Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 security

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ragnuts

ragnuts

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

I recently put windows 10 on two of my pc's. I upgraded them both from vista 64 bits. I was told that windows defender + malwarebytes (free version) would be all I need for security. That is hard for me to believe, but I am new to windows 10. Can someone using windows 10 verify this or give me some feedback? I already spent enough money and don't want to spend more if I don't have to. On the other hand I don't want any security issues as well. I always felt that some of these so called free-bees antivirus programs were malicious anyway. I could use any feedback offered.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2017 - 04:48 PM.
Moved from W10 Discussion to General Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:30 PM

Well, that's what I use as my primary (Windows Defender) and secondary (Malwarebytes) fail-safe protections and have for years now.  I have added Panda USB Vaccine as a tertiary.

Antivirus and antimalware programs do not protect you, in the conventional sense of keeping anything from getting in, they are more like a computer's immune system and arrest the invader upon detection, which is generally quite fast.  But there are exceptions, like the recent WannaCry, which Microsoft had released an OS patch to prevent months ago but those who did not apply it were differentially hit by it.

Your first defense is having safe internet use habits.  I haven't had an antivirus positive or malware positive detection in a very, very long time.  I still wouldn't think of connecting a Windows PC (among some other OSes, too) to cyberspace without an antivirus with realtime scanning on download at a minimum.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Are you an experienced computer user? If you are Defender and Malwarebytes is enough.It really comes down to the user no matter what 3rd party AVs want you to believe.Windows Defender is not a second class product.

britechguy read my mind,or was it the other way around.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2017 - 05:25 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#4 ragnuts

ragnuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hello,

Thanks guys for the Intel. So far it has been working fine. Yes I consider myself a good user on a PC but certainly not a tech nor had the schooling for PC's. I do have a degree in Social work. So with that being said I use a pc at work and home. Windows 10 although is much different than Vista. A lot of folks complained about Vista but I really liked it. MS although no longer supported it along with a lot of other software. So I had to get something else.

So thank you guys again, for you feedback.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections is a comprehensive approach to include prevention and your best defense is back up, back up, and more back up on a regular basis. When implementing a backup strategy include testing to ensure it works before an emergency arises; routinely check to verify backups are being made and stored properly; remove (disconnect) and isolate all backups from the network or home computer...if not, you risk ransomware infecting them when it strikes.For more suggestions to protect yourself from ransomware infections, see my comments (Post #2) in this topic...Ransomware Avoidance...it includes a list of prevention tools.

Important Fact: Security is all about layers not depending on any one solution, technology or approach to protect yourself from cyber-criminals. The most important layer is you...the first and last line of defense and security is a constant effort to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not follow Best Practices for Safe Computing and stay informed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

I would not say malware is a security problem..as strange as that seems.  It is how the malware GETS on the computer.  That is the security issue.  Cleaning it off is not a security issue.  It is an issue for everyone that uses that computer.

#7 dantose

dantose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

Computer security is best approached as defense in depth. Basically, what is the chain of events needed to damage your data or system? Lockheed Martin describes this as the cyber kill chain:

1. Recon: gathering info about the system or target

2. Weaponization: determining how to exploit vulnerabilities to gain access. 

3. Delivery: Getting the weaponized exploit to the system

4. Exploitation: executing that code

5. installation: creating those initial permanent changes on the system to secure continued access

6. Command and Control: Utilizing that access 

7. Action on objectives: Doing bad things

Now, antivirus is mostly concerned with step 3 and maybe step 4. Windows 10 has some features that work on preventing step 5. What else can you do?

1. Make sure you aren't putting unnecessary data about yourself and your system out there. 

2. Close vulnerabilities. Disable services and ports you don't need. make sure your router is properly set up (not just default settings)

3. Be aware of the relative safety/danger of any programs or files based on source or delivery method (don't download the bad thing. Don't plug that unknown USB in.)

4. Don't launch those bad files or open those bad documents above. 

5. Don't allow those files you shouldn't have launched to make changes to your system

6. Keep an eye open for signs of compromise. Are weird things popping up in logs? are expected things missing from logs? Is your system behaving oddly?

7. Have backups to recover from. 

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Backing up data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis to protect themselves from malware infection, yet it's still one of the most neglected areas.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users