Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Computer Related Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mikky004

Mikky004

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

What tools do I need to build my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

A screw driver, some zip ties for cable management and the parts themselves. You can also have an anti-static wrist band to reduce chance of damaging computer components.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

I have found that a headlamp (i.e. those hiking type lights you strap to your forehead) can be useful at times. Or just a flashlight if you don't want to go to the extreme of a headlamp.

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

rare to need much more than this....

Stanley-6-Way-Multi-Bit-Screwdriver.jpg

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

A screwdriver, a light of some kind and patience.

There are some cheap toolkits one can buy if unsure what screwdriver to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-55-Piece-Computer-Tool-Black/dp/B00004Z6N6?th=1

Or a multi bit screwdriver:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-69-189-Ratcheting-Multi-Bit-Screwdriver/dp/B002I3TDP0/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1496803657&sr=1-1&refinements=p_89%3AStanley%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER

and a flashlight

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Not a "tool" but valuable...the motherboard manual, along with any instructions for mounting CPU heatsink/fan.  As mentioned above by several, I find a screwdriver and flashlight the only "tools" needed.

Louis

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

I will add that a long handled screw driver can be useful at times. I got a couple strictly for the purposes of computer building. When doing the screws that hold the motherboard down, I found that a few near the edge of the motherboard at the back of the case could be a challenge when using a typical length screw driver. You either bang your hand/knuckles against the case or it is a challenge to even turn the screw driver due the proximity of the case back. With the screw drivers I have now, the actual handle of the screw driver is fully outside the case and this mades things a lot easier on the build I just did.

Also, some nut driver heads can be useful. While case typically come with a nut-to-phillips adapter to help install standoffs, I found it just easier to put an appropriate sized nut driver bit on my ratcheting screwdriver. This actually can in very handy this time as CoolerMaster did a poor job on threading three of the standoff holes on my case. It took a little bit of effort to get the standoffs "bite" and I am not sure how well that would have worked with using the adapter and a phillips head screw driver.

Neither of the above is required by any means, but I found them definitely to be of benefit during my last build...in addition to the head lamp I was using.

#8 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Don't forget the thermal compound.  Not a tool, but it will stop the build if you haven't got it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users