Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 not recognizing second hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hi,

I actually have two issues here.

First, I am trying to repair a computer with Windows 10 that is stuck on Windows Repair. When turning the computer on it goes to "Repair" mode but says it can't complete repairs, with no error message.

According to the owner the issue started after his computer automatically updated to Windows 10.

His hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12.

So, my intention was to put the had drive from his computer into one of my computers copy his documents to a USB drive, then put his drive back into his computer and then reinstall Windows 10 from a download

Second, when I've taken this hard drive out of his PC and put it into one of my PCs my PC will not recognize the hard drive?

His hard drive is recognized in the BIOS and as a hidden hard drive in Device Manager but is not recognized anywhere else, including not recognized in Disk Management?

It is working since it goes through repair when in it's own PC. You can also hear it and feel it running in my PC.

So, what can I do to get it recognized in my PC. Or how can I fix it when in its own PC without loosing the customers documents?

The owner wants me to save his documents. I'll do that if I can access it and then reinstall Windows 10 through a USB stick.

Anyone?

Thanks,

John

Edited by Johnz414, 31 May 2017 - 12:59 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

I doubt this is the problem but if the disk is GPT because the computer was UEFI and you are using XP to find the data it cannot be done as 32bit XP cannot access a GPT disk but 32bit Windows 7 can.

If a Windows account was used to login vs a local account it's possible the contents of the drive are encrypted. 

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/windows-8-1-includes-seamless-automatic-disk-encryption-if-your-pc-supports-it/

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-windows-10-device-encryption-key

Have you tried accessing the drive using a live linux distro? Reinstall the drive and see if booting a live linux disk will let you access the drive.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

When this hard drive was on a different computer of mine it did appear for a few minutes and it wasn't encrypted, no green folders. However, I could not access the User folder, it would just freeze on trying to open it.

I have Windows 10 64bit on my PCs.

Edited by Johnz414, 31 May 2017 - 02:12 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Boot a linux distro on your computer. You may need to disable SecureBoot if you have it and also Quickboot/Fastboot if enabled. 

You can download Mint Cinnamon and burn the iso to a DVD or use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. After booting see if linux can mount the drive. Are you attaching the drive internally to your computer or via a USB adapter?

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3181

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=226

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

Internally attached.

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

Give linux a try. I believe the volume name will show up in Mint. If not and you only have the two drives internal the disk you are pulling data from will be detected in linux as sdb. Depending on the number of partitions you will have sdb1... sdb2..., each number representing a partition. 

#7 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

I am in Linux now a first for me.

However I do not find anything other than the Linux OS. I have 4 hard drives (including the one I am working on) other than the 2 SSDs in RAID 0 with Windows 10 on them. None of these are being registered here in Linux?

Is there anything else I need to know to get this to work to show all the other hard drives?

Edited by Johnz414, 31 May 2017 - 06:53 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

I am going to have to boot my Mint and get back to you. There should be the standard file manager in Mint. In the upper left of the desktop should be Computer. Double click it. Are you saying no disk are listed?

If you open a terminal. type in lower case. Click Menu and type Terminal in the search box.

fdisk -l

This should list all your drives. Also in the search bar you can type disk or it may be disks. This will also list all disks detected by Mint.

Edit: If double clicking Computer and clicking on Devices in the left pane shows no hard drives then I am at a loss. I never ran into Mint never detecting attached drives.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 May 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#9 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

They are listed in the mint@mint but I am denied access to everything.

There is no "Devices" under "My Computer"?

Edited by Johnz414, 31 May 2017 - 08:26 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

I can't explain why you cannot access the drives. I think you should start a new thread in the BC linux forum explaining you are trying to access a drive unavailable in Windows 10. You can reference this thread. The Linux experts may provide some additional terminal commands to determine the problem.

#11 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

OK, I'll try it, thanks!

John

Albert Einstein.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Your Welcome, and good luck. Perhaps the problem resides in Windows 10. I am not sure. I am currently posting form Mint on a live DVD and my disk is detected although I am using Windows 7.

#13 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

Now I am in LinuxMint under Safe mode if that would keep me from accessing my hard drives and keep "Devices" from appearing under My Computer?

When trying to start under regular start I got a large number of errors and it never started. Maybe I didn't wait long enough?

It did take a long time under Safe mode anyhow but much less errors.

Edited by Johnz414, 31 May 2017 - 11:02 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:23 PM

Have you tried Minitool Power Data Recovery?  If the drive is damaged then Linux Mint wont get to it without advanced knowledge.  You can only recover a small amount of data with the free tool but it works most of the time.

https://www.powerdatarecovery.com/power-data-recovery.html

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

I'm not familiar with Safe Mode in Linux. There is a Recovery Mode but this is after linux is installed. What software did you use to burn the linux iso file? Using Minitools is a good idea if you can see the hard drive when launching it.

Do you still have the computer the hard drive was removed from? Possibly reinstalling the drive and booting the linux DVD would give better results.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 June 2017 - 07:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users