Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud Sound causes "cracking"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

Hello. When I turn on a loud sound in my computer, such as a music video, the sound coming out of my computer speakers appears to be "cracking", like the noise that occurs when the radio is turned to an invalid channel. This only happens when the sound coming out of the speakers is loud, usually above a certain loudness; quiet audio and turning down the sound level for loud audio does not cause such problems. When the music is loud, it causes a generic "cracking" noise, and the music is almost unrecognizable. This problem did not happen earlier, it grew gradually. Previously, I was able to play loud music on my computer without any problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

Loud sounds create the maximum motion of the voice coil through the air gap.  Larger voltages cause the coil to heat and expand a bit, continued action can wear/rub the varnish off the coil wires, shorting turns and even dragging or jamming in the gap.  That's what you hear. 

#3 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

it depends on the DISTRO.. remember most linux distro's are "open source" and nobody is getting paid.  buggy software...

#4 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

It sounds like your speakers may be slightly blown out.  I have two used laptops that have that problem.  A good set of headphones will stop that.  Make sure they are 48Hz supported.  Most cheap headphones say up to 44.1K. 

#5 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Loud sounds create the maximum motion of the voice coil through the air gap.  Larger voltages cause the coil to heat and expand a bit, continued action can wear/rub the varnish off the coil wires, shorting turns and even dragging or jamming in the gap.  That's what you hear. 

So how do I fix this problem? Do I need to replace the sound card in my laptop? How to do it?

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

Two choices, replace the speakers or reduce the volume.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users