Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMPUTER FREEZE, HAVE I BEEN RIPPED OFF ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Trai

Trai

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

I purchased a second hand laptop off Ebay  just a few weeks back. Dell Latitude D531  -  The seller's blurb stated the machine had been hardly used. When received it looked in good nick, though I did wonder why the A button symbol was almost rubbed away !

Also, the keyboard was set for USA, ( couldn't access the @ sign ) but sorted that.

Seller has apparently installed the latest version of Windows XP on it.

Problem is, the machine is running slower and slower on the internet, 'til it jams up altogether and I have to switch off after only a hanful of minutes .

I am,by no means, computer savvy, all I know is I purchased a "new " laptop, as I wanted a fast machine, as my old,much used Dell laptop  ( which I'm using to write this with )  is, infinitely faster ! than my recent purchase. Even with years of usage and with tons of files and vids etc on it !

Have I been ripped off  ? or could there be some other explantion for why the " New " laptop keeps freezing up  ?  It's had next to no use from me ....

Please find list of Programmes the seller installed.... Can ANY of these be deleted, Safely ! without compromising the computer functioning as should , might this help with the speed issue  ?

ATI SOFTWARE UNINSTALL UTILITY   SIZE 116 KB

ATI CATALYST CONTROL CENTRE   SIZE 209.09 MB

ATI DISPLAY DRIVER  - SIZE  0 KB

BROADCOM  GIGABIT INTEGRATED CONTROLLER - SIZE  480 KB

BROADCOM MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS  - SIZE 3.31 MB

CONEXANT HDA D330 MDC V 92 Modem SIZE  776 KB

DW WLAN CARD UTILITY   SIZE  4. 27 MB

MICROSOFT . NET FRAMEWORK  1.1 SIZE 0 MB

MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK 2. 0 SERVICE PACK 2  SIZE 302.08 MB

MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 3.0 SERVICE PACK 2  SIZE 266. 39 MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

Well, it's a 10 year old budget model that was reviewed as "sluggish" even then. XP is the operating system it was supplied with, which is now out of support from Microsoft, and not overly safe to use on the internet. Is there anti-virus software installed? Even though it's a slow computer, there's no reason to expect its operation to progressively slow and stall online, but it is possible the system already has malware if not well protected.

The packages you mention are the drivers for the hardware devices in the laptop. What and where are they? If the listing is from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, they are essential for the correct operation of the computer.

As for whether you've been ripped off, I guess that depends on how much you paid for it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Trai

Trai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

" Well, it's a 10 year old budget model that was reviewed as "sluggish" even then.... "

KRIPES !    :mellow:

Platypus, Many thanx for responding to my dilemma so swiftly
Yep,  the list is in the Add / Remove programmes,  so I, ll let them stay ! 

The laptop didn't arrive with Anti-malware software on it.  However, I did install Zone Alarm Free. Then,
a few days later , decided to uninstall Zone Alarm, as A )  I wondered if Zone alarm was the culprit slowing my comp
and B )  I got a bit put off Zone Alarm after I read on -line that Z A had been using scare tactics to boost it's sales..

I might well reinstall Z A mind you, as they do offer a free firewall unlike most other free Anti-malware companies..

I won the top bid for the comp at £42.00  ,  Was I a mug,then  ? .... bit of a habit unfortunately ... :orange:

A little earlier today I decided to uninstall a couple of items which I installed myself on the comp, Ccleaner and Cookie Cleaner.. The comp does appear to be running a little faster since then ... so I'll see how it goes ...

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2017 - 02:32 PM.
Fixed content - Hamluis.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:03 PM

If you've been online without AV installed, it's possible the computer has been compromised, slowing down and stalling could result from something like being zombified (becoming part of a botnet). Considering the modest performance of the unit, it might be worth considering learning to use Linux, which won't have the security challenges of taking XP online.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Trai

Trai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:10 AM

Considering the modest performance of the unit, it might be worth considering learning to use Linux, which won't have the security challenges of taking XP online.

I wil,most certainly, check out Linux..only hope it is not too challenging...anything much beyond
dimwit level I do struggle with I must confess  !  ... :bubbles:

Must say comp does appear to be running so much better, already, ( Im using it right now ! ) so maybe there was some malware or glitch in the apps I got rid of ...

One,final, minor prob is a grey box keeps popping up on start up-  Headline reads -

OPEN FILE - SECURITY WARNING
The Publisher could not be verified
Name Soda_Pdf_desktop Installer.exe
Publisher unknown

I am unable to get rid of this pop up, have clicked - Cancel , many times, but it just comes back every time I start up the comp,  What do I do  ?  I do not want  to run the application ...

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=+OPEN+FILE+-+SECURITY+WARNING&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=Name+Soda_Pdf_desktop+Installer.exe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2017 - 07:13 AM.

#7 Trai

Trai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Many thanx for your response, I have,at last,got rid of that awful Soda pop-up  :bananas:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

:thumbup2:, happy computing :).

Louis

#9 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

What was the keyboard supposed to be set for?

YOu didnt post your pc specs. That would help on it being slugged or not. As for your list of utilities I wouldnt uninstall any that you listed. Usually what I do if i want to uninstall something I think looks stupid is I check online before I uninstall it. Usually telling me whether its important or not. A good step I tend to take if my pc is slow is take off programs from the boot ex: loading pc. XP has one and you can get several simple programs online but I suggest ccleaner. Ccleaner could also help you clear up some junk like temporary files. Though Ive cheap bad computers Ive noticed speed usually depends on other things other than the computer. Such as installed junk such as viruses. Even antiviruses tend to slow down your pc. What type of OS are you running? Linux could be heavy too. It does update. There are decent antiviruses that are light. Have you run any antivirus scans yet?

I dont think you got ripped off. The price is decent though I wouldnt buy a dell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users