Upgrade" install is to try to preserve the installed software and same some of the time required to reinstall it.  The Files & Settings Transfer Wizard worked from Vista to Win7, but did NOT work from XP to Vista.  There's an underpublished compatibility issue and you don't find out about it until it's too late.  I had to install Vista, then partition the Vista drive, install a new XP, them import the saved files and settings into the new XP installation, then migrate the Files to Vista by hand, and I never got the Settings transferred.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users